|Vice Chancellor of Austria|
21 April 2011
|Preceded by||Josef Pröll|
|Federal Minister for European and International Affairs|
2 December 2008
|Preceded by||Ursula Plassnik|
21 December 1959 |
|Political party||Austrian People's Party|
|Alma mater||University of Vienna|
Michael Spindelegger (born December 21, 1959) is an Austrian politician. He is serving in the cabinet of Chancellor Werner Faymann as Foreign Minister of Austria since 2008; additionally, he is Vice Chancellor since 2011. Spindelegger is also the leader of the Austrian People's Party (ÖVP) since 2011.
Early and personal life
Spindelegger was born in Mödling, Lower Austria. He went to school in Hinterbrühl (1965–1969) and to the gymnasium Keimgasse in Mödling (1969–1977). From 1977 to 1978 he served for one year in the Austrian Armed Forces, being trained as a reserve officer. From 1978 he studied law at the University of Vienna, and received a doctorate in law in 1983.
From 1982 to 1983, Spindelegger was Assistant Lecturer and Researcher at the Institute of Criminal Law, University of Vienna.
From 1983 to 1984, he worked as a judge's assistant at several Courts of Law in Vienna, and from 1984 to 1987 as a civil servant for the Federal State of Lower Austria.
From 1992 to 1993, Spindelegger was Member of the Federal Council of Austria.
From December 1993 to March 1995, and since October 1996, he is member of the National Council of Austria (Nationalrat). Between October 1996 and October 2006, he was his party's Speaker on Foreign Affairs, and head of the Parliamentary Committee on Foreign Affairs.
From 1991 Spindelegger was the deputy federal chairperson of the ÖAAB and since 2009 has been federal chair. From January 2000 to January 2007, he was Member of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe, and from January 2002 to October 2006 head of the Austrian delegation.
From March 2000 to October 2006, he was vice-chairman of the Austrian People's Party.
Spindelegger received :
- Grand Decoration of Honour in Silver with Star for Services to the Republic of Austria (Großes Silbernes Ehrenzeichen mit dem Stern für Verdienste um die Republik Österreich) in May 2004.
- Grand Decoration of Honour in Gold with Sash for Services to the Republic of Austria (2011) 
Notes and references
- "Dr.Michael Spindelegger - Curriculum Vitae". Federal Ministry for European and International Affairs (Austria). Retrieved 2008-12-17.
- "Michael Spindelegger im Porträt" (in German). ORF. 2008-11-24. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
- Mayer, Thomas (2006-10-31). "Kopf des Tages: Michael Spindelegger" (in German). Der Standard. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
- "Michael SPINDELEGGER". European Parliament. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
- "Parliament: swearing-in of new Members of Parliament". Austrian Federal Chancellery. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
- "EHRENZEICHEN FÜR VERDIENTE MANDATERiNNEN" (in German). Austrian Parliament. 2004-05-04. Retrieved 2008-12-18.
- "Reply to a parliamentary question about the Decoration of Honour" (pdf) (in German). p. 1639. Retrieved November 2012.
- "Reply to a parliamentary question about the Decoration of Honour" (pdf) (in German). p. 2015. Retrieved November 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Michael Spindelegger.|
- (German) Michael Spindelegger at the ÖVP website
|Minister of Foreign Affairs
|Vice Chancellor of Austria
|Party political offices|
|Leader of the Austrian People's Party