Michael David Spivak (born 1940) is an American mathematician specializing in differential geometry, an expositor of mathematics, and the founder of Publish-or-Perish Press. He is the author of the five-volume A Comprehensive Introduction to Differential Geometry. He received a Ph.D. from Princeton University under the supervision of John Milnor in 1964.
His book Calculus takes a rigorous and theoretical approach to introductory calculus[according to whom?]. It is used in calculus courses, particularly those with a pure mathematics emphasis, at many universities.
Spivak has also written The Joy of TeX: A Gourmet Guide to Typesetting With the AMS-TeX Macro Package and The Hitchhiker's Guide to Calculus. The famous book Morse Theory, by John Milnor, was based on lecture notes by Spivak and Robert Wells. Spivak's book Calculus on Manifolds is also rather infamous as being one of the most difficult undergraduate mathematics textbooks[according to whom?].
Spivak has lectured on elementary physics. His most recent book, Physics for Mathematicians: Mechanics I, which contains the material that these lectures stemmed from and more, was published on December 6, 2010.
- Calculus on Manifolds: A Modern Approach to Classical Theorems of Advanced Calculus, (1965)
- Calculus, (1967, 4th ed. 2008)
- A Comprehensive Introduction to Differential Geometry, (1979, 3rd ed. 1999)
- The Joy of TeX: A Gourmet Guide to Typesetting with the AMS-TeX Macro package, (1990)
- The Hitchhiker's Guide to Calculus, (1995)
- Physics for Mathematicians: Mechanics I, (2010)
- "The Mathematics Genealogy Project - Michael Spivak". Genealogy.math.ndsu.nodak.edu. Retrieved 2013-09-06.
- Videos of Spivak's 2004 Pathway Lectures at Keio University and the text for Elementary mechanics from a mathematician's viewpoint.
- "Physics for Mathematicians, Mechanics I". Amazon.com. Retrieved November 4, 2010.
- "MathTime Professional 2 Fonts". pctex.com. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- Guillemin, Victor (1973). "Review: A comprehensive introduction to differential geometry, Vols. 1 & 2, by M. Spivak". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 79 (2): 303–306.
- Alexander, Stephanie (1978). "Review: A comprehensive introduction to differential geometry, Vols. 3, 4, & 5, by M. Spivak". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 84 (1): 27–32.
- Publish or Perish, Inc., company owned by Spivak
- 17 (Seventeen) and Yellow Pigs
- Michael Spivak @ Everything2.com
- Michael Spivak at the Mathematics Genealogy Project