Bradford, Yorkshire, UK
|Institutions||Monell Chemical Senses Center|
|Known for||Work on calcium intake and appetite|
Dr. Michael G. Tordoff is a psychobiologist working at the Monell Chemical Senses Center. His research deals with the genetics and physiology of taste and nutrition. His early work addressed (a) how and what animals learn about the value of their food, (b) how artificial sweeteners influence appetite and body weight, (c) how salt intake is regulated, and (d) how dietary calcium influences salt intake. Recently, he has been investigating calcium taste and appetite. He is the primary proponent of the notion that calcium is a basic taste, equivalent to sweet, sour, salty, and bitter.
- Tordoff, MG (1991). "Metabolic basis of learned food preferences". In Friedman, MI; Kare, MR, Tordoff, MG. Chemical Senses: Appetite and Nutrition. New York: Marcel Dekker. pp. 239–260.
- Tordoff, MG; Alleva, AM (1990). "Effect of drinking soda sweetened with aspartame or high-fructose corn syrup on food intake and body weight". American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 51: 963–969. PMID 2349932.
- Tordoff, MG (1996). "The importance of calcium in the control of salt intake". Neuroscience Biobehavioral Reviews 20: 89–99.
- Tordoff, MG (2001). "Calcium: taste, intake and appetite". Physiological Reviews 81: 1567–1597.
- Tordoff, MG (2005). Weaver, CM; Heaney, RP, ed. Calcium in Human Health. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press. pp. 247–266.
- Cherukuri, C. M.; McCaughey, S. A. and Tordoff, M. G. (2011) "Comparison of differences between PWD/PhJ and C57BL/6J mice in calcium solution preferences and chorda tympani nerve responses." Physiology & Behavior 102, 496-502.
- Tordoff, M. G. (2010) "Taste solution consumption by FHH-Chr nBN consomic rats." Chemical Senses 35, 473-489.
- Bachmanov, A. A.; Inoue, M.; Ji, H.; Murata, Y.; Tordoff, M. G. and Beauchamp, G. K. (2009) "Glutamate taste and appetite in laboratory mice: physiologic and genetic analyses." American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 90.3, 756S-63S.
- De Jonghe, B. C.; Lawler, M. P.; Horn, C. C. and Tordoff, M. G. (2009) "Pica as an adaptive response: Kaolin consumption helps rats recover from chemotherapy-induced illness." Physiology & Behavior 97.1, 87-90.
- Tordoff, M. G. and Sandell, M. A. (2009) "Vegetable bitterness is related to calcium content." Appetite. 52.2, 498-504.
- Guenthner, C. J.; McCaughey, S. A.; Tordoff, M. G. and Baird, J. P. (2008) "Licking for taste solutions by potassium-deprived rats: Specificity and mechanisms." BMC Genetics 93, 937-46.
- Reed, D. R.; Lawler, M. P. and Tordoff, M. G. (2008) "Reduced body weight is a common effect of gene knockout." BMC Genetics 9.4.
- Tordoff, M. G.; Shao, H.; Alarcón, L. K.; Margolskee, R. F.; Mosinger, B.; Bachmanov, A. A.; Reed, D. R. and McCaughey, S. A. (2008) "Involvement of T1R3 in calcium-magnesium taste." Physiological Genomics 34.3, 338-48.
- Tordoff, M. G. (2008) "Gene discovery and the genetic basis of calcium consumption." Physiology & Behavior 94, 649-59.
- Dr. Tordoff's page at the Monell Chemical Senses Center website
- The Elsevier Science Direct Directory of the works of Dr. Tordoff
|This article about a biologist from the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|