||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (June 2008)|
October 16, 1948 |
Detroit, Michigan, U.S.
Michael Tylo (born October 16, 1948) is an American actor.
Among his numerous soap opera roles, he is best known for his portrayal of Quinton Chamberlain (aka Quint McCord, Quinton R. McCord, Sean Ryan, and Quinton Ryan McCord) on Guiding Light. He played the role from 1981 to 1985 and again from 1996 to 1997. He was half of the very popular supercouple Quint and Nola, with the role of Nola played by actress Lisa Brown.
Quinton R. McCord was a mysterious archaeologist who lived in a mansion on Thornway Road. Quinton's housekeeper/ confidante was Violet Renfield, the widow of Quinton/ Sean's late mentor, Professor Archibald O. Renfield. Quinton's best friend and fencing partner was Gunther Lugosi, and his arch-enemy was fellow archaeologist and former classmate at Oxford University Silas Crocker (portrayed by Benjamin Hendrickson). Both Gunther and Silas met violent demises during the course of Quint's time in Springfield (the fictional setting of Guiding Light). Quinton was created by soap opera head writer Douglas Marland. Pat Falken Smith, who succeeded Marland as head writer on both General Hospital and Guiding Light, explored Quinton's tortured past, angst-filled affair with Nola, and constant succession of secrets and revelations in such depth that for a time Quint almost became the show's pivotal character. Quint's introspective, cerebral, and gloomily romantic nature set him apart from all other previous soap leading men (save possibly for some of Dark Shadows' anti-heroes). His personality alternated between tranquil passivity and intense passion and rage, and Michael Tylo created an indelible characterization that won him many loyal fans.
McCord's story arc in Tylo's first two years on Guiding Light paid homage to gothic and romantic fictions such as the novels (and their cinematic adaptations) Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights; the 1931 film Dracula; and the gothic soap opera Dark Shadows. Quint's occupation as an archaeologist and his occasional donning of a fedora were possibly inspired by the character Indiana Jones from the then-recent film Raiders of the Lost Ark. It is possible, given Marland's affinity for classic and pulp literature that McCord was also partially inspired by H. Rider Haggard's character Allan Quatermain, who was a heavy influence on the Indiana Jones character.
Tylo also appeared on the soap operas All My Children (as Matt Connolly), General Hospital (as Charlie Prince), and The Young and the Restless (as Alex Bladeson and Rick Bladeson). He also made a brief appearance in The Bold and the Beautiful (as Sherman Gale). In addition to soaps, Tylo has done several movie and television roles, including two seasons as Alcalde Luis Ramon in Zorro and as Dee Boot in Lonesome Dove.
Tylo is a full-time professor at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, teaching in the film and theatre departments of the College of Fine Arts. He has also been appearing in several productions at the Nevada Conservatory Theatre, most recently in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, Twelfth Night and Come Back, Little Sheba.
Tylo was born in Detroit, Michigan, the son of Margaret and Edward Tylo, a plumber. He has three children with his ex-wife Hunter Tylo: son Michael "Mickey" Edward II (April 24, 1988 - October 18, 2007), and daughters Izabella Gabrielle (November 12, 1996) and Katya Ariel (January 15, 1998), as well as a stepson Christopher "Chris" Morehart (January 22, 1980), from Hunter Tylo's first marriage to Tom Morehart.
In 1998, his infant daughter Katya was diagnosed with a rare cancer of the eye called retinoblastoma. Doctors removed the eye and began chemotherapy, but later in the year a tumor was detected in Katya's other eye; to the amazement of her doctors, that tumor soon inexplicably disappeared. Katya recovered and wears a prosthetic right eye.
On October 18, 2007 Michael and Hunter lost their 19-year-old son Michael Tylo Jr., who accidentally drowned in the family pool in Henderson, NV. The Clark County Coroner concluded that "the cause of death was drowning due to seizure disorder," and was ruled accidental.
- The Bold and the Beautiful (Sherman Gale, 2000)
- Even Stevens (Dave Woods, 2000)
- Mike Hammer, Private Eye (Craig Sanderson, 1997)
- Murder, She Wrote (Sonny, 1996)
- The Young and the Restless (Alex "Blade" Bladeson/ Rick Bladeson, 1993–1995)
- Perry Mason: The Case Of The Killer Kiss (Evan King, 1993)
- Tequila And Bonetti (1992)
- Gabriel's Fire (Daniel Kelly, 1991)
- Zorro (1990 TV series) (Alcalde Luis Ramon, 1990–1991)
- Lonesome Dove (Dee Boot, 1989)
- A Man Called Hawk (1989)
- General Hospital (Charlie Prince, 1989)
- All My Children (Matt Connolly, 1986–1988)
- The Insiders (1985 or 1986)
- Guiding Light (Quinton Chamberlain/ Quint McCord, aka Sean Ryan, 1981–1985, 1996–1997)
- Another World (Lord Peter Belton)
- Michael Tylo Online | Credits
- Michael Tylo Online | Bio
- http://film.unlv.edu/bios/bio_tylo.html UNLV Film Department Faculty Bios - Michael Tylo
- http://theatre.unlv.edu/bios.html UNLV Department of Theatre - Faculty/Staff Bios
- UNLV Information Blog - The Nevada Conservatory Theatre at UNLV Opens The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie October 5
- UNLV Information Blog - The Nevada Conservatory Theatre at UNLV Opens Shakespeare's Twelfth Night December 1
- UNLV Information Blog - William Inge's "Come Back, Little Sheba" opens February 8 at UNLV
- Michael Tylo Biography (1948-)
- Actress Hunter Tylo's Son Drowns - Death, Hunter Tylor : People.com
- Usmagazine.com | Hunter Tylo's Son Dies in Accidental Drowning
- http://www.michaeltyloonline.com/bio.html Michael Tylo Online | Bio
- http://www.michaeltyloonline.com/photoskoko.html Michael Tylo Online | Photo Gallery