Umaña playing for Costa Rica
|Full name||Míchael Umaña Corrales|
|Date of birth||July 16, 1982|
|Place of birth||Santa Ana, Costa Rica|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back , Right back|
|2004–2005||Los Angeles Galaxy||15||(0)|
|2004–2005||Costa Rica Olympic||4||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 23 November 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Míchael Umaña Corrales (born July 16, 1982 in Santa Ana) is a Costa Rican footballer who plays as a defender for Persepolis in the Persian Gulf Pro League and the Costa Rica national football team.
Umaña was released by Galaxy after the 2005 season after an unsuccessful campaign, and returned to Costa Rica to play for Brujas. He moved back to Herediano in 2006, and transferred to Liberia Mia in 2007, where he spent the next three seasons.
After winning the 2009 Torneo Verano of the Primera División de Costa Rica in with Liberia Mia, Umaña returned to the United States in 2010 to play for his former club's cross-town rivals, Chivas USA. Umaña scored his first goal with Chivas USA in a Superliga 2010 match against Puebla.
On 17 August 2014, Umaña joined Persepolis after passing medical tests. He signed a two-year contract with the club and was given the number 4 shirt. He made his debut for the club on 25 August in 1–1 draw against Padideh.
Club career statistics
- As of 23 November 2014
|Persepolis||2014–15||Persian Gulf Pro League||11||0||1||0||0||0||12||0|
- Assist Goals
Umaña played for the Costa Rican national team at various youth levels, and was part of their squad at the 2004 Summer Olympics, before becoming part of the senior squad for the 2006 FIFA World Cup qualification campaign. He played in all three of Costa Rica's group matches at the 2006 FIFA World Cup, as the team was eliminated without winning a point.
In June 2014, Umaña was named in Costa Rica's squad for the 2014 FIFA World Cup. In the team's team's first two group matches, he and his central defensive colleagues Giancarlo González and Óscar Duarte allowed only one goal as Los Ticos beat Uruguay (3–1) and Italy (1–0) to qualify for the knockout stage. During the round of 16, Umaña converted Costa Rica's decisive fifth kick in a 5–3 penalty shootout defeat of Greece. In the quarter-final against the Netherlands, Umaña was one of two Costa Ricans to have his kick saved by Tim Krul in a 4–3 penalty shootout loss.
Los Angeles Galaxy
- Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup (1): 2005
- Major League Soccer MLS Cup (1): 2005
- Major League Soccer Western Conference Championship (1): 2005
- Serrano, Adam (4 January 20012). "Chivas USA part ways with Umana, three others". Major League Soccer. Check date values in:
- FC Perspolis: Michael Umaña joins Persepolis
- FC Perspolis: Michael Umaña Register Conteract
- IranLeague: Persepolis Vs Padideh match Summary
- "Michael URENA". FIFA. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- "Costa Rica World Cup 2014 squad". The Telegraph. 2 June 2014. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- "Uruguay 1-3 Costa Rica". BBC. 14 June 2014. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- "Italy 0-1 Costa Rica". BBC. 20 June 2014. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- "Costa Rica 1-1 Greece". BBC. 29 June 2014. Retrieved 30 June 2014.
- "Netherlands 0-0 Costa Rica". BBC. 5 June 2014. Retrieved 6 June 2014.