Michael V. Drake
||This article has an unclear citation style. (January 2014)|
|Michael V. Drake|
|Dr. Michael V. Drake|
|15th President The Ohio State University|
June 30, 2014 – present
|Preceded by||Joseph A. Alutto|
July 9, 1951 |
New York City, New York
|Alma mater||Stanford University
University of California, San Francisco
|Website||Office of the President|
Prior to joining Ohio State, he served as the fifth chancellor of the University of California, Irvine (UCI). Prior to his appointment at UCI, he had a dual appointment at the Office of the President of the University of California as the director of policy for the five University of California medical schools and other health sciences programs, while continuing to hold his long-held appointment at University of California, San Francisco in the department of ophthalmology.
Drake was a vocal opponent of Proposition 209, often leading forums on the UCSF campus to garner opposition to it. He is an African-American physician who graduated from Stanford University and attended medical school at UCSF. After an ophthalmology residency, his concentration was academic medicine, at one point responsible for the oversight of grants in excess of $10 million. He served as Director of Admissions at UCSF medical school and sat on the resident selection committee for the Department of Ophthalmology prior to his appointment at the Office of the President. His annual $350,000 salary remained unchanged from his previous position as Office of the President, up from $70,000 paid to the previous UCI chancellor. As of 2010 he earned $374,969.32.
During his time at UCI, he was well known for the public firing (and subsequent rehiring) of Erwin Chemerinsky as the school's dean of the School of Law.
His first major action as university president was to fire marching band director Jon Waters. Subsequently, concerns were raised by some regarding the investigation that lead to this firing. but to date Drake has stood by his decision.
- Date information sourced from Library of Congress Authorities data, via corresponding WorldCat Identities linked authority file (LAF) .
- Yost, Denise (2014-01-30). "Ohio State Announces Dr. Michael Drake As New President". NBC4i.com. Retrieved 2014-01-30.
- "Alum: Claim vs. director 'absurd'". Associated Press. 11 August 2014. Retrieved 6 September 2014.
- Yost, Denise (19 August 2014). "NBC4 Fact Checks OSU President's Remarks About TBDBITL Report". NBC4i. Retrieved 6 September 2014.
- Yost, Denise (18 August 2014). "Did Ohio State's Band Investigation Follow Best Practices?". NBC4i. Retrieved 6 September 2014.
- Yost, Denise (13 August 2014). "OSU President Closes Door To Rehiring Band Director". NBC4i. Retrieved 6 September 2014.
- Office of the Chancellor (September 10, 2005). "Michael V. Drake Biography". University of California, Irvine. Archived from the original on July 14, 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-22.
- UC Regents (May 26, 2005). "UC vice president named new UC Irvine chancellor". Today@UCI. Retrieved 2008-11-22.
- The Sacramento Bee (February 2, 2012). "State Worker Salary Search". University of California, Irvine. Retrieved 2012-02-06.
- "UCI’s First Family" Orange County Business Journal
|This biography of an American academic administrator is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article related to medicine in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|