Michael Wagener is a music producer, mixer, and engineer from Hamburg, Germany, best known for his work with many top hard rock and heavy metal bands in the late 1980s. Wagener's works have sold over ninety-four million albums worldwide. Wagener was the original guitarist for the German band Accept. When he turned 18, he was drafted into the German army and was stationed 350 miles away from home. This made it difficult for him to practice with the rest of the band and hence he quit the band. After completing his military service, Wagener began working as an audio engineer in Hamburg in 1972. Through a friendship with singer Don Dokken, Wagener moved to Los Angeles. In 1981 he produced the first Dokken album, and would go on to produce such seminal albums as Skid Row's self-titled debut, which sold five million copies in the US alone. Wagener also mixed Metallica's 1986 classic Master of Puppets. He also engineered the single version of Janet Jackson's "Black Cat," his only pop collaboration.
Wagener has produced or mixed platinum selling albums by Mötley Crüe, W.A.S.P., Overkill, Accept, Great White, Stryper, Poison, Keel, Alice Cooper, Extreme, Megadeth, Janet Jackson, Ozzy Osbourne, Dokken, Metallica, White Lion, and Skid Row.
- Accept - Breaker (engineer)
- Accept - Balls to the Wall (mixer)
- Alice Cooper - Constrictor (engineer, mixer)
- Alice Cooper - Raise Your Fist and Yell (engineer, mixer)
- Bonfire - Fireworks (producer)
- Bonfire - Point Blank (producer, song writing)
- Dokken - Breaking the Chains (producer)
- Dokken - Tooth and Nail (mixing)
- Dokken - Under Lock and Key (producer)
- Extreme - Pornograffitti (producer)
- Great White - Great White (producer)
- Janet Jackson - "Black Cat" (Single Version) (engineer)
- Kane Roberts - Saints and Sinners (mixer)
- Keel - Keel (producer)
- King's X - Ogre Tones (producer)
- King's X - XV (producer)
- Lordi - Babez for Breakfast (2010) (producer, mixer)
- Lordi - To Beast or Not to Beast (2013) (producer, mixer)
- Megadeth - So Far, So Good...So What! (mixing)
- Metallica - Master of Puppets (mixing)
- Mötley Crüe - Too Fast for Love (producer)
- Outrage - Life Until Deaf (producer)
- Outrage - Who We Are (producer)
- Overkill - Under the Influence (mixing)
- Ozzy Osbourne - No More Tears (mixing)
- Raven - All for One (producer)
- Sergeant Steel - Men On A Mission (mixing)
- Skid Row - Skid Row (producer, engineer, mixing)
- Skid Row - Slave to the Grind (producer, mixing)
- Smashed Gladys - Social Intercourse (mixing)
- Stryper - Soldiers Under Command (producer, engineer)
- The Rasmus - Black Roses (mixing)
- White Lion - Pride (producer)
- White Lion - Big Game (producer)
- Jerusalem Slim - "Jerusalem Slim" (producer, engineer)
- Road to Evenmind - Diagnosis: Unsolved (mixing) Road To Evenmind Official Website
- "Double Trouble Productions, Inc". Michaelwagener.com. Retrieved 2010-10-15.
- "Metal Sludge - 20 Questions with Michael Wagener, 5/13/03 - The Power & Glory since 1998". Metalsludge.tv. 2003-05-13. Retrieved 2010-10-15.
- "MICHAEL WAGENER - The Metal Circus". The Metal Circus. Retrieved 2014-04-20.