Michael Ward (actor)
|Born||George William Everard Yoe Ward
9 April 1909
Carnmenellis, Cornwall, England, UK
|Died||8 November 1997
London, England, UK
Michael Ward (9 April 1909 - 8 November 1997) was an English character actor who appeared in nearly eighty films between 1947 and 1978.
Christened George William Everard Yoe Ward, he was born in Carnmenellis in Cornwall and trained at the Central School of Speech and Drama. Ward won his is first film role in 1947, playing Mr Trafford in Alexander Korda's An Ideal Husband.
In between the years 1947 and 1960 Michael appeared in no fewer than 30 films, making him one of the UK's busiest and most recognisable character actors.
In the early 1960s television started to take over Ward's career, and until his retirement in 1978 he appeared in (amongst many others) The Jack Benny Programme, The Avengers, The Morecambe and Wise Show, Dixon of Dock Green, The Two Ronnies, Armchair Theatre, Rising Damp and Sykes.
After making what would be his last ever screen outing in 1978's Revenge of the Pink Panther, Ward suffered a stroke which forced him to retire. He finally died on 8 November 1997 at St Mary's Hospital in London. He was eighty-eight.
- An Ideal Husband (1947)
- Sleeping Car to Trieste (1948)
- High Jinks in Society (1949)
- What the butler saw(1950)
- Chelsea Story (1951)
- Blind Man's Bluff (1952)
- The Happy Family (1952)
- Song of Paris (1952)
- Whispering Smith Hits London (1952)
- The Frightened Man (1952)
- The Tall Headlines (1952)
- Trouble in Store (1953)
- The Fake (1953)
- Man of the Moment (1955)
- Private's Progress (1956)
- Up in the World (1956)
- Brothers in Law (1957)
- Just My Luck (1957)
- Carlton-Browne of the F.O. (1959)
- The Ugly Duckling (1959)
- I'm All Right Jack (1959)
- Follow a Star (1959)
- The Rough and the Smooth (1959)
- Doctor in Love (1960)
- Mary Had a Little... (1961)
- Carry On Regardless (1961)
- Carry On Cabby (1963)
- Father Came Too! (1963)
- Carry On Cleo (1964)
- The Big Job (1965)
- Carry On Don't Lose Your Head (1966)
- Carry On Screaming (1966)
- Man About the House (1974)
- Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974)
- Revenge of the Pink Panther (1978)
- Walker, John (ed.). Halliwell's Who's Who in the Movies. HarperCollins. ISBN 0-06-093507-3.
- McFarlane, Brian (ed.). The Encyclopedia of British Film. Methuen/BFI. ISBN 0-413-77301-9.