Weikath performing in Nürnberg in 2006
|Birth name||Michael Ingo Joachim Weikath|
7 August 1962 |
|Genres||Power metal, speed metal, heavy metal|
|Associated acts||Powerfool, Helloween|
Michael Ingo Joachim "Weiki" Weikath (born 7 August 1962) is a German musician and songwriter, best known as a founding member and one of the guitarists and backing vocalists of pioneering power metal band Helloween.
Weikath was born in Hamburg, Germany. He started playing the guitar in 1974 and later on began rehearsing with his friends. He formed his first band, Powerfool, in 1978. His main musical influences are The Beatles, Deep Purple, the Scorpions, UFO, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, the Sex Pistols, and Wishbone Ash.
Weikath is one of Helloween's founding members, along with Kai Hansen (vocals/guitars), Markus Grosskopf (bass), and Ingo Schwichtenberg (drums). He is one of only two original members still active in the band, the other being Markus Grosskopf. Weikath integrated the first Helloween line up in 1982. By 1984, the band had signed a deal with Noise Records and recorded two songs for a Noise compilation record called Death Metal. On that album, he was responsible for the song "Oernst of Life".
In a 1998 interview with Chaotic Critiques webzine, Weikath was asked if the band was somewhat spiritual, pointing out the occasional spiritual themes and uplifting melodies on songs such as "Hey Lord". He replied that all the band, except Uli Kusch, were Christian. Weikath stated that he himself is Catholic. Today, he resides in Tenerife, Spain.
- Helloween (1985)
- Walls of Jericho (1985)
- Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 1 (1987)
- Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 2 (1988)
- Pink Bubbles Go Ape (1991)
- Chameleon (1993)
- Master of the Rings (1994)
- The Time of the Oath (1996)
- Better Than Raw (1998)
- Metal Jukebox (1999)
- The Dark Ride (2000)
- Rabbit Don't Come Easy (2003)
- Keeper of the Seven Keys: The Legacy (2005)
- Gambling with the Devil (2007)
- Unarmed – Best of 25th Anniversary (2009)
- 7 Sinners (2010)
- Straight Out of Hell (2013)
- Div and 1973 Marshall amp (50-watt)
- Div and 1982 Marshall amp (100-watt)
- Div ENGL amps
- DigiTech GSP1101 Guitar Multi Effects Processor
- Vox AC30 Orange Overdrive amp
- 1990 Gibson Les Paul black
- 1990 Gibson Les Paul white
- 1990 Gibson Flying V white
- Gibson Explorer custom black/white
- 1976 Gibson L6-S
- 1974/75/79 Fender Stratocasters
- Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
- "Michael Weikath". Archived from the original on 2014-06-27. Retrieved 2014-06-27.
- "Helloween Better than Ever". Chaotic Critiques. 2002. Archived from the original on 2008-01-17. Retrieved 2008-03-08.
- "Michael Weikath". The Metal Archives. Encyclopaedia Metallum. 2011. Archived from the original on 2014-08-22. Retrieved 2014-08-22.