Bastos in 2013
|Full name||Michel Fernandes Bastos|
|Date of birth||2 August 1983|
|Place of birth||Pelotas, Brazil|
|Height||1.79 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|2002–2003||→ Excelsior (loan)||28||(0)|
|2004||→ Grêmio (loan)||19||(4)|
|2005||→ Figueirense (loan)||34||(10)|
|2013||→ Schalke 04 (loan)||14||(4)|
|2014||→ Roma (loan)||16||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 17 September 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Bastos started his career at hometown club Pelotas before moving to the Netherlands, where he played for Feyenoord and Excelsior. He then returned to Brazil, where he played for Atlético Paranaense, Grêmio and Figueirense. He moved to French club Lille in 2006 before transferring to Lyon in 2009. After unsuccessful spells at Schalke 04, Al Ain and Roma, he moved back to Brazil to play for São Paulo in 2014.
Bastos was born in the Brazilian city of Pelotas and began his career playing for hometown club Esporte Clube Pelotas. In 2001, he moved to the Netherlands joining Dutch club Feyenoord Rotterdam playing for the Jong Feyenoord, the club's reserve section. Following a loan stint at nearby Excelsior Rotterdam, he returned to Brazil joining Atlético Paranaense. Bastos later played for Grêmio and Figueirense (loan) before deciding to return to Europe.
Bastos joined French club Lille OSC in July 2006 and made his league debut in the club's opening match of the 2006–07 season against Rennes playing 65 minutes before taken off. Lille won the match 2–1. Bastos scored his first goal for the club against Lens in the annual Derby du Nord and finished the season with a total of three goals. Over the next two seasons, his goal tally quickly increased. He scored eight league goals during the 2007–08 season, including goals against Rennes, Lyon, and Lorient to help Lille finish in a respectable seventh place. During this season, Bastos began alternating between the left back and left winger position.
For the 2008–09 season, he was installed in the left winger role permanently. He scored his first goal in just the second match of the season in a 1–3 loss to Le Mans. Two weeks later, he scored in the club's 2–1 win over Bordeaux and, a week later, scored again, this time in a 1–1 draw with Sochaux. He also scored in a 2–2 draw against Lyon. With the match tied 1–1, Lille had a free kick from a strange angle from 30 meters out. Bastos took the free kick with his powerful left foot delivering it with such power and fear, Lyon keeper Hugo Lloris could not grasp it.
From 11 November 2008 onwards, Bastos scored in five straight matches. He scored goals against Marseille, Lorient, Toulouse, Nice, and Le Havre. Lille accumulated two wins and three draws in that span. Several weeks later, he began another streak scoring a goal in six straight matches. With Lille winning all of those matches, they moved into the European places in the standings and eventually finished fifth earning a UEFA Cup spot on the final day of the season. In total that season, Michel appeared in 41 matches and scored 16 goals, 14 in the league and also assisted on nine goals, which led Ligue 1. He was awarded the Trophée du Meilleur Passeur and became the only player in Ligue 1 history to appear in the top five of both the goalscorers' table and the assists' table since the creation of the assists' table for the 2007–08 season. He was also nominated for the Ligue 1 Player of the Year Award and named to the league's Team of the Year.
On 15 July 2009, Lille president Michel Seydoux revealed that the club had accepted an €18 million offer from Lyon. On 16 July, Bastos successfully passed his medical and agreed to a four-year contract making him Lyon's second signing of the summer following Argentine Lisandro López. He was presented to the media, along with fellow new signing Aly Cissokho, on 20 July and was assigned the number 7 shirt. Michel scored his first goal for Lyon in the first leg of the club's playoff round match against Anderlecht in the UEFA Champions League. In the club's 5–1 victory, he scored the third goal, coming in from the right side and unleashing a left-footed strike into the top left corner. On 21 February 2010, Bastos scored a 21 minute hat-trick against Sochaux, as Lyon won the match 4–0 to move into the Champions League spots.
Despite constant speculation linking Bastos with clubs around Europe, he remained an integral part of Lyon's first team, featuring regularly in Champions League, Coupe de France and Ligue 1 fixtures. He netted the only goal of the game against local rivals Saint-Étienne on 9 December 2012, smashing in a 25 yard free-kick, to keep Lyon at the top of Ligue 1 with a five point gap over PSG.
Loan to Schalke 04
On 29 January 2013, Bastos joined German side Schalke 04 on loan until the end of the 2013-2014 season, with option to sign him outright. He was given the number 9 shirt. Bastos made his Schalke debut on 2 February against Greuther Fürth and opened the scoring two minutes after half-time, but Schalke fell to a 2–1 defeat. In his third game in the 2012–13 Bundesliga, Bastos bagged a brace as Schalke twice came from behind to secure a 2–2 draw with Mainz on 16 February.
Loan to Roma
On 20 January 2014, Italian side Roma announced that Bastos had signed a loan contract until the end of the season for a fee of €1.1 million, with the option of buying the full rights at the beginning of the 2014–15 season, for €3.5 million.
Prior to joining Lyon, Bastos had never been called up to the Seleção. Bastos cited his move to Lyon as an important factor in attempting to earn a spot on Brazil's 2010 FIFA World Cup team. On 27 October 2009, Bastos was selected, for the very first time, by the national team for friendly matches against England and Oman. He made his national team debut in the England match starting in the left back position. Bastos later started in the same position in Brazil's next two friendly matches against Oman and the Republic of Ireland in February 2010 and, on 11 May 2010, was subsequently named to the 23-man squad to participate in the 2010 FIFA World Cup.
|1.||2 June 2010||National Sports Stadium, Harare, Zimbabwe||Zimbabwe||0–3||Win||Friendly|
|Club||Season||League||Cup[nb 1]||Europe[nb 2]||South America[nb 3]||Total|
- Includes Copa do Brasil, Coupe de France, Coupe de la Ligue, Trophée des Champions, UAE Arabian Gulf Cup, UAE President's Cup, Arabian Gulf Super Cup, Coppa Italia
- Includes UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League, UEFA Supercup
- Includes Copa Libertadores, Copa Sudamericana, Recopa Sudamericana
- "BID Acumulativo Série A /2005". CBF (in Portuguese). 8 November 2005. Archived from the original on 29 May 2006. Retrieved 29 April 2011.
- "RELATÓRIO DE TRANSFERÊNCIAS INTERNACIONAIS EM 2006". CBF (in Portuguese). 22 January 2007. Retrieved 27 June 2011.[dead link]
- "Rennes v. Lille" (in French). Lfp.fr. Retrieved 14 September 2011.[dead link]
- "Lille v. Bordeaux Match Report" (in French). Lfp.fr. Retrieved 14 September 2011.[dead link]
- "Sochaux v. Lille Match Report" (in French). Lfp.fr. Retrieved 14 September 2011.[dead link]
- "Lyon v. Lille Match Report" (in French). Lfp.fr. Retrieved 14 September 2011.[dead link]
- "Lyon 2 – 2 Lille : La vidéo des buts (Chedjou, Grosso, Rami et Michel Bastos)" (in French). Fourfourtwo.free.fr. 24 March 2010. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- "Marseille v. Lille Match Report" (in French). Lfp.fr. Retrieved 14 September 2011.[dead link]
- "Lille v. Lorient Match Report" (in French). Lfp.fr. Retrieved 14 September 2011.[dead link]
- "Toulouse v. Lille Match Report" (in French). Lfp.fr. Retrieved 14 September 2011.[dead link]
- "Nice v. Lille Match Report" (in French). Lfp.fr. Retrieved 14 September 2011.[dead link]
- "Lille v. Le Havre Match Report" (in French). Lfp.fr. Retrieved 14 September 2011.[dead link]
- "Classement saison 2008/2009" (in French). Lfp.fr. Retrieved 14 September 2011.[dead link]
- "Les nommés pour les Trophées" (in French). Lequipe.fr. Retrieved 14 September 2011.[dead link]
- "Le palmarès 2009 complet" (in French). Lequipe.fr. 24 May 2009. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- "BASTOS POISED FOR £14m LYON SWITCH". Sportinglife.com. Retrieved 14 September 2011.[dead link]
- "Accord avec Lille pour le transfert de Michel BASTOS" (in French). Olweb.fr. 15 July 2009. Retrieved 1 February 2013.
- "Présentation de M.Bastos et A.Cissokho" (in French). Olweb.fr. 15 July 2009. Retrieved 1 February 2013.
- OL4everdu88. "Michel Bastos goal against Anderlecht". Dailymotion.com. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- "Bastos hat-trick lifts Lyon up to third". FourFourTwo. 21 February 2010. Retrieved 1 February 2013.
- "Lyon maintains 5-point lead over PSG". ESPN FC. 9 December 2012. Retrieved 1 February 2013.
- "Schalke take Michel Bastos on loan". Bundesliga. 29 January 2013. Retrieved 29 January 2013.
- "S04 leiht Michel Bastos von Olympique Lyon aus" (in German). Schalke 04 Official Website. 29 January 2013. Retrieved 29 January 2013.
- "Schalke 04 1-2 SpVgg Greuther Furth". ESPN FC. 2 February 2013. Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- "Mainz 2-2 Schalke 04". ESPN FC. 16 February 2013. Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- "CORPORATE: MICHEL BASTOS" (PDF) (in Italian). A.S. Roma. 20 January 2014. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- "Michel Bastos chega a SP nesta quarta para assinar com o Tricolor" (in Portuguese). Globoesporte.com. 13 August 2014. Retrieved 13 August 2014.
- "OL Web Interview". Olweb.fr. Retrieved 14 September 2011.[dead link]
- "Aurelio recalled by Brazil for England friendly". soccernet.com. 27 October 2009. Retrieved 28 October 2009.
- "Dunga names his Seleção". FIFA.com. PA. 11 May 2010. Retrieved 1 February 2013.
- "Dunga convocou para a Copa do Mundo 22 jogadores relacionados para o último amistoso, contra a Irlanda, em março". CBF.com.br (in Portuguese). 11 May 2010. Retrieved 12 May 2010.[dead link]
- "Brazil - Michel Bastos - Profile with news, career statistics and history". Soccerway.com. Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- "Michel Bastos - biography, stats, rating, footballer's profile". FootballTop.com. Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- "Lyon win French Cup final to deny historic attempt by amateurs Quevilly". The Guardian. Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- Michel Bastos at National-Football-Teams.com
- Michel Fernandes Bastos profile – L'Equipe.fr
- OL Profile