Michel Chossudovsky (born 1946) is a Canadian economist. A professor of economics (emeritus) at the University of Ottawa, Chossudovsky has been a visiting professor internationally, and has been an adviser to governments of developing countries. He is the author of The Globalization of Poverty and The New World Order (2003) and America's "War on Terrorism" (2005) and Towards a World War III Scenario: The Dangers of Nuclear War (2011).
Chossudovsky joined the University of Ottawa in 1968. He was a visiting professor at the Pontifical Catholic University of Chile during the 1970-1973 government of Salvador Allende, and it was the effects of General Augusto Pinochet's post-coup policies which sparked his interest on "economic repression". Pinochet's government among other measures quadrupled the price of bread, and Chossudovsky set out to examine the social effects, concluding that the government was engaging not merely in conventional political repression, but also in "economic repression". Chossudovsky subsequently examined these types of economic policies in a wide range of countries, often associated with International Monetary Fund and/or World Bank programs. One of Chossudovsky's policy conclusions was the corrosive effect of tax havens, which he argued in a world of increasingly mobile capital had facilitated the "criminalization" of the global economy through movements of large amounts of drug money and other illegal finance: "This critical drain of billions of dollars in capital flight dramatically reduces state tax revenues, paralyses social programs, drives up budget deficits and spurs the accumulation of large public debts."
In 2001, Chossudovsky founded the Centre for Research on Globalisation (CRG), located in Montreal, Canada, becoming its editor and director. It is "committed to curbing the tide of globalisation and disarming the new world order". CRG maintains websites in several languages, including the English-language GlobalResearch.ca, which are critical of United States foreign policy and NATO as well as the official explanation of the September 11 attacks in 2001 and the war on terror. He said that the Free Syrian Army was created by NATO. Chossudovsky also claimed that deaths of protesters in the Maidan Square in Kiev were "triggered by Neo-Nazi elements", used "to break the legitimacy of a duly elected government." He is a favoured commentator at Russia Today. His opinion is regularly asked for by Press TV. Chossudovsky is interviewed in the documentary film The Weight of Chains, of which the Centre for Research on Globalisation was one of the sponsors.
- With Fred Caloren and Paul Gingrich, Is the Canadian Economy Closing Down? (Montreal: Black Rose, 1978) ISBN 0-919618-80-4
- Towards Capitalist Restoration? Chinese Socialism After Mao (New York: St Martin's, 1986 and London: Macmillan, 1986) ISBN 0-333-38441-5
- The Globalization of Poverty: Impacts of IMF and World Bank Reforms, (Penang: Third World Network, 1997) and (London: Zed, 1997) ISBN 81-85569-34-7 and ISBN 1-85649-402-0
- Exporting Apartheid to Sub-Saharan Africa (New Delhi: Madhyam, 1997) ISBN 81-86816-06-2
- 'Washington's New World Order Weapons Can Trigger Climate Change', (November 26, 2000)
- War and Globalization: The Truth Behind September 11 (Global Outlook and the Centre for Research on Globalization, 2002)
- in French as: Guerres et Mondialisation: A Qui Profite Le 11 Septembre? (Serpent a Plume, 2002) ISBN 2-84261-387-2
- The Globalization of Poverty and the New World Order (Oro, Ontario: Global Outlook, 2003) ISBN 0-9731109-1-0 – Excerpt.
- America's "War on Terrorism" (Pincourt, Quebec: Global Research, 2005) ISBN 0-9737147-1-9
- (with Andrew Gavin Marshall, eds) The Global Economic Crisis: The Great Depression of the XXI Century (Global Research Publishers, 2010)
- Towards a World War III Scenario. The Dangers of Nuclear War (2012)
- Michel Chossudovsky – Department of Economics. Socialsciences.uottawa.ca. Retrieved on 2012-01-08.
- Scott A. Bessenecker (October 31, 2006). The New Friars: The Emerging Movement Serving the World's Poor. IVP Books. p. 156.
- Irish Times, 28 January 2006, Evgeny Chossudovsky: Writer with a distinguished UN career; also at highbeam.com
- Juliet ONeill, Ottawa Citizen, 5 January 1998, Battling Mainstream Economics
- "Globalization Links: Anti-Establishmentarians on the Web". The University of Iowa Center for International Finance and Development. June 2002. Archived from the original on 5 February 2009. Retrieved 19 May 2011.
- "Weight of Chains – Sponsors". Malagurski Cinema. Archived from the original on November 5, 2012.
- Scott Loughrey, Baltimore Chronicle, 9 November 2002, MEDIA BOOK REVIEW: War and Globalization by Michel Chossudovsky
- Stephen Lendman, Atlantic Free Press, 19 June 2007, Michel Chossudovsky's - America's War on Terrorism - Book Review
- Sherwood Ross, Scoop, 26 April 2012, Review of Michel Chossudovsky's book on nuclear war
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Michel Chossudovsky|