Joseph-Michel François was a colonel in the Haitian army. As Haiti Chief of National Police he participated in the 1991 Haitian coup d'état, which overthrew Haiti's elected president, Jean-Bertrand Aristide. The Haitian Presidential candidate Michel "Sweet Mickey" Martelly is known to have associated with François. 
Chief of National Police (1991-94)
He helped topple Haiti's elected president, Jean-Bertrand Aristide. He then terrorized his country as chief of the police and secret police under dictator General Raoul Cédras; some 4,000 Haitians were killed. François fled the country in 1994 to the Dominican Republic. Though convicted in Haiti of assassinating an Aristide supporter, he was never extradited. When the Dominican Republic deported him for plotting another coup d'etat in Haiti, François landed in San Pedro Sula, Honduras.
A convicted drug dealer told the US Senate Foreign Relations Committee that he met François in Colombia, and that François told him he was arranging a cocaine deal. United States prosecutors indicted François in March, 1997 and charged him with smuggling 33 tons of cocaine and heroin into the U.S. from his private airstrip in Haiti, while taking millions in bribes from Colombian drug lords. François denied the charges and stayed in a Honduran prison until July, 1997, when the Honduran Supreme Court turned down U.S. extradition efforts for lack of evidence and subsequently released François.
- Sometimes given as Michel-Joseph François
- Whitney, Kathleen Marie (1996), "Sin, Fraph, and the CIA: U.S. Covert Action in Haiti", Southwestern Journal of Law and Trade in the Americas, Vol. 3, Issue 2 (1996), pp. 303-332. p321
- Wadner, Pierre (2010). "Michel Martelly, Stealth Duvalierist" The Dominion. Dec 16, 2010. Retrieved Jan 24, 2011.
- Irwin P. Stotzky. Silencing the Guns in Haiti: The Promise of Deliberative Democracy., Chicago, IL: The University of Chicago Press, 1997. p. 175
- "More from the Exile Files' - The life of ex-despots isn't all jail and frozen assets". from the Haiti Support Group