Vorm in 2007
|Full name||Michel Armand Vorm|
|Date of birth||20 October 1983|
|Place of birth||IJsselstein, Netherlands|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|2005–2006||→ Den Bosch (loan)||35||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 3 May 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Michel Armand Vorm (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈmiʃɛl ˈvɔrm]; born 20 October 1983) is a Dutch football goalkeeper, currently playing for Swansea City. He is renowned for his remarkable penalty saving abilities, earning him the nickname 'penalty killer'.
Vorm began his career at FC Utrecht. In order to gain more experience, he spent the 2005-06 season on loan to FC Den Bosch. He made his debut on 12 August 2005 against FC Emmen, the first of 35 appearances that season.
In August 2006, Vorm made his debut for Utrecht against Willem II. Although he joined FC Utrecht as the third-choice goalkeeper, behind Franck Grandel and Joost Terol, his pre-season performances impressed manager Foeke Booy, and saw him promoted to first choice 'keeper at the start of the league season. During this first season Vorm played 33 out of 34 games, and his position as number one at the club remained unchallenged thereafter. Vorm missed a handful matches during the 2007–08 season due to knee and shoulder injuries. He left Utrecht at the start of the 2011–12 season, having played 136 games in the Eredivisie.
In August 2011, Vorm joined Swansea City for a fee of around £1.5 million. He took the vacant number 1 shirt and made his debut for the club against Manchester City on 15 August 2011 in a 4–0 defeat. Although he conceded four goals, he also made eleven saves – more than any other Premier League goalkeeper, in a single game, in the whole of the 2011–12 season. In his second match for Swansea against Wigan Athletic, on 20 August, Vorm saved a 72nd-minute penalty from Ben Watson, to give Swansea their first ever point in the Premier League. On 6 November 2011, Vorm arguably saved Swansea from defeat against Liverpool and earned them the draw at Anfield by pulling off two outstanding saves to earn the clean sheet. On 10 December, he was instrumental in Swansea's 2–0 win over Fulham as he saved Clint Dempsey's 87th-minute penalty, with Swansea 1–0 up.
During his first season with Swansea he helped keep 13 clean sheets in 37 league appearances. His performances were so impressive that he won three awards at the club’s end-of-season dinner – Supporters’ Player of the Year, Players’ Player and the Away Player awards.
On 27 September 2012, Vorm signed a new four-year contract with Swansea. On 28 October 2012, he was ruled out for up to eight weeks due to a groin injury picked up in a game against Manchester City. On 3 November 2013, in the South Wales derby against Cardiff City, Vorm was shown a straight red card by referee Mike Dean for a stoppage-time foul on Fraizer Campbell. The game ended 1-0 to Cardiff City.
Vorm played his first match for the senior national team on 14 November 2008, replacing Henk Timmer at half time in a 3–1 home friendly win, conceding to Kim Källström within four minutes of coming on. He made his first start on 5 September 2009 in a friendly home match against Japan (3–0 win), followed up four days later by an impressive performance at Hampden Park during the World Cup qualifier Scotland – Netherlands, a match won 1–0 by the Netherlands. The match at Hampden Park was Vorm's first competitive game ever outside the Netherlands.
2010 World Cup
Vorm was included in the preliminary squad for the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa. On 27 May 2010, Netherlands manager Bert van Marwijk announced that the player would be part of the final squad of 23 participating in the FIFA World Cup. Before the start of the competition he was allowed to fly back to the Netherlands. During the World Cup, Vorm's girlfriend Daisy delivered a son, Jaivy Waylon. The Dutch goalkeeper returned home for two days following his son's birth.
2014 World Cup
For the 2014 FIFA World Cup, coach Louis van Gaal included Vorm in the Netherlands squad, alongside young Ajax goalkeeper Jasper Cillessen who was first choice in goal and Tim Krul. Despite his penalty-saving ability, Van Gaal opted to replace Cillessen with Krul in the penalty shootout during the quarter-final match against Costa Rica. Vorm came on for Cillesen in injury time of the 3–0 third place play-off win against Brazil in Brasília, thus ensuring that all 23 Dutch squad members played at the tournament.
- Swansea City
- As of 3 May 2014
|Club performance||League||Cup||League Cup||Continental||Total|
|Netherlands||League||KNVB Cup||League Cup||Europe||Total|
|2005–06||FC Den Bosch (loan)||Eerste Divisie||35||0||-||-||-||35||0|
|England||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Europe||Total|
|2011–12||Swansea City||Premier League||37||0||—||—||—||37||0|
|Dutch national team|
- Statistics accurate as of matches played on 12 July 2014.
- "2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil: List of Players" (PDF). FIFA. 11 June 2014. p. 25. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- "Swansea agree fee for Dutch international goalkeeper Michel Vorm". Guardian (London). 7 August 2011. Retrieved 23 August 2011.
- "Swansea 0–0 Wigan". BBC News. 20 August 2011.
- "Swansea 2–0 Fulham". BBC Sport. 10 December 2011. Retrieved 10 December 2011.
- "Vorm's triple trophy swoop". Swansea City A.F.C. 10 May 2012.
- "Goalkeeper Michel Vorm signs new Swansea City contract". BBC Sport. 27 September 2012.
- "Swansea City suffer goalkeeper Michel Vorm injury blow". BBC Sport. 28 October 2012.
- McNulty, Phil (3 November 2013). "Cardiff 1-0 Swansea". BBC Sport. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
-  – Holland end luckless Scotland's World Cup hopes – 9 September 2009
-  – BBC Sports Scotland 0–1 Netherlands – 9 September 2009
-  – Novice Dutch goalkeeper offers Scots glimmer of hope – 8 September 2009
- "Van Marwijk trims Dutch squad to 27". AFP. 15 May 2010. Retrieved 18 May 2010.
- "Holland coach Bert van Marwijk finalises World Cup squad". London: The Guardian. Press Association. 27 May 2010. Retrieved 27 May 2010.
- "Zoontje voor doelman Vorm: Jaivy Waylon" (in Dutch). AD.nl. 14 June 2010. Retrieved 7 July 2010.
- "Op babybezoek bij Oranje-keeper Michel Vorm" (in Dutch). RTL.nl. 16 June 2010. Retrieved 7 July 2010.
- "Brazil 0-3 Netherlands". BBC. 12 July 2014. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- "Michel Vorm". European Football. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Michel Vorm.|