Vorm in 2007
|Full name||Michel Vorm|
|Date of birth||20 October 1983|
|Place of birth||IJsselstein, Netherlands|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Current club||Swansea City|
|2005–2006||→ Den Bosch (loan)||35||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 15 December 2013.
† Appearances (Goals).
Michel Vorm (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈmiʃɛl ˈvɔrm]; born 20 October 1983) is a Dutch football goalkeeper, currently playing for Swansea City. He is renowned for his remarkable penalty saving abilities, earning him the nickname 'penalty killer'. Vorm was born in IJsselstein, Netherlands.
FC Den Bosch
In August 2006, Vorm made his debut for FC Utrecht against Willem II. Although he joined FC Utrecht as the third-choice goalkeeper, behind Franck Grandel and Joost Terol, his pre-season performances impressed manager Foeke Booy, and saw him promoted to first choice 'keeper at the start of the league season. During this first season Vorm played 33 out of 34 games, and his position as number one at the club remained unchallenged thereafter. Vorm missed a handful matches during the 2007–08 season due to knee and shoulder injuries. He left Utrecht at the start of the 2011–12 season, having played 136 games in the Eredivisie.
In August 2011, Vorm joined Swansea City for a fee of around £1.5 million. He took the vacant number 1 shirt and made his debut for the club against Manchester City on 15 August 2011 in a 4–0 defeat. Although he conceded four goals, he also made eleven saves – more than any other Premier League goalkeeper, in a single game, in the whole of the 2011–12 season. In his second match for Swansea against Wigan Athletic, on 20 August, Vorm saved a 72nd minute penalty from Wigan's Ben Watson, to give Swansea their first ever point in the Premier League. On 6 November 2011, Vorm arguably saved Swansea from defeat against Liverpool and earned them the draw at Anfield by pulling off two outstanding saves to earn the clean sheet. On 10 December, Vorm was instrumental in Swansea's 2–0 win over Fulham as he again saved a penalty, with Swansea 1–0 up, in the 87th minute from Fulham's Clint Dempsey.
During his first season with Swansea he helped keep 13 clean sheets in 37 league appearances. His performances were so impressive that he won three awards at the club’s end-of-season dinner – Supporters’ Player of the Year, Players’ Player and the Away Player awards.
On 27 September 2012, Vorm signed a new four-year contract with Swansea. On 28 October 2012, Vorm was ruled out for up to eight weeks due to a groin injury picked up in a game against Manchester City. On 3 November 2013, in the game against Cardiff City, Vorm was shown a straight red card for a stoppage time foul on Fraizer Campbell. The game ended 1-0 to Cardiff City.
As of 2008, Vorm is a member of the Dutch National Team. He made his debut in the starting lineup on 5 September 2009 in a friendly home match against Japan (3–0 win), followed up four days later by an impressive performance at Hampden Park during the World Cup qualifier Scotland – Netherlands, a match won by the Netherlands with 0–1. The match at Hampden Park was Vorm's first competitive game ever outside the Netherlands.
2010 World Cup
Vorm was included in the preliminary squad for the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa. On 27 May 2010, Netherlands manager Bert van Marwijk announced that the player would be part of the final squad of 23 participating in the FIFA World Cup. Before the start of the competition he was allowed to fly back to the Netherlands. During the World Cup, Vorm's girlfriend Daisy delivered a son, Jaivy Waylon. The Dutch goalkeeper returned home for two days following his son's birth.
- Swansea City
- As of 1 August 2013
|Club performance||League||Cup||League Cup||Continental||Total|
|Netherlands||League||KNVB Cup||League Cup||Europe||Total|
|2005–06||FC Den Bosch (loan)||Eerste Divisie||35||0||-||-||-||35||0|
|England||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Europe||Total|
|2011–12||Swansea City||Premier League||37||0||—||—||—||37||0|
|Dutch national team|
- Statistics accurate as of matches played on 14 August 2013.
- "FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 – List of Players" (PDF). Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA). Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- "Swansea agree fee for Dutch international goalkeeper Michel Vorm". Guardian (London). 7 August 2011. Retrieved 23 August 2011.
- "Swansea 0–0 Wigan". BBC News. 20 August 2011.
- "Swansea 2–0 Fulham". BBC Sport. 10 December 2011. Retrieved 10 December 2011.
- "Goalkeeper Michel Vorm signs new Swansea City contract". BBC Sport. 27 September 2012.
- "Swansea City suffer goalkeeper Michel Vorm injury blow". BBC Sport. 28 October 2012.
-  – Holland end luckless Scotland's World Cup hopes – 9 September 2009
-  – BBC Sports Scotland 0–1 Netherlands – 9 September 2009
-  – Novice Dutch goalkeeper offers Scots glimmer of hope – 8 September 2009
- "Van Marwijk trims Dutch squad to 27". AFP. 15 May 2010. Retrieved 18 May 2010.
- "Holland coach Bert van Marwijk finalises World Cup squad". London: The Guardian. Press Association. 27 May 2010. Retrieved 27 May 2010.
- "Zoontje voor doelman Vorm: Jaivy Waylon" (in Dutch). AD.nl. 14 June 2010. Retrieved 7 July 2010.
- "Op babybezoek bij Oranje-keeper Michel Vorm" (in Dutch). RTL.nl. 16 June 2010. Retrieved 7 July 2010.
- "Michel Vorm Voetbal International profile". Voetbal International.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Michel Vorm.|