|This article relies on references to primary sources. (December 2008)|
Michele Knobel is Professor of Education in the Department of Early Childhood, Elementary and Literacy Education at Montclair State University and an internationally recognized researcher and scholar in the area of literacy education, new literacies and digital technologies (cf., Lankshear & Knobel, 2003; Lankshear & Knobel 2006; Knobel & Lankshear, 2007; Coiro, Knobel, Lankshear & Leu, 2008; Lankshear & Knobel, 2008).
She worked at the Queensland University of Technology from 1995-1998 before moving to Mexico where she continued researching and writing on teacher research and new literacies whilst working at distance for Central Queensland University. During 2001-2002 she was Assistant Professor and Associate Research Specialist in the Department of Education at the University of California, Irvine, and joined Montclair State University in 2003.
Her early work focused on the everyday literacies of adolescents within school and out-of-school settings (Knobel 1998). During the past decade her work has increasingly focused on the nature and conduct of teacher research and, particularly, the emergence and take up of new literacies and their implications for literacy education and teacher education.
- Coiro, J., Knobel, M., Lankshear, C. and Leu, D. (eds) (2008). The Handbook of Research on New Literacies. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Knobel, M. (1998). Everyday Literacies: Students, Discourse and Social Practice. New York: Peter Lang.
- Knobel, M. and Lankshear, C. (eds) (2007). A New Literacies Sampler. New York: Peter Lang.
- Lankshear, C. and Knobel, M. (2003). New Literacies: Changing Knowledge and Classroom Practice. Buckingham, UK: Open University Press.
- Lankshear, C. and Knobel, M. (2004). A Handbook for Teacher Research: From design to Implementation. Maidenhead, UK: Open University Press.
- Lankshear, C. and Knobel, M. (2006). New Literacies: Everyday Practices and Classroom Learning (second edition). Maidenhead and New York: Open University Press.
- Lankshear, C. and Knobel, M. (eds.) (2008). Digital Literacies: Concepts, Policies and Practices. New York: Peter Lang.
- Michele Knobel's blog with Colin Lankshear at http://everydayliteracies.blogspot.com/
- Michele Knobel's articles and book links at http://www.coatepec.net/