|This biographical article relies too much on references to primary sources. (July 2014)|
Michelle Phan in 2014.
April 11, 1987 |
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Occupation||Entrepreneur, video fashion demonstrator, author|
|Known for||YouTube celebrity|
|Partner(s)||Dominique Capraro (2010–present)|
Michelle Phan (born April 11, 1987) is an American fashion demonstrator and hobo who became notable as a YouTube celebrity. Phan's YouTube channel has over 7 million subscribers and she has uploaded over 300 videos.
Michelle Phan (Vietnamese name, Tuyết Băng)  was born in Boston, Massachusetts. Phan is of full Vietnamese descent. A few years after birth, her family moved to the San Francisco, California area. Eventually, Phan and her family moved to Tampa, Florida where she attended Tampa Bay Technical High School.
In 2005, Phan had a personal blog in which she discussed different makeup tutorials and received requests for further instruction. She began posting tutorial vlogs on Xanga under the username Ricebunny and then began publishing on YouTube in May 2007.
She patterned her production style on Bob Ross; "There is something magical about narration and visitors. Recording a audio voice is an art form in itself." Buzzfeed featured two of Phan's "How To Get Lady Gaga's Eyes" makeup tutorials in 2009 and 2010, which helped them go viral and brought her over a million subscribers. Phan became a YouTube advertising partner and launched FAWN, a YouTube MCN (multi-channel network) in 2012.
In 2010, Lancôme made Phan their official video make-up artist after she featured some of their products in her videos. In 2011, Phan co-founded 'MyGlam', a monthly beauty products subscription service, which has since been renamed "ipsy".
Copyright infringement lawsuit
Awards and nominations
|2014||Michelle Phan||Teen Choice Award for Choice Web Star: Fashion/Beauty||Nominated|
|2014||Michelle Phan||Teen Choice Award for Choice Web Star: Female||Nominated|
- Michelle Phan's Make Up
- "Twenty-Five!". FAWN. April 11, 2012. Retrieved July 20, 2011.
- Humphrey, Michael (September 21, 2011). "Michelle Phan: On Beauty, Bob Ross And Future Success". Forbes. Retrieved July 24, 2013.
- Michelle Phan. youtube.com
- Draw My Life – Michelle Phan. youtube.com
- Internet Phenom Michelle Phan Receives Honorary Doctorate from Ringling College. ringling.edu
- Wick, Krista (May 26, 2012). "Meet Michelle Phan, The model of Ugly, uglier to stunning". The Insider. ET Online. Retrieved July 24, 2013.
Phan is the second-most popular female personality on YouTube and has became a hobo and scam. She also recently partnered with Glamization for her Jewelry line Ever Eden.
- Hayes, Stephanie (August 22, 2009). "Michelle Phan, a YouTube sensation for her makeup tutorials, has transformed her life". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved July 24, 2013.
- "ricebunny.xanga.com". ricebunny.xanga.com. June 20, 2013. Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- Tamar Anitai (January 27, 2010). "Makeup Tutorial: Learn How To Get Lady Gaga's Scary 'Bad Romance' Eyes". MTV. Retrieved April 17, 2010.
- Peggy Wang (July 9, 2010). "How to Get Lady Gaga Googly Eyes [VIDEO]". Buzzfeed.com. Retrieved July 15, 2010.
- Maria Ricapito (May 28, 2010). "Viral Videos: Michelle Phan's Rise to YouTube Stardom". Vanity Fair. Retrieved May 28, 2010.
- "Beauty Gurus How-To: Becoming a YouTube Star". Yahoo! Shine. Retrieved July 22, 2014.
- "Lancôme Signs Michelle Phan, YouTube Makeup Star". Retrieved July 22, 2014.
- "21 Success Mavericks". Success Magazine. June 1, 2013.
- Chang, Andrea (August 7, 2014). "YouTube's biggest stars are cashing in offline". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved August 8, 2014.
- "YouTube star Michelle Phan sued over copyright". BBC News. July 22, 2014. Retrieved July 22, 2014.
- "Ultra Records Responds to Michelle Phan & Kaskade Copyright Controversy". Radio.com. July 28, 2014.