|This biographical article relies too much on references to primary sources. (July 2014)|
Michelle Phan in 2014.
|Born||Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.|
|Occupation||Entrepreneur, video make-up demonstrator, author|
|Known for||YouTube celebrity|
Michelle Phan is an American make-up demonstrator and entrepreneur who became notable as a YouTube celebrity. Phan's YouTube channel has over 7 million subscribers, one billion lifetime views, and she has uploaded over 300 videos.
Michelle Phan (Vietnamese name, Tuyết Băng)  was born in Boston, Massachusetts. Phan is of full Vietnamese descent. A few years after birth, her family moved to the San Francisco, California area. Eventually, Phan and her family moved to Tampa, Florida where she attended Tampa Bay Technical High School.
In 2005, Phan had a personal blog in which she discussed different makeup tutorials and received requests for further instruction. She began posting tutorial vlogs on Xanga under the username Ricebunny and then began publishing on YouTube in May 2007.
She patterned her production style on Bob Ross; "There is something magical about narration and voiceovers. Recording a voiceover is an art form in itself." Buzzfeed featured two of Phan's "How To Get Lady Gaga's Eyes" makeup tutorials in 2009 and 2010, which helped them go viral and brought her over a million subscribers. Phan became a YouTube advertising partner and launched FAWN, a YouTube MCN (multi-channel network) in 2012.
In 2010, Lancôme made Phan their official video make-up artist after she featured some of their products in her videos. In 2011, Phan co-founded 'MyGlam', a monthly beauty products subscription service, which has since been renamed "ipsy". Ipsy is a destination for beauty devotees to network, try new products, and watch and upload beauty tutorials.
In May 2014, Phan announced her partnership with Endemol Beyond USA to build a talent network that will feature people from YouTube and create content for millennials.
In September 2014, Phan partnered with Cutting Edge Group (CEG) to launch Shift Music Group. Phan also launched a book with Random House in October 2014, called “Make Up: Your Life Guide to Beauty, Style, and Success -- Online and Off."
Copyright infringement lawsuit
In July 2014 it was announced that Phan was being sued by Ultra Records over alleged copyright infringement relating to the music used in her YouTube videos. Ultra plans to seek up to $150,000 in damages per infringement, according to the lawsuit, which currently names 45 instances of infringement. Phan filed a counter-suit against Ultra Records on September 18, 2014 in United States District Court for the Central District of California.
Awards and nominations
|2014||Michelle Phan||Teen Choice Award for Choice Web Star: Fashion/Beauty||Nominated|
|Michelle Phan||Teen Choice Award for Choice Web Star: Female||Nominated|
- Michelle Phan's Make Up
- Humphrey, Michael (September 21, 2011). "Michelle Phan: On Beauty, Bob Ross And Future Success". Forbes. Retrieved July 24, 2013.
- Brouwer, Bree (September 5, 2014). "Michelle Phan Reaches A Milestone With Over 1 Billion Channel Views".
- Michelle Phan. youtube.com
- Draw My Life – Michelle Phan. youtube.com
- Internet Phenom Michelle Phan Receives Honorary Doctorate from Ringling College. ringling.edu
- Wick, Krista (May 26, 2012). "Meet Michelle Phan, Accidental Millionaire". The Insider. ET Online. Retrieved July 24, 2013.
Phan is the second-most popular female personality on YouTube and has became spokeswoman for Lancome thanks to the success of her online videos. She also recently partnered with Glamhouse for her Jewelry line Ever Eden.
- Hayes, Stephanie (August 22, 2009). "Michelle Phan, a YouTube sensation for her makeup tutorials, has transformed her life". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved July 24, 2013.
- "ricebunny.xanga.com". ricebunny.xanga.com. June 20, 2013. Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- Tamar Anitai (January 27, 2010). "Makeup Tutorial: Learn How To Get Lady Gaga's Scary 'Bad Romance' Eyes". MTV. Retrieved April 17, 2010.
- Peggy Wang (July 9, 2010). "How to Get Lady Gaga Googly Eyes [VIDEO]". Buzzfeed.com. Retrieved July 15, 2010.
- Maria Ricapito (May 28, 2010). "Viral Videos: Michelle Phan's Rise to YouTube Stardom". Vanity Fair. Retrieved May 28, 2010.
- "Beauty Gurus How-To: Becoming a YouTube Star". Yahoo! Shine. Retrieved July 22, 2014.
- "Lancôme Signs Michelle Phan, YouTube Makeup Star". Retrieved July 22, 2014.
- "21 Success Mavericks". Success Magazine. June 1, 2013.
- "About Ipsy". Ipsy.com.
- "Endemol Beyond USA Aligns Forces in Exclusive Deal with Acclaimed Digital Pioneer Michelle Phan and Her Multi-Channel Network, FAWN, to Build a Premium Lifestyle Network for Women". Retrieved May 2, 2014.
- Spangler, Todd (September 26, 2014). "YouTube’s Michelle Phan Launches Music Label".
- "Make Up by Michelle Phan". Retrieved October 21, 2014.
- "The NMR Top 100 YouTube Channels: 50-26!". New Media Rockstars. Retrieved 6 January 2015.
- "Ultra International Music Publishing, LLC et al v. Michelle Phan". Docket Alarm. July 16, 2014. Retrieved Dec 22, 2014.
- "YouTube star Michelle Phan sued over copyright". BBC News. July 22, 2014. Retrieved July 22, 2014.
- "Ultra Records Responds to Michelle Phan & Kaskade Copyright Controversy". Radio.com. July 28, 2014.