21 April 1971 |
Gomez was born in Glasgow. Her father, originally from Montserrat, was a photographer, while her mother ran a modelling agency. From the moment she saw a production of Kiss Me, Kate at the age of seven, Gomez wanted to be an actress, which her parents encouraged. She attended Shawlands Academy from 1978 to 1983 and trained at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama.
Gomez's first major role was in The Acid House, based on three Irvine Welsh short stories. She went on to star in the cult Channel 4 comedy drama The Book Group before landing her role as staff liaison officer Sue White in the comedy Green Wing, also on Channel 4. She played Michelle in Carrie and Barry, and starred as PC Sally Bobbins in the BBC 2 sitcom Feel the Force. She appeared in Gunslinger's Revenge.
In 2005, Gomez appeared in the film Chromophobia. In 2006, she starred in the film The Good Housekeeping Guide. In 2007 she starred in a drama by Irvine Welsh and Dean Cavanagh called Wedding Belles, and starred in Boeing-Boeing at the Comedy Theatre in London. Also in 2007, she guest-starred in the Doctor Who audio play Valhalla. In 2008 she joined the Royal Shakespeare Company, and performed as Kate in The Taming of the Shrew at the Courtyard Theatre and the Novello Theatre.
In 2012, Gomez starred in the British film, The Wedding Video, portraying the psychologically unstable wedding planner. In the same year, she appeared in the British comedy series Bad Education, portraying the deputy-head Isobel Pickwell, which returned for a second series in 2013. In 2014, she began producing comedy sketches as "Heather" an agony aunt for YouTube channel Wildseed Studios.
- Leask, Anjie (19 April 2002). "When I said the C word on stage I felt like a rock star". The Mirror (London, England) (MGN LTD). Retrieved 17 January 2009.
- Fulton, Rick (3 September 2004). "Our Secret Star: Book Group Michelle is going to be huge thanks to TWO shows". Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland). Retrieved 17 January 2009.
- English, Paul (4 June 2005). "Green and bear it". Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland) (Scottish Daily Record & Sunday). Retrieved 17 January 2009.
- Allan, Vicky (19 March 2006). "Ready, steady, Gomez. A fine comedic actress, she scored a direct hit". Sunday Herald, The. Retrieved 17 January 2009.
- Rampton, James (5 May 2006). "Michelle Gomez is a force to be reckoned with". The Scotsman. Retrieved 17 January 2009.
- Cadwalladr, Carole (25 March 2007). "Funny girl". The Observer (Guardian News and Media Limited). Retrieved 17 January 2009.
- Fisher, Mark (20 April 2008). "Curtain call for a shrew operator - Michelle Gomez interview". The Scotsman. Retrieved 17 January 2009.
- Brown, Helen (30 May 2008). "Michelle Gomez: 'I'm shameless, Desperate!'". Daily Telegraph (Telegraph Media Group Limited). Retrieved 17 January 2009.
- Bearn, Emily (12 January 2009). "Funny Face: Michelle Gomez". Evening Standard Magazine (Associated Newspapers). Retrieved 17 January 2009.
- "Michelle Gomez". biogs.com. Danny Rosenbaum. Retrieved 17 January 2009.
- "Michelle Gomez". TVSA. Retrieved 15 August 2009.
- Burnside, Anna (29 August 2004). "The new face of Friday night". The Sunday Times (News International Limited). Retrieved 14 July 2009.
- "Scottish Woman of the Year Awards". Scottish Woman. 2009. Retrieved 15 August 2009.[dead link]
- "Bad Education, Series 1 - Miss Pickwell". BBC Three. 2014. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- "Wildseed Studios presents: Funny Seeds". YouTube. 2014. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- Jones, Paul (30 June 2014). "Doctor Who cast: Green Wing and Bad Education Michelle Gomez joins Peter Capaldi as Gatekeeper of the Nethersphere". Radio Times. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- Wright, Matthew (6 May 2000). "Miles up the aisle; This Life Jack to tie knot". The Mirror (London, England) (MGN LTD). Retrieved 17 January 2009.
- "Jack Davenport: Interview Radio Times". Jack Davenport - Unofficial Website. 12 April 2010. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- Corley, Jerry (28 January 2011). How Can I Be A Comedian: Michelle Gomez at The Comedy Store. YouTube. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Michelle Gomez|