Although she worked in hotel kitchens during college in San Diego, she got her start in San Francisco restaurants at Moose's as a pantry cook. She completed her externship from CCA at the Turtle Bay Resort on the Caribbean island of St. John's, gaining cooking experience, returning to San Francisco to cook at Jianna and then with Paul Arenstam at the now-closed Belon and at Grand Cafe.
In 2005 Michelle stepped in to captain Kimpton's Ponzu restaurant and was named one of San Francisco Chronicle's "Rising Star Chefs" of 2006 along with Corey Lee of French Laundry and Mike Yakura of Le Colonial.
Currently Mah is planning her first foray into California brasserie faire with Joie De Vivre Hospitality's midi. The restaurant, located in the Galleria Park Hotel will feature what Mah describes as "Hearty New World interpretations of Old World Classics," as well as, "seasonal creations."
- "Rising Star Chef" (2006) by the San Francisco Chronicle
- Michelle Mah About.com
- Rising Star Chef, 2006: San Francisco Chronicle
- Inside Scoop: San Francisco Chronicle
- Mah on MSNBC.com
- Where Are They Now? San Francisco Chronicle
- bnet Interview with Mah
- What's New: San Francisco Chronicle
- What's New: San Francisco Conventions & Visitors Bureau