|Born||Michelle Lynn Monaghan
March 23, 1976
Winthrop, Iowa, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Peter White (m. 2005)|
Michelle Lynn Monaghan (born March 23, 1976) is an American actress known for her roles in Mission: Impossible III, Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Gone Baby Gone, Made of Honor, The Heartbreak Kid, Eagle Eye, Source Code, and True Detective.
Monaghan was born in Winthrop, Iowa to a German American mother, Sharon (née Hammel), who ran a day care center in the family's home, and an Irish-American father, Robert Monaghan, a factory worker and part-time farmer. She has two older brothers, Bob and John, and her family brought up twelve foster children over a period of twelve years. Monaghan was raised Catholic.
She graduated from East Buchanan High School in 1994, where she was class president and acted in several plays. After graduation, she moved to Chicago to study journalism at Columbia College Chicago and began to model. She modeled in Milan, Singapore, Tokyo and Hong Kong, as well as in the United States. With one semester remaining to complete her journalism degree in 1999, she left for New York to pursue an acting career, where she appeared as a model in several magazines and catalogs before making her acting debut.
Monaghan's first notable appearances, though minor roles, were in episodes of Young Americans (in which she appeared twice), and Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, came in 2001. She made her big screen debut that year in the small role of "Henrietta" in the movie Perfume. This was followed by another small role in Unfaithful in 2002.
Monaghan got a big break role in 2002 when she co-starred in the television series Boston Public playing the role of Kimberly Woods. After guest-starring for a season, she returned to the silver screen, appeared in It Runs in the Family in 2003, Winter Solstice in 2004, and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang in 2005. Her scenes in Constantine and Syriana do not appear in the final films. However, her audition tape from Constantine earned her an audition for Mission Impossible III, which led to her role playing Julia opposite Tom Cruise.
In 2007, she starred in The Heartbreak Kid, opposite Ben Stiller, as Miranda. She also starred in Gone Baby Gone receiving excellent notices for her performance as the female protagonist, Angie Gennaro, opposite Casey Affleck. In 2008, she appeared as "Hannah" alongside Patrick Dempsey in Made of Honor, and co-starred in Eagle Eye with Shia LaBeouf. She also starred in the movie Trucker as Diane Ford.
Monaghan met Australian graphic artist Peter White at a party in 2000. They married in Sydney five years later in August 2005 and live in New York. She gave birth to a daughter named Willow Katherine White in 2008 and a son, Tommy Francis White, on October 30, 2013.
In October 2011, Monaghan revealed that she had skin cancer. Her husband spotted a new mole on the back of her calf which turned out to be cancerous when she had it examined. She is in remission and has had no recurrence of the cancer since her surgery.
|2000||Young Americans||Caroline Busse||Episode: "Cinderbella"
Episode: "Free Will"
|2001||Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Dana Kimble||Episode: "Consent"|
|2002||Hack||Stacy Kumble||Episode: "Favors"|
|2002–2003||Boston Public||Kimberly Woods||8 episodes (recurring character)|
|2003||It Runs in the Family||Peg Maloney|
|2004||Bourne Supremacy, TheThe Bourne Supremacy||Kim|
|2005||Mr. & Mrs. Smith||Gwen|
|2005||Kiss Kiss Bang Bang||Harmony Faith Lane||Nominated—Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actress
Nominated—Satellite Award for Best Supporting Actress: Musical or Comedy
|2006||Mission: Impossible III||Julia Meade|
|2007||Gone Baby Gone||Angie Gennaro||Nominated—Broadcast Film Critics Association Award for Best Acting Ensemble|
|2007||Heartbreak Kid, TheThe Heartbreak Kid||Miranda|
|2008||Trucker||Diane Ford||San Diego Film Critics Society Award for Best Actress|
|2008||Made of Honor||Hannah|
|2008||Eagle Eye||Rachel Holloman|
|2010||Due Date||Sarah Highman|
|2011||Source Code||Christina Warren|
|2011||Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol||Julia Hunt||Uncredited|
|2011||Machine Gun Preacher||Lynn Childers|
|2012||Tomorrow You're Gone||Florence Jane|
|2014||Fort Bliss||Maggie Swann|
|2014||True Detective||Maggie Hart||Television series (season 1 regular)|
|2014||Better Living Through Chemistry||Kara Varney|
|2014||A Many Splintered Thing||Her|
|2014||Justice League: War||Diana Prince/Wonder Woman||Voice|
|2014||The Best of Me||Amanda Collier||October 17 release|
- "Michelle Monaghan Interview". Madeinatlantis.com. 2006. Retrieved November 12, 2013.
- Haugen, Dan (November 10, 2005). "Small-town girl Michelle Monaghan hitting it big in Hollywood". Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier. Retrieved November 13, 2010.
- "Michelle Monaghan biography at". Movies.yahoo.com. Retrieved October 28, 2008.
- Paton, Maureen (April 19, 2008). "Michelle Monaghan: The new romcom queen". Mail Online (Daily Mail). Retrieved November 14, 2010.
- O' Doherty, Cahir. "Michelle Monaghan practices and preaches in ‘Machine Gun Preacher’". IrishCentral.
- Scheller, Christine (September 19, 2011). "‘Machine Gun Preacher’ Poses Tough Questions". Urban Faith. Retrieved June 12, 2013.
- "michelle monaghan begins modeling". askmen.com. Retrieved November 13, 2013.
- Freydkin, Donna (2008-04-28). "Michelle Monaghan was 'Made' to be an actress". USA Today.
- Leonard, Elizabeth (June 2, 2008). "Michelle Monaghan Expecting First Child". People. Retrieved October 28, 2008.
- Michelle Monaghan talks about her fight with skin cancer, ContactMusic.com.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Michelle Monaghan.|
- Michelle Monaghan at the Internet Movie Database
- Michelle Monaghan interview at reviewgraveyard.com
- Profile of Michelle Monaghan