|Born||January 1972(age 41)|
|Political party||Fine Gael|
Michelle Mulherin (born January 1972) is an Irish Fine Gael politician. She was elected as a Teachta Dála (TD) for the Mayo constituency at the 2011 general election. She was elected to Ballina Town Council in 1999 and has also served as a Mayo County Councillor from 2004 until her election to Dáil Éireann in 2011. Mulherin unsuccessfully stood for election in the Mayo constituency at the 2007 general election.
In March 2011, Mulherin criticised the Libyan National Transitional Council during the 2011 Libyan civil war saying that it was an "internal matter" and that "oil was what made Libya 'special' and the external interference from countries such as the US is worrying”. Mulherin was not disciplined for her comments, which dissented against the official Fine Gael policy.
Several months later in June 2011 she was among a number of backbench Fine Gael TDs who criticised the level of payments being made to the unemployed. She called for National service to be introduced in order to tackle a "culture of entitlement". The proposal was criticised by a senior member of Fine Gael describing the proposal as not "out of place at a convention of the Tea Party movement in America".
In April 2012, she contributed to a Dáil Éireann debate on the subject of limited abortion. In her brief contribution, she cited the liberating grace of God and the "fallen nature" of all people and claimed that "fornication, I would say, is probably the single most likely cause of unwanted pregnancies in this country". This was criticised by TDs who favoured more access to abortion, including the independent Luke 'Ming' Flanagan and Clare Daly, the Socialist Party representative who had proposed the bill being debated. In a television interview a few days later, she clarified that by 'fornication' she had meant 'consensual sex between adults who are not married to each other'. 
In March 2013 Mulherin accused youth information site Spunout.ie of publishing inappropriate sex education content. Mulherin claimed that the information on the site was "incredibly regressive" and said that she would raise the issue of funding for the site with Health Minister James Reilly.
- "Ms. Michelle Mulherin". Oireachtas Members Database. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "Michelle Mulherin". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 23 March 2011.
- O'Halloran, Marie (25 March 2011). "FG TD says Libyan rebellion should not be supported". The Irish Times.
- De Bréadún, Deaglán (26 March 2011). "Mulherin will not be disciplined over Libya stance". The Irish Times.
- "'Deadbeat dads' under fire in new proposals". Irish Independent. 12 June 2011.
- "Fine Gael TD: Fornication the main cause of unwanted pregnancies". Newstalk. 19 April 2012.
- "Fornication the 'cause of unwanted pregnancies'". The Irish Times. 20 April 2012.
- "Michelle Mulherin - The Saturday Night Show Transcript". RTE. 22 April 2012.
- Mac Cormaic, Ruadhan (24 March 2013). "Youth website defends sex advice". The Irish Times. Retrieved March 25 2013.
|Fine Gael Teachta Dála for Mayo
|This article about a Fine Gael politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|