Michelle Paige Paterson
|Michelle Paige Paterson|
|Born||Michelle R. Paige
April 1, 1961
Fairfield, California, USA
|Known for||First Lady of New York state, USA|
Michelle R. Paige Paterson (born April 1, 1961 in Fairfield, California) was the First Lady of New York state. The wife of New York Governor David Paterson, she became the First Lady on March 17, 2008, when her husband was sworn in as Governor, following the resignation of Eliot Spitzer. Paige Paterson is the first African American First Lady in New York's history.
Michelle Paige Paterson spent her early years in the Crown Heights neighborhood of Brooklyn in New York City before moving to Staten Island, another New York City borough where she was raised by her mother, a Postal Service manager. She attended Syracuse University and earned a graduate degree in health-care management from Milano The New School for Management and Urban Policy. She has been married to David Paterson since November 21, 1992; he is her second husband. They have a son together (born February 1994) (Alex) and Paige Paterson has a daughter (Ashley) from her first marriage, who has been raised by Paterson.
Paige Paterson is director of the integrated-wellness program at the Health Insurance Plan of New York HMO, a program that assists individuals with chronic health problems to better manage their conditions by helping them to improve their life skills. She previously worked as a lobbyist for North General Hospital in Manhattan.
On March 18, 2008, Paige Paterson and her husband both admitted to having had affairs with other people. Making these admissions was a strategy she supported in order to start David Paterson's governorship with full disclosure and to avoid "stoking the rumor mill".
- California Births, 1905-1995
- Haberman, Maggie (2008-03-12). "1st Lady-in-Waiting has 'Health'y Ambition". New York Post. Retrieved 2008-06-16.
- Finn, Robin (2008-06-06). "No Bed of Roses for a Sudden First Lady". New York Times. Retrieved 2008-06-16.
- Bishop, Eric; Corasaniti, Nick; Mainland, Alexis; Rueb, Emily S.; Vega, Tanzina; Wheaton, Sarah (2008-03-15). "From Harlem to Albany". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-05-12.
- Herbert, Keith (2008-03-12). "Former lobbyist, first lady Paterson a health care booster". New York Times. Retrieved 2008-06-16.
- Haberman, Maggie. New York Post http://www.nypost.com/p/news/regional/item_AXzIqdOqjjC69osfq5hx1N
|url=missing title (help).
- Gonzalez, Juan (2008-03-18). "Gov. Paterson admits to sex with other woman for years". New York: Daily News. Retrieved 2008-06-16.
- Biography on New York state's website
- New York Daily News profile of and interview with Paige Paterson, 15 March 2008
Silda Wall Spitzer
|First Lady of New York
||Second Lady of New York
Kathleen M. Doyle