April 11, 1987 |
|Occupation||Youtube beauty instructor
Lancôme Video Makeup Artist, Entrepreneur
|Net worth||$3 million|
Michelle Phan (born April 11, 1987) is a Vietnamese-American make-up instructor and product demonstrator who posts make-up, beauty, and fashion tutorials on YouTube, sometimes under the online alias ricebunny. Phan attended and dropped out of Ringling College of Art and Design and Massachusetts College of Art and Design.
Early life 
Phan was born in Boston, Massachusetts to Vietnamese parents. Michelle lived in Massachusetts and California, before eventually settling in Tampa, Florida, where she attended high school. As a teenager, Michelle Phan originally intended to become a doctor at the wish of her mother. However, she later convinced her mother to allow her to major in illustration. She was inspired by her mother's career as a nail technician. Formerly, she was a student and worked as a part-time waitress at a sushi restaurant.
YouTube career 
Phan first began posting tutorials on Xanga under the username Ricebunny. She later joined YouTube on July 18, 2006 and has created over 250 videos. As of January 2013, she has over 3,322,570 subscribers and 645,352,569 video views, making her channel the most subscribed beauty channel on YouTube. Phan is known for her video style that incorporates her voice-over instruction with music and text subtitles. Her videos are created entirely using iMovie on a MacBook Pro. Popular beauty tutorials released on Phan's YouTube channel have included her "Romantic Valentine Look," "Brighter Larger Looking Eyes," "Makeup for Glasses," and "Mysterious Masquerade Look." Her most popular videos include the "Lady Gaga 'Poker Face' Tutorial" with over 33,000,000 video views, "Lady Gaga Bad Romance Look," with over 34,000,000 views, "Romantic Valentine Look" with over 8,000,000, and "Seductive Vampire" with over 14,000,000. In January, special effects were used in her new Lady Gaga "Bad Romance" video, the first for a makeup instructor. Buzzfeed profiled Phan on January 23, 2009 overnight, turning it into a viral video.
Phan appeared in the August 2009 issue of Seventeen magazine, the St. Petersburg Times on August 23, 2009, the Sun Sentinel on August 24, 2009, and on the popular blog BellaSugar on April 19, 2009. Phan was also featured in a Chilean newspaper for her Barbie video. Phan was also published in the May, 2010 issue of NYLON magazine, as well as Ok and Instyle Magazine.
Other Ventures 
||This article uses bare URLs for citations. (December 2012)|
- "Michelle Phan Net Worth". Celebrity Net Worth. Retrieved September 9, 2012.
- "Michelle Phan, a YouTube sensation for her makeup tutorials, has transformed her life". St. Petersburg Times. Tampabay.com. Retrieved 2010-01-25.
- Who is Michelle Phan? savvysugar.com
- "From". Fox News Tampa Bay. 2010-07-23. Retrieved 2010-08-01.
- "MichellePhan's Channel". YouTube. 2006-07-18. Retrieved 2011-12-19.
- Maria Ricapito (2010-05-28). "Viral Videos: Michelle Phan's Rise to YouTube Stardom". Vanity Fair. Retrieved 2010-05-28.
- May 08, 2009 (2009-05-08). "Lady GaGa Poker Face Tutorial". YouTube. Retrieved 2010-01-25.
- Tamar Anitai (2010-01-27). "Makeup Tutorial: Learn How To Get Lady Gaga's Scary 'Bad Romance' Eyes". MTV. Retrieved 2010-04-17.
- Hayes, Stephanie (2009-08-23). "Michelle Phan, a YouTube sensation for her makeup tutorials, has transformed her life". St. Petersburg Times. Tampabay.com. Retrieved 2010-01-25.
- Peggy Wang (2010-07-09). "How to Get Lady Gaga Googly Eyes [VIDEO]". Buzzfeed.com. Retrieved 2010-07-15.
- "Những mảnh đất hái ra tiền trên Internet" (in Vietnamese). TinNhanh.com. November 11, 2009. Retrieved January 25, 2010.
- "【youtube】メイクで人気の米美女、セーラームーンコスプレ披露" (in Japanese). Searchina. October 30, 2009. Retrieved January 25, 2010.
- "Want Lady Gaga's Eyes? YouTube Beauty Gurus Teach How To Do It Yourself". CNN. 2010-07-08. Retrieved 2010-07-18.
- "Michelle Phan First-ever YouTuber to be Hired as Beauty Brand's Video Makeup Artist". The Independent (U.K.). 2010-02-12. Retrieved 2010-08-01.
- "Wanna be famous? Here's one way". Weblogs.sun-sentinel.com. 2009-08-24. Retrieved 2010-01-25.
- "Revista Reportajes". Lun.com. 2009-10-11. Retrieved 2010-01-25.
- "Niet compatibele browser". Facebook. Retrieved 2010-07-15.