Michigan Department of Education
|Ministers responsible||John C. Austin, Board President
Casandra E. Ulbrich, Board Vice President
Daniel Varner, Board Secretary
Richard Zeile, Board Treasurer
|Agency executives||Michael P. Flanagan, State Superintendent
Susan Broman, Deputy Supt., Office of Great Start
Venessa Keesler, Deputy Supt., Education Services
Joseph Martineau, Deputy Supt., Accountability Services
Carol Wolenberg, Deputy Supt.
|Child agency||Library of Michigan|
|Key document||CONSTITUTION OF MICHIGAN OF 1963 § 3 State board of education; duties.|
Michigan Department of Education (MDE) is a state agency of Michigan, in the United States. MDE oversees public school districts in the state. The agency is headquartered at 608 West Allegan Street in Lansing. The Department of Education is overseen by the State Board of Education. The Board of Education is elected at-large and appoints the Superintendent of Public Instruction. The Superintendent of Public Instruction is also the chair and a non-voting member of the Board. Currently the Superintendent of Public Instruction is Michael P. Flanagan, who was appointed on May 18, 2005.
The State Board of Education is elected every two years in groups of 2 for eight year terms. The Board of Education is one of a few commissions that head up departments, with the other commissions' members appointed by the governor.
Leadership and general supervision over all public education, including adult education and instructional programs in state institutions, except as to institutions of higher education granting baccalaureate degrees, is vested in a state board of education. It shall serve as the general planning and coordinating body for all public education, including higher education, and shall advise the legislature as to the financial requirements in connection therewith.
- MDE - Contact Information. Michigan Department of Education. Retrieved on March 30, 2009.
- MDE - Superintendent. Michigan Department of Education. Retrieved on April 22, 2009
- MDE - Michael P Flanagan, Superintendent of Public Instruction. Michigan Department of Education. Retrieved on April 22, 2009
- MICHIGAN IN BRIEF: 1998–99 Chapter 2: About State Government. Public Sector Consultants, Inc. 1999.
- MDE - State Board of Education. Michigan Department of Education. Retrieved on April 22, 2009
- The Constitution of the State of Michigan of 1963, Article VIII, Sec. 3.
|This article relating to education is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|