|Michael (Mick) Fanning
|Born||Michael Eugene Fanning
13 June 1981
Penrith, New South Wales, Australia
|Residence||Tweed Heads, New South Wales, Australia|
|Height||1.77 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Weight||75 kg (165 lb)|
|Best year||ASP World Champion – 2007, 2009|
|Sponsors||Rip Curl Wetsuits and Clothing, Reef Footwear, Creatures of Leisure Accessories, Dragon Eyewear, Red Bull Energy Drinks, Zen Nutrition, Scullcandy, FCS fins|
2 times ASP World Champion 2007, 2009
|Stance||Natural (regular) foot|
|Shaper(s)||Darren Handley and Wade Tokoro|
|Quiver||5 11" x 18 5/8 x2 1/4|
|Favourite waves||any pointbreak|
|Favourite maneuvers||Hacks and tubes|
He was born in Penrith, New South Wales, Australia on 13 June 1981 to Irish parents. Fanning learned to surf at the age of 5 in coastal South Australia at a town called Mt Gambier, but did not go full on until his family moved to Tweed Heads when he was twelve. He grew up with fellow professional surfer, Joel Parkinson and fellow ripper Nat West. On the edge of the Queensland border, Fanning had access to epic surf north and south and he began to make a name for himself. In 1996 he established himself as one the very best surfers to rule the Queensland points by placing in the top three at the Australian National Titles. But, tragedy stuck in 1998 when his brother Sean died in a car accident along with fellow surfer Joel Green.
He was also caring when he took a wild card entry at the Rip Curl Pro at Bells Beach in 2001 winning one of Australia's most acclaimed contests. He finished 2002 as rookie of the year winning the Billabong Pro at Jeffrey's Bay and earning himself a slot on the 2002 tour as the World Qualifying Series' (WQS) Champion.
He suffered a complete hamstring tear in 2004. He had to have it surgically repaired and made an incredible comeback to become one of the greatest surfers on the ASP world tour.
The year 2007 marked Fanning's sixth year on the Association of Surfing Professionals (ASP) World Tour since 2002 and his ninth year on the ASP WQS since 1998. He began his 2007 World Title campaign (WCT) with a victory at the Quiksilver Pro, the first event on the Foster's ASP World Tour, putting himself on top of the ratings. He won the Santa Catarina Pro in Brazil on 6 November 2007 placing above Taj Burrow and Kelly Slater therefore clinching the 2007 ASP world title. In 2008 he suffered a mid-season groin injury. He slipped to eighth position on the end of year ratings. In 2009, Mick Fanning reclaimed his ASP World Champion crown at the famous Pipeline reef break on Oahu’s North Shore. Although Fanning was knocked out by fellow Australian Dean Morrison in Round 4, his points lead from winning three of the last four events was enough to secure victory.
Fanning is married to model Karissa Dalton.
- Non ASP World Tour Victories:
- 3 ASP WQS
- Interview in Tonnta the Irish Surf Magazine issue no. 28, 2008
- Surf For Your Life – the biography of Mick Fanny by Mick Fanny & Tim Baker, Published by Random House Australia,2009 ISBN 978-1-74166-927-5
- Mick Fanning crowned ASP World Champion in perfect surf at Pipeline by Murray Wardrop, Daily Telegraph, 13 Dec 2009 
- Mick Fanny's best surf breaks
- MacDonald, Andrew (17 March 2008). "Media wiped out as world champ weds". The Gold Coast Bulletin. Retrieved 28 December 2011.
- "Fanning wins ASP surf tourney in France". United Press International. 27 September 2009. Retrieved 2010-03-14.
- "Fanning Wins Rip Curl Pro Search". CNN Sports Illustrated. TransWorld Surfing. 28 October 2009. Retrieved 2010-03-14.