||It has been suggested that this article be merged into Green Energy Act 2009. (Discuss) Proposed since March 2012.|
MicroFIT is a renewable energy microgeneration program (less than 10 kW) in the Province of Ontario, launched in October 2009 following the Green Energy Act 2009, alongside feed-in tariff (FIT) to provide incentives for landowners to generate wind, solar, hydroelectric or other clean energy to sell to the electrical grid. Most applications for microFIT generation have been for solar energy.
By December 16, 2009, microFIT issued its first 700 contracts.
Many solar photovoltaic companies have become involved in microFIT installations; the solar panels are also suitable for schools and places of worship. The projects benefit home, farm or business owners by revenue generation, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and approved applicants are guaranteed to receive revenue for twenty years. The Green Energy Act aims to create 50,000 new green-collar jobs by 2012.
|Renewable Fuel||Price ($/kWh)|
|Inception||5 April 2012||26 August 2013|
|Solar (PV) (rooftop)||$0.802||$0.549||$0.396|
|Solar (PV) (non-rooftop)||$0.642||$0.445||$0.291|
Problems and challenges
Installation costs often exceed $50,000 CAN, and only about 9,000 projects have connected to the grid by late 2011 out of over 42,000 applicants. Concerns over islanding, lack of capacity and other problems have resulted in delays for many homeowners in installation, as connection points in some places have not been implemented. Cuts to pay rates generated further controversy.
- OPA, Canada. "Welcome to microFIT". Ontario Power Authority. Retrieved 6 December 2011.
- ENS, Toronto (July 7, 2010). "Solar industry warns against two price system". Environment News Service. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- MoE, Ontario. "FIT and microFIT Program". Ontario Ministry of Energy and Infrastructure. Queen's Printer for Ontario. Retrieved 6 December 2011.
- White, Shelley (November 30, 2011). "Is this solar-power program a money-saver?". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 6 December 2011.
- "FIT/microFIT Price Schedule Changes". Ontario Power Authority. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- McCabe, Don (February 11, 2011). "Hydro grid unfit for microFIT". Better Farming. AgMedia Incorporated. Retrieved 6 December 2011.
- Ferguson, Rob (July 21, 2010). "Solar issue flares on eve of protest meeting". The Toronto Star. Retrieved 6 December 2011.
- O'Flanagan, Rob (July 7, 2010). "Solar industry warns against two price system". Guelph Mercury. Retrieved 6 December 2011.
- About MicroFIT and your Rate of Return - WSE microFIT
- Home solar power catching on - Jill Colton, The Weather Network News (August 17, 2011)