|Industry||Telecommunications, Consumer Electronics|
|Founded||Delhi, India (29 March 2000)|
|Headquarters||Gurgaon, Haryana, India|
|Area served||India, Russia, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal|
|Key people||Sanjay Kapoor (Chairman)
Vineet Taneja (CEO)
Shubhodip Pal (CMO)
|Products||Mobile phones, smartphones, tablet computers, 3G Datacards, LED televisions|
|Revenue||US$ 2.2 billion (2014)|
Micromax is an Indian consumer electronics company headquartered in Gurgaon, Haryana, India. It is in the business of selling badge engineered and Chinese contract manufactured mobile phones, tablet computers, 3G data cards and LED televisions.
Micromax started as an IT software company in 2000 and worked on embedded platforms. It entered the mobile handset business, and became one of the largest Indian domestic mobile handsets company operating in low cost feature phone segments by 2010.
Micromax has presence in more than 560 districts through 125,000 retail outlets in India. The company has sales presence spread across the SAARC markets including Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Nepal. On 24 January 2014, Micromax became the first Indian mobile company to start sales in Russia.
Micromax was incorporated as Micromax Informatics Ltd. on 29 March 2000. They started manufacturing mobile phones in 2008 with a focus on low pricing, in order to compete with international brands.
Because of the issues of power in Baharampur , Rahul Sharma saw a hone being powered by a truck battery and decided to develop a longer battery life. Micromax launched its first phone with a month long battery back-up known as X1i. In 2011, Micromax entered the tablet market with the Canvas series.
Twinkle Khanna was one of the first celebrities to endorse Micromax Mobiles. Hugh Jackman appeared in the 2013 commercial for the Canvas Turbo smartphone. In July 2013, Chitrangada Singh posed for Canvas 4 smartphone in New Delhi.
- Mitra, Moinak (3 May 2013). "Billion-dollar team: How Micromax is gearing up to touch $1-bn mark". indiatimes.com.
- "Micromax beomes number one mobile phone company in India". Patrika Group (5 August 2014). Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- "Micromax on their journey to success". YourStory.in. 17 September 2013.
- Joseph, Lison (27 June 2011) We never thought we would sell 1.8 million handsets a month: Micromax co-founder – Money – DNA. Dnaindia.com. Retrieved on 28 November 2013.
- . bgr (23 January 2014). Retrieved on 24 January 2014.
- "Micromax Informatics Ltd.". tofler.in.
- "Micromax, An Indian Mobile Phone Company That Got It Right". techtree.com. 13 February 2013.
- Singh, A. "Micromax: Capitalising on innovation and pricing". Retrieved 1 November 2013.
- IQ India 2012 | Speakers and Panelists. Fonearena.com. Retrieved on 28 November 2013.
- Dharmakumar, Rohin (27 February 2010). "Micromax Mobile Advantage". forbesindia.com (forbesindia.com).
- Khurana, Rohit (27 August 2013). "Micromax Canvas Series India- Evolution And How It Affected Indian Smartphone Market". intellectdigest.in (intellectdigest.in).
- "Mobile Phones". 8 August 2014.
- "New 'Fast' rising phone makers from China and India". ibtimes.com (ibtimes.com). 22 April 2014.
- "Micromax close to overtaking Samsung in India". gsmarena.com. 22 April 2014.
- "Micromax starts manufacturing smartphones in India". economictimes.indiatimes.com. 23 April 2014.
- Hugh Jackman to be face of Micromax. The Hindu (18 October 2013). Retrieved on 28 November 2013.
- . TOI (26 December 2014). Retrieved on 24 January 2014.
- . NDTV (13 February 2013). Retrieved on 24 January 2014.