|Industry||Telecommunications, Consumer Electronics|
|Founded||Delhi, India (29 March 2000)|
|Headquarters||Gurgaon, Haryana, India|
|India, Russia, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal|
|Sanjay Kapoor (Chairman)
Vineet Taneja (CEO)
Shubhodip Pal (CMO)
|Products||Mobile phones, smartphones, tablet computers, 3G Datacards, LED televisions|
|Revenue||US$ 2.53 billion (2015)|
|Slogan||"Nothing like Anything"|
Micromax is an Indian consumer electronics company headquartered in Gurgaon, Haryana, India. Micromax started as an IT software company in 2000 and worked on embedded platforms. It entered the mobile handset business, and became one of the largest Indian domestic mobile handsets company operating in low cost feature phone segments by 2010. As of Q3 2014, Micromax is the tenth largest handset seller in the world.
Micromax was incorporated as Micromax Informatics Ltd. on 29 March 2000. They started rebranding Chinese imported mobile phones in 2008 with a focus on low pricing, in order to compete with international brands. Because of the issues of power in Dewas, Rahul Sharma saw a PCO being powered by a truck battery and decided to launch a feature phone with longer battery life. Micromax launched its first phone with a month-long battery back-up known as X1i. In 2014, Micromax surpassed Samsung to become the mobile phone manufacturer shipping the most number of phones in a single quarter in India. On 24 January 2014, Micromax became the first Indian mobile company to start sales in Russia.
In 2011, Micromax entered the tablet market with the Funbook series. Micromax launched its first Octa Core flagship smartphone named as Canvas Knight A350,which was a rebranded French/Chinese mobile phone known as Wiko Highway under the tagline 'Can be Furiously Fast' in March 2014. In 2014, Micromax launched its Android One smartphone known as Canvas A1. In November 2014, Micromax partnered with Cyanogen Inc. to provide Cyanogen-based smartphones in India, under the brand name YU. The first mobile under this brand 'YU' happens to be a clone of the Coolpad F2 4G running on cyanogen mod named 'Yureka'.
Originally, the company sourced all its products from China. However, since April 2014, they have started manufacturing LED TVs and tablets at their facility in Rudraprayag, Uttarakhand.
Akshay Kumar and Twinkle Khanna were one of the first celebrities to endorse Micromax Mobiles.Hugh Jackman appeared in the 2013 commercial for the Canvas Turbo A250 (a rebranded French/Chinese mobile phone known as Wiko Darkfull in France) which was Micromax's first flagship smartphone. In July 2013, Chitrangada Singh posed for Canvas 4 smartphone in New Delhi.
Micromax devices have unwanted apps being silently installed without user consent or permission posing a huge security risk to the devices.
- "Micromax beomes number one mobile phone company in India". Patrika Group (5 August 2014). Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- "Micromax on their journey to success". YourStory.in. 17 September 2013.
- Joseph, Lison (27 June 2011) We never thought we would sell 1.8 million handsets a month: Micromax co-founder – Money – DNA. Dnaindia.com. Retrieved on 28 November 2013.
- "Micromax Informatics Ltd.". tofler.in.
- "Micromax, An Indian Mobile Phone Company That Got It Right". techtree.com. 13 February 2013.
- Singh, A. "Micromax: Capitalising on innovation and pricing". Retrieved 1 November 2013.
- IQ India 2012 | Speakers and Panelists. Fonearena.com. Retrieved on 28 November 2013.
- Dharmakumar, Rohin (27 February 2010). "Micromax Mobile Advantage". forbesindia.com (forbesindia.com).
- "Mobile Phones". 8 August 2014.
- "New 'Fast' rising phone makers from China and India". ibtimes.com (ibtimes.com). 22 April 2014.
- "Micromax close to overtaking Samsung in India". gsmarena.com. 22 April 2014.
- . bgr (23 January 2014). Retrieved on 24 January 2014.
- Khurana, Rohit (27 August 2013). "Micromax Canvas Series India- Evolution And How It Affected Indian Smartphone Market". intellectdigest.in (intellectdigest.in).
- "Cyanogen Inc Announces Micromax Partnership In India, Forming The "YU" Phone Brand". Micromax Co. Retrieved 14 Dec 2014.
- "Micromax’s ‘Yu’ brand handset to be launched next month". The Hindu. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- "Micromax Launches New Phone Brand ‘Yu’ Powered by CyanogenMod". Micromax Co. (19 November 2014). Retrieved 14 Dec 2014.
- "Micromax starts manufacturing smartphones in India". economictimes.indiatimes.com. 23 April 2014.
- Hugh Jackman to be face of Micromax. The Hindu (18 October 2013). Retrieved on 28 November 2013.
- Micromax Remotely Installing Unwanted Apps on Devices