|Type||Private Limited Company|
|Industry||Telecommunications, Consumer Electronics|
|Founder(s)||Rahul Sharma, Sumeet Arora, Vikas Jain|
|Headquarters||Gurgaon, Haryana, India|
|Area served||India, Russia, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka,Nepal|
|Key people||Shubhodip Pal (CMO)
Ajay Sharma (Smartphone Business Head)
Khaja Muzafarullah (Feature phone Business Head)
Amit Mathur (International Business Head)
|Products||Mobile Phone, Smartphone, Tablet Computers, 3G, Datacards, LED, Televisions See products listing|
|Revenue||US$ 1.2 billion (2012)|
Micromax is an Indian consumer electronics company located in Gurgaon, Haryana, India. It is in the business of manufacturing of Mobile Telephones, Tablet Computers, 3G Datacards and LED Televisions. It has 23 offices in India and an international office in Hong Kong.
Micromax started as an IT software company in the year 2000 working on embedded platforms.It entered mobile handset business and by 2010 it became one of the largest Indian domestic mobile handsets company operating in low cost feature phone segments. The company has a 22% market share in the smartphone segment in India. As per IDC  for Q2 2013. The company's product portfolio has more than 60 models ranging from feature rich, dual SIM phones, 3G Android Smartphones, TabletsPC's, LED Televisions and 3G data cards. The company claims it has many firsts to its credit in the Mobile handset market – including the 30-day battery backup, dual SIM, QWERTY Keypad, Universal Remote Control Mobile Phone,first dual-boot Android and Windows 8 tablet, etc.
Micromax has presence in more than 560 districts through 125,000 retail outlets in India. The company has sales presence spread across Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal and was once present in UAE and Brasil. On 24 January 2014, Micromax became the first Indian mobile company to start sales in Russia.
Micromax started its mobile phone manufacturing operations in 2010 when multinationals ruled the telecom industry. With an understanding of the rapidly changing consumer preferences coupled with the use of the latest technologies; Micromax differentiated itself from the other players with its pricing Everything started with a truck battery in the year 2007. In the powerless city of Baharampur in the Indian State of West Bengal, Mr. Rahul Sharma saw an AirtelPay Phone being powered by a truck battery. Every night, the PCO owner would lug the battery 12 km to an adjoining village on his cycle, charge it there overnight, and lug it back to Berhampur in the morning. Rahul was fascinated by the nature of innovative adaptation to suit the difficult conditions which the payphone operator had employed and his interest only grew when he found out that to everyone’s surprise, the operator was also able to earn a tidy sum of money. Based on this experience of innovation arising from constraint, Micromax soon launched its first phone with a month long battery back-up known as X1i. In 2011, Micromax entered the phablet market with the Canvas series.
On 28 July 2011, Micromax withdrew its 4.66 billion rupees (about $106 million) initial public offering(IPO) due to volatile market conditions. Bhagwati Products Limited is a Subsidiary unit of Micromax which is located at Rudrapur,Uttarakhand.
Micromax is a top indian Phone maker. But the quality of processor is matter of concern for the customers..
Hugh Jackman appeared in the 2013 commercial for the Canvas Turbo smart phone. On July 2013, Chitrangada Singh poses for Canvas 4 phablet in New Delhi. The Canvas HD A 116 model was launched in 2013. as was the Canvas Juice model.
The company has denied to release the kernel source code for its various android based smartphones. Various online petitions have been raised but vastly went unheard.
- Micromax Revenue. MobilePhone.co.in (20 October 2010). Retrieved on 28 October 2011.
- Mitra, Moinak (3 May 2013). "Billion-dollar team: How Micromax is gearing up to touch $1-bn mark". indiatimes.com.
- "Micromax makes foray into UAE". khaleejtimes. 6 October 2010. Retrieved 21 October 2010.
- "Micromax launches world's lightest touch phone". The Economic Times. Retrieved 21 October 2010.[dead link]
- "Micromax on their journey to success". YourStory.in. 17 September 2013.
- Joseph, Lison (27 June 2011) We never thought we would sell 1.8 million handsets a month: Micromax co-founder – Money – DNA. Dnaindia.com. Retrieved on 28 November 2013.
- "Micromax giving Samsung a run for its money, says report". Firstpost. 30 August 2013.
- . bgr (23 January 2014). Retrieved on 24 January 2014.
- "Micromax, An Indian Mobile Phone Company That Got It Right". techtree.com. 13 February 2013.
- Singh, A. "Micromax: Capitalising on innovation and pricing". Retrieved 1 November 2013.
- IQ India 2012 | Speakers and Panelists. Fonearena.com. Retrieved on 28 November 2013.
- Dharmakumar, Rohin (27 February 2010). "Micromax Mobile Advantage". forbesindia.com (forbesindia.com).
- Khurana, Rohit (27 August 2013). "Micromax Canvas Series India- Evolution And How It Affected Indian Smartphone Market". intellectdigest.in (intellectdigest.in).
- Micromax Withdraws ,6 Million IPO – WSJ.com. Online.wsj.com (28 July 2011). Retrieved on 29 October 2011.
- "Micromax Canvas Series India - Water Proof". 18 February 2014.
- "Micromax Launches 6 Inch Phablet". 18 January 2014.
- "Microsoft Announced Prestigio And Micromax As Latest Hardware Partners of Windows Phone". 2 April 2014.
- Hugh Jackman to be face of Micromax. The Hindu (18 October 2013). Retrieved on 28 November 2013.
- . NDTV (13 February 2013). Retrieved on 24 January 2014.
- . TOI (26 December 2014). Retrieved on 24 January 2014.
- "Mircomax India violating GPL Licence".