|Industry||Telecommunications, Consumer Electronics|
|Founded||Delhi, India (29 March 2000)|
|Headquarters||Gurgaon, Haryana, India|
|India, Russia, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal|
|Sanjay Kapoor (Chairman)
Vineet Taneja (CEO)
|Products||Mobile phones, smartphones, tablet computers, 3G Datacards, LED televisions|
US$ 2.88 billion (Q1 2015)US$ 3.05 billion (Q2 2015)
|Slogan||"Nothing like Anything", CAN slogans for Canvas series|
Micromax is an Indian consumer electronics company headquartered in Gurgaon, Haryana, India. Micromax started as an IT software company in 2000 and worked on embedded platforms. It entered the mobile handset business, and became one of the largest Indian domestic mobile handsets company operating in low cost feature phone segments by 2010. As of Q3 2014, Micromax is the tenth largest Smartphone vendor in the world.
Micromax was incorporated as Micromax Informatics Ltd. on 29 March 2000. They started selling mobile phones in 2008, with a focus on low pricing, in order to compete with international brands. Because of the issues of power in dewas, Rahul Sharma saw a PCO being powered by a truck battery and decided to launch a feature phone with longer battery life. Micromax launched its first phone with a month-long battery back-up known as X1i. In 2014, Micromax surpassed Samsung to become the mobile phone manufacturer shipping the most number of phones in a single quarter in India. On 24 January 2014, Micromax became the first Indian mobile company to start sales in Russia. Micromax became the second largest smartphone company in India after the launch of its Canvas 2 A110.
In 2011, Micromax entered the tablet market with the Funbook series. Micromax launched its first Octa Core flagship smartphone named as Canvas Knight A350, under the tagline 'Can be Furiously Fast' in January 2014 in Russia. In 2014, Micromax launched its Android One smartphone known as Canvas A1. In November 2014, Micromax partnered with Cyanogen Inc. to provide Cyanogen-based smartphones in India, under the brand name YU. The first mobile under this brand 'YU' happens to be a 4G phone running on cyanogen mod named 'Yureka'. Yu Yureka has created a record time for Lightning Sales, 15000 Units sold withind 3 seconds. Every Sales of YU is within first 3–4 seconds. Recently, Micromax has released a new phone in canvas series named Canvas HUE which has a HD Amoled Screen at a very low price of Rs. 10,999.
While most of Micromax's smartphones are powered by the Android OS, the company does market smartphones which operate Microsoft's Windows Phone 8.1. An official Windows Phone 8.1 hardware partner, Micromax launched 2 Windows Phone handsets in June 2014, the Micromax Canvas Win W092 and the Micromax Canvas Win W121, which are priced at 6500 and 9500 respectively. However, the Canvas Win W092 variant was soon discontinued and only the Canvas Win W121 variant is currently being sold. The Canvas Win W121 directly competes with the Nokia Lumia 630, the Microsoft Lumia 535 and the XOLO Win Q900s pricewise.In 2015 Micromax launches best selfie camera smartphone Micromax selfie and Micromax plans to launches its first 4G Budget smartphone Micromax Canvas Juice 2 with Android 5.0 lollipop.
||This section may require copy editing for grammar, cohesiveness. (March 2015)|
Since April 2014, they have started manufacturing LED TVs and tablets at their facility in Rudraprayag, Uttarakhand.
in Feb'2015, MMX to make a Rs.500 crore manufacturing plant is all set to come up in Rajashtan`s Alwar district following the signing of an MoU between the state government and Bhagwati Products Ltd. on 20th Feb'15. Spread across 25 acres, it would be the second manufacturing plant in the country by Bhagwati Products Ltd. for production of mobile handsets, LED TVs, LED Lights etc. for Micromax Brand. It will be set up at Karoli near Bhiwadi town, about 200 km from here. The memorandum of understanding (MoU) for the plant was signed by Rajesh Agarwal, chairman of Bhagwati Products Ltd. and co-founder of the Micromax Informatics Ltd., and Veenu Gupta, principal secretary industries, Rajasthan and managing director, Rajasthan State Industrial Development and Investment Corporation (RIICO) Ltd. CS Rajan, Rajasthan chief secretary and RIICO chairman, was also present on this occasion. The company plans to invest Rs.500 crore in the project initially and it is expected to provide direct employment to 5,000 persons.
Akshay Kumar and Twinkle Khanna were one of the first celebrities to endorse Micromax Mobiles.Hugh Jackman appeared in the 2013 commercial for the Canvas Turbo A250 which was Micromax's first flagship smartphone. In July 2013, Chitrangada Singh posed for Canvas 4 smartphone in New Delhi.
Blocking OnePlus sales in India
New Delhi court banned OnePlus from selling its One smartphone in India, at the request of local manufacturer Micromax because Micromax has an exclusive deal with Cyanogen that prevents any other company from selling Cyanogen-powered devices in India, including OnePlus.OnePlus is banned from shipping any devices running Cyanogen in India, but it can still ship the OnePlus One with different software on board. However, there’s no official info on when could that happen.
The company offered the following statement:
"In accordance with a judgment passed by the Delhi High Court, we will no longer be producing the OnePlus One with CyanogenMod to be sold in India."
- "Micromax beomes number one mobile phone company in India". Patrika Group (5 August 2014). Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- "Micromax on their journey to success". YourStory.in. 17 September 2013.
- Joseph, Lison (27 June 2011) We never thought we would sell 1.8 million handsets a month: Micromax co-founder – Money – DNA. Dnaindia.com. Retrieved on 28 November 2013.
- "Micromax Informatics Ltd.". tofler.in.
- Limaye, Jayesh (13 February 2013). "Micromax, An Indian Mobile Phone Company That Got It Right". Techtree. Retrieved 17 March 2015.
- Singh, A. "Micromax: Capitalising on innovation and pricing". Retrieved 1 November 2013.
- IQ India 2012 | Speakers and Panelists. Fonearena.com. Retrieved on 28 November 2013.
- Dharmakumar, Rohin (27 February 2010). "Micromax Mobile Advantage". forbesindia.com (forbesindia.com).
- "Mobile Phones". 8 August 2014.
- "New 'Fast' rising phone makers from China and India". ibtimes.com (ibtimes.com). 22 April 2014.
- "Micromax close to overtaking Samsung in India". gsmarena.com. 22 April 2014.
- . bgr (23 January 2014). Retrieved on 24 January 2014.
- Khurana, Rohit (27 August 2013). "Micromax Canvas Series India- Evolution And How It Affected Indian Smartphone Market". intellectdigest.in (intellectdigest.in).
- "Cyanogen Inc Announces Micromax Partnership In India, Forming The "YU" Phone Brand". Micromax Co. Retrieved 14 Dec 2014.
- "Micromax’s ‘Yu’ brand handset to be launched next month". The Hindu. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- "Micromax Launches New Phone Brand ‘Yu’ Powered by CyanogenMod". Micromax Co. (19 November 2014). Retrieved 14 Dec 2014.
- Microsoft announces Windows Phone 8.1, Micromax new hardware partner
- Micromax introduces Canvas Win series; Launches two Windows-based phones- Canvas Win W121 and Canvas Win W092!
- "Micromax starts manufacturing smartphones in India". economictimes.indiatimes.com. 23 April 2014.
- Hugh Jackman to be face of Micromax. The Hindu (18 October 2013). Retrieved on 28 November 2013.
- "Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle". XDA Developers. 18 December 2014. Retrieved 17 March 2015.