|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2014)|
|Industry||Telecommunications, Consumer Electronics|
|Founded||Delhi, India (29 March 2000)|
|Headquarters||Gurgaon, Haryana, India|
|Area served||India, Russia, Japan Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal|
|Key people||Sanjay Kapoor (Chairman)
Vineet Taneja (CEO)
Shubhodip Pal (CMO)
|Products||Mobile phones, smartphones, tablet computers, 3G Datacards, LED televisions|
|Revenue||US$ 2.2 billion (2014)|
Micromax is an Indian consumer electronics company headquartered in Gurgaon, Haryana, India. Micromax started as an IT software company in 2000 and worked on embedded platforms. It entered the mobile handset business, and became one of the largest Indian domestic mobile handsets company operating in low cost feature phone segments by 2010.
Micromax was incorporated as Micromax Informatics Ltd. on 29 March 2000. They started manufacturing mobile phones in 2008 with a focus on low pricing, in order to compete with international brands. Because of the issues of power in Dewas , Mohit Gangadhar Sharma saw a phone being powered by a truck battery and decided to develop a longer battery life. Micromax launched its first phone with a month long battery back-up known as X1i. In 2011, Micromax entered the tablet market with the Canvas series.
In 2014, Micromax surpassed Samsung to become the mobile phone manufacturer shipping the most number of phones in a single quarter in India. On 24 January 2014, Micromax became the first Indian mobile company to start sales in Russia.
Originally, the company sourced all its mobile phones from China. However, since April 2014, they have started manufacturing mobile phones and tablets at their facility in Rudraprayag, Uttarakhand.
Akshay Kumar and Twinkle Khanna were one of the first celebrities to endorse Micromax Mobiles.Hugh Jackman appeared in the 2013 commercial for the Canvas Turbo smartphone. In July 2013, Chitrangada Singh posed for Canvas 4 smartphone in New Delhi.
In October 2014, Micromax stuck a deal with CyanogenMod to release a CyanogenMod-powered handset as early as the end of the year.
- Mitra, Moinak (3 May 2013). "Billion-dollar team: How Micromax is gearing up to touch $1-bn mark". indiatimes.com.
- "Micromax beomes number one mobile phone company in India". Patrika Group (5 August 2014). Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- "Micromax on their journey to success". YourStory.in. 17 September 2013.
- Joseph, Lison (27 June 2011) We never thought we would sell 1.8 million handsets a month: Micromax co-founder – Money – DNA. Dnaindia.com. Retrieved on 28 November 2013.
- "Micromax Informatics Ltd.". tofler.in.
- "Micromax, An Indian Mobile Phone Company That Got It Right". techtree.com. 13 February 2013.
- Singh, A. "Micromax: Capitalising on innovation and pricing". Retrieved 1 November 2013.
- IQ India 2012 | Speakers and Panelists. Fonearena.com. Retrieved on 28 November 2013.
- Dharmakumar, Rohin (27 February 2010). "Micromax Mobile Advantage". forbesindia.com (forbesindia.com).
- Khurana, Rohit (27 August 2013). "Micromax Canvas Series India- Evolution And How It Affected Indian Smartphone Market". intellectdigest.in (intellectdigest.in).
- "Mobile Phones". 8 August 2014.
- "New 'Fast' rising phone makers from China and India". ibtimes.com (ibtimes.com). 22 April 2014.
- "Micromax close to overtaking Samsung in India". gsmarena.com. 22 April 2014.
- . bgr (23 January 2014). Retrieved on 24 January 2014.
- "Micromax starts manufacturing smartphones in India". economictimes.indiatimes.com. 23 April 2014.
- Hugh Jackman to be face of Micromax. The Hindu (18 October 2013). Retrieved on 28 November 2013.
- . TOI (26 December 2014). Retrieved on 24 January 2014.
- . NDTV (13 February 2013). Retrieved on 24 January 2014.