|Type||Private Limited Company|
|Industry||Telecommunications, Consumer Electronics|
|Headquarters||Gurgaon, Haryana, India|
|Area served||India, Russia, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal|
|Key people||Rahul Sharma (Co-Founder)
Vikas Jain (Co-Founder)
Sumeet Arora (Co-Founder)
Rajesh Agarwal (Co-Founder)
Sanjay Kapoor (Chairman of Board & part of the promoter group)
Atul Nigam (CIO)
Shubhodip Pal (CMO)
Khaja Muzafarullah (VP Sales Peninsula)
Amit Mathur (Vice President, International Business)
Prosenjit Sen (VP Sales- Himalayan)
|Products||Mobile Phone, Smartphone, Tablet Computers, 3G, Datacards, LED, Televisions See products listing|
|Revenue||US$ 1.2 billion (2012)|
Micromax is an Indian consumer electronics company headquartered in Gurgaon, Haryana, India. It is in the business of manufacturing of Mobile Telephones, Tablet Computers, 3G Datacards and LED Televisions.
Micromax started as an IT software company in 2000 and worked on embedded platforms. It entered the mobile handset business, and became one of the largest Indian domestic mobile handsets company operating in low cost feature phone segments by 2010.
Micromax has presence in more than 560 districts through 125,000 retail outlets in India. The company has sales presence spread across the SAARC markets including Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Nepal. On 24 January 2014, Micromax became the first Indian mobile company to start sales in Russia.
Micromax was originally incorporated on 29 March 2000. It started its mobile phone manufacturing operations in 2010 when multinationals ruled the telecom industry. With an understanding of the rapidly changing consumer preferences coupled with the use of the latest technologies; Micromax differentiated itself from the other players with its pricing Everything started with a truck battery in the year 2007. In the powerless city of Baharampur in the Indian State of West Bengal, Mr. Rahul Sharma saw an AirtelPay Phone being powered by a truck battery. Every night, the PCO owner would lug the battery 12 km to an adjoining village on his cycle, charge it there overnight, and lug it back to Berhampur in the morning. Rahul was fascinated by the nature of innovative adaptation to suit the difficult conditions which the payphone operator had employed and his interest only grew when he found out that to everyone’s surprise, the operator was also able to earn a tidy sum of money. Based on this experience of innovation arising from constraint, Micromax soon launched its first phone with a month long battery back-up known as X1i. In 2011, Micromax entered the phablet market with the Canvas series.
Manufacturing in India
- Micromax Revenue. MobilePhone.co.in (20 October 2010). Retrieved on 28 October 2011.
- Mitra, Moinak (3 May 2013). "Billion-dollar team: How Micromax is gearing up to touch $1-bn mark". indiatimes.com.
- "Micromax on their journey to success". YourStory.in. 17 September 2013.
- Joseph, Lison (27 June 2011) We never thought we would sell 1.8 million handsets a month: Micromax co-founder – Money – DNA. Dnaindia.com. Retrieved on 28 November 2013.
- . bgr (23 January 2014). Retrieved on 24 January 2014.
- "Micromax Informatics Ltd.". tofler.in.
- "Micromax, An Indian Mobile Phone Company That Got It Right". techtree.com. 13 February 2013.
- Singh, A. "Micromax: Capitalising on innovation and pricing". Retrieved 1 November 2013.
- IQ India 2012 | Speakers and Panelists. Fonearena.com. Retrieved on 28 November 2013.
- Dharmakumar, Rohin (27 February 2010). "Micromax Mobile Advantage". forbesindia.com (forbesindia.com).
- Khurana, Rohit (27 August 2013). "Micromax Canvas Series India- Evolution And How It Affected Indian Smartphone Market". intellectdigest.in (intellectdigest.in).
- "Mobile Phones". economist.com. 22 April 2014.
- "New 'Fast' rising phone makers from China and India". ibtimes.com (ibtimes.com). 22 April 2014.
- "Micromax close to overtaking Samsung in India". gsmarena.com. 22 April 2014.
- Hugh Jackman to be face of Micromax. The Hindu (18 October 2013). Retrieved on 28 November 2013.
- . TOI (26 December 2014). Retrieved on 24 January 2014.
- . NDTV (13 February 2013). Retrieved on 24 January 2014.