Microsoft Office 2000
Microsoft Office 2000 running on Windows 95
|Initial release||June 7, 1999|
|Discontinued||Service Pack 3 (SP3) / October 21, 2002|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
|License||Proprietary commercial software|
Microsoft Office 2000 is a release of Microsoft Office, an office suite for Microsoft Windows family of operating systems. Released to manufacturing on March 29, 1999 and shipped on June 7, 1999, it succeeded Microsoft Office 97 and preceded Microsoft Office XP. It comes in five different editions, the most comprehensive of which is Office 2000 Developer.
Microsoft Office 2000 was designed as a fully 32-bit suite of software developed with Y2k bug in mind. All the Office 2000 applications support Object Linking and Embedding (OLE) which allows moving data automatically between various programs.
Office 2000 was the first version of Office to use Windows Installer technology. This allowed service packs to be slipstreamed into the original installation files. The first update was called Service Release 1 (SR-1). Subsequent updates were called service packs. Service Pack 3, which was released on October 21, 2002, was the last service pack.
All retail editions of Office 2000 sold in Australia, Brazil, China, France, and New Zealand and academic copies sold in Canada and the United States required the user to activate the product via the Internet. In the United States, after the release of SR-1, this requirement was extended to all copies that included it. Product activation is however disabled in Office 2000 after April 15, 2003.
Microsoft Office 2000 had easter eggs, most of which was removed from SR-1. For example, Microsoft Excel contained a hidden game called Dev Hunter; Microsoft Access had a hidden 8 ball toy; and Microsoft Word had team development credits.
Office 2000 was the last Office to support Windows 95.
Five different editions of Office 2000 were available:
|Office programs||Standard||Small Business||Professional||Premium||Developer|
|Small Business Tools||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Developer Tools and SDK||No||No||No||No||Yes|
Microsoft Office 2000 Personal was an additional SKU, solely designed for the Japanese market, that included Word 2000, Excel 2000 and Outlook 2000. This compilation would later become widespread as Microsoft Office 2003 Basic.
- "Microsoft Office 2000 Released to Manufacturing With Enterprise Customers Ready to Deploy". Microsoft.com. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "Microsoft Office 2000, an Essential Tool For All Knowledge Workers, Is Available This Week". Microsoft. Microsoft. 7 June 1999. Retrieved 14 June 2012.
[Steve] Ballmer ... announced that Microsoft Office 2000 [will be] available in the retail channel later this week [of the 4th, ] on June 10...
- "Office 2000 Update: Service Pack 3". Microsoft. Microsoft. 21 October 2002. Retrieved 14 June 2012.
- "How to determine the version of your Office 2000 program". Microsoft. Microsoft. 20 December 2005. Retrieved 14 June 2012.
- "Microsoft Extends Anti-Piracy Features in Office 2000". Microsoft.com. 1998-12-09. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "Microsoft Incorporates New Anti-Piracy TechnologiesIn Windows 2000, Office 2000". Microsoft.com. 2000-02-10. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "Frequently asked questions about a problem that may cause Office 2000 prompts you to register after April 15, 2003". Support.microsoft.com. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "Office Family Product Support Lifecycle FAQ". Microsoft. Microsoft. 12 October 2011. Retrieved 14 June 2012.
- "Microsoft Office 2000 - Pricing & Ordering". Microsoft. Internet Archive: Microsoft. 2000. Archived from the original on 16 August 2000. Retrieved 14 June 2012.
- "Office 2000 Developer Features Overview". Microsoft. Internet Archive: Microsoft. Archived from the original on 17 November 2000. Retrieved 14 June 2012.
- "Office 2000 - Microsoft Office 2000 Personal". Microsoft Japan (in Japanese). Internet Archive: Microsoft Japan. Archived from the original on 18 February 2007. Retrieved 14 June 2012.
- Office 2000 Solution Center
- Downloads for Office 2000 - Downloads - Microsoft Office Online
- Microsoft Office Programs (original Microsoft site archived by Internet Archive)
- Office 2000 Suites (original Microsoft site archived by Internet Archive)