||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (January 2012)|
Microsoft WebMatrix 3.0
|Stable release||3.0 (v7.1.1932.0) / 12 October 2013|
|Operating system||Windows 7 SP1 and later|
|Platform||IA-32; .NET Framework|
|Available in||English, Italian, Czech, German, Korean, Polish, Japanese, Russian, Port-Brazil, French, Turkish, Spanish, Chinese-Simplified, Chinese-Traditional|
|Type||Text editor, HTML editor, Web Development, Website builder|
Microsoft WebMatrix is a free, cloud-connected web development application for Windows. WebMatrix enables developers to build websites using built-in templates or popular open-source applications, with full support for ASP.NET, PHP, Node.js and HTML 5. Microsoft developed WebMatrix for the purpose of providing web developers with coding, customization, and publishing capabilities all in one place.
WebMatrix is a successor of ASP.NET Web Matrix, which was released in 2003 and later discontinued.
In 2011, WebMatrix was released to support the large number of open source content management systems and to provide a lightweight web development application for PHP and the new, simplified ASP.NET Web Pages. It focused on a clean, simple user interface allowing web developers to build websites from scratch or by customizing open source web content management systems such as Orchard, DotNetNuke, Umbraco, Joomla!, Drupal and WordPress, among others.
From 2011 to 2012, WebMatrix 2 Beta and RC releases added support for Node.js, Mobile simulators, additional website templates, publishing to Windows Azure Web Sites and more. On September 6, 2012, the official release of WebMatrix 2 went public. The release of WebMatrix 3 was made available on May 1, 2013. Unlike Webmatrix 2, Webmatrix 3 does not run on operating systems earlier than Windows 7.
- Simplified creation, publishing, and synchronization of companion cloud websites.
- Integration with source control systems including Git and Team Foundation Server.
- Editing for server side languages ASP.NET, PHP and Node.js.
- Support for jQuery, jQuery Mobile, LESS and Sass.
- Mobile simulators.
- Database manager for MySQL, MS SQL Server, SQL CE.
- Deployment tools for files and database.
- Deployment to either shared hosting, dedicated servers or Windows Azure.
- Transfer files using FTP and Web Deploy.
- Built-in SEO and performance reports.
- Remote and offline editing.
- Download remote sites to your computer for local editing.