Microsoft Web Platform Installer
|Stable release||4.6 / 14 August 2012|
|Platform||x86 (32- and 64-bit)|
Initially released on January 21, 2009, Microsoft Web Platform Installer (Web PI) is a simple, free tool that automates the installation of Microsoft's entire Web Platform including:
- Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Edition
- .NET Framework
- Silverlight Tools for Visual Studio
- and more.
The 2.0 version of the software, released September 24, 2009, adds the ability to automate installation of certain third-party software, such as:
- and more. The list of third-party software which can be installed through the Web Platform Installer grows and holds currently more than 50 applications. For a full list see the gallery.
Additionally, Web PI 2.0's options are populated dynamically at runtime from Microsoft's servers, allowing installation options to be updated without the need to download newer versions of the Web PI software.
On July 7, 2010, Microsoft announced Web PI 3 which includes WebMatrix Beta, a new set of integrated tools for web development. WebMatrix is available only through Web PI 3. Web PI 3 comes with additional tools for web development including IIS Developer Express, SQL Server Compact and several popular open source web applications like DotNetNuke, Umbraco, WordPress and Joomla.
Supported architectures include both x86 and 64-bit.
The Web PI can be downloaded from the Microsoft Web Platform website at www.microsoft.com/web.
- LAMP (software bundle) - free and open source stack to build a general-purpose web server