Microsoft Web Platform Installer
|Platform||x86 (32- and 64-bit)|
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (March 2015)|
Initially released on January 21, 2009, Microsoft Web Platform Installer (Web PI) is a simple, free tool that automates the installation of Microsoft's entire Web Platform including:
- Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Edition
- .NET Framework
- Silverlight Tools for Visual Studio
- and more.
The 2.0 version of the software, released September 24, 2009, adds the ability to automate installation of certain third-party software, such as:
- and more. The list of third-party software which can be installed through the Web Platform Installer grows and holds currently more than 50 applications. For a full list see the gallery.
Additionally, Web PI 2.0's options are populated dynamically at runtime from Microsoft's servers, allowing installation options to be updated without the need to download newer versions of the Web PI software.
On July 7, 2010, Microsoft announced Web PI 3 which includes WebMatrix Beta, a new set of integrated tools for web development. WebMatrix is available only through Web PI 3. Web PI 3 comes with additional tools for web development including IIS Developer Express, SQL Server Compact and several popular open source web applications like DotNetNuke, Umbraco, WordPress and Joomla.
Supported architectures include both x86 and 64-bit.
The Web PI can be downloaded from the Microsoft Web Platform website at www.microsoft.com/web.
Whilst the web platform installer is useful it is not usable in environments where an internet connection is not available such as some back-end servers in deployed in an enterprise scenario. To overcome this limitation Microsoft have introduced an offline mode where products can be downloaded to a local cache on a machine where internet access is available and then use these cached files on a different machine later.
- LAMP (software bundle) - free and open source stack to build a general-purpose web server
- Microsoft Web Platform Installer v1.0 Released! : BillS IIS Blog : The Official Microsoft IIS Site. Blogs.iis.net. Retrieved on 2015-02-06.
- Free Web Development Tools for Windows | Microsoft WebMatrix 3. Microsoft.com. Retrieved on 2015-02-06.
- Windows Web App Gallery - Featured Apps. Microsoft.com. Retrieved on 2015-02-06.
- Download the Microsoft Web Platform. Microsoft.com (2013-02-14). Retrieved on 2015-02-06.
- Web Platform Installer v4 Command Line (WebPICMD.exe) - RTW release : The Official Microsoft IIS Site. Iis.net (2014-12-04). Retrieved on 2015-02-06.