Microwave analog signal processing
Microwave analog signal processing (ASP), as an alternative to DSP-based processing, might be defined as the manipulation of signals in their pristine analog form and in real time to realize specific operations enabling microwave or millimeter-wave and terahertz applications.
The exploding demand for higher spectral efficiency in radio has spurred a renewed interest in analog real-time components and systems beyond conventional purely digital signal processing techniques. Although they are unrivaled at low microwave frequencies, due to their high flexibility, compact size, low cost and strong reliability, digital devices suffer of major issues, such as poor performance, high cost of A/D and D/A converters and excessive power consumption, at higher microwave and millimeter-wave frequencies. At such frequencies, analog devices and related real-time or analog signal processing (ASP) systems, which manipulate broadband signals in the time domain, may be far preferable, as they offer the benefits of lower complexity and higher speed, which may offer unprecedented solutions in the major areas of radio engineering, including communications, but also radars, sensors, instrumentation and imaging.
- Caloz, Christophe; Gupta S.; Zhang Q.; Nikfal B. (Sep–Oct 2013). "Analog Signal Processing: A Possible Alternative or Complement to Dominantly Digital Radio Schemes". Microwave Magazine, IEEE 14 (6): 87–103. doi:10.1109/MMM.2013.2269862.
- Nikfal, Babak; Badiere D.; Repeta M.; Deforge B.; Gupta S.; Caloz C. (Nov 2012). "Distortion-Less Real-Time Spectrum Sniffing Based on a Stepped Group-Delay Phaser". Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, IEEE 22 (11): 601–603. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2012.2219514.
- Abielmona, Samer; Gupta S.; Caloz C. (Nov 2009). "Compressive Receiver Using a CRLH-Based Dispersive Delay Line for Analog Signal Processing". Microwave Theory and Techniques, IEEE Transactions 57 (11): 2617–2626. Bibcode:2009ITMTT..57.2617A. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2031927.
- Nikfal, Babak; Gupta S.; Caloz C. (Jun 2011). "Increased Group-Delay Slope Loop System for Enhanced-Resolution Analog Signal Processing". Microwave Theory and Techniques, IEEE Transactions 59 (6): 1622–1628. Bibcode:2011ITMTT..59.1622N. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2117436.
- Gupta, Shulabh; Abielmona S.; Caloz C. (Dec 2009). "Microwave Analog Real-Time Spectrum Analyzer (RTSA) Based on the Spectral–Spatial Decomposition Property of Leaky-Wave Structures". Microwave Theory and Techniques, IEEE Transactions 57 (12): 2989–2999. Bibcode:2009ITMTT..57.2989G. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2034223.