Mid-Buckeye Conference (OHSAA)
The Mid-Buckeye Conference, known also at times as the Middle Buckeye Conference, is an OHSAA athletics conference with member schools located in Ashland, Knox, and Richland counties. Future members will be located in Crawford and Wayne counties.
The following are the current members:
|Danville||Blue Devils||Danville||Blue, White
||1954-1962, 1963-1979, 1981-present|
|Mansfield Christian||Flames||Mansfield||Red, White
|St. Peter's||Spartans||Mansfield||Blue, White
|Crestview||Cougars||Ashland (Weller Township, Richland County)||Red, White, Black
||2014- (Girls Soccer)|
|Mapleton||Mounties||Ashland (Orange Township)||Royal Blue, Red
||2014- (Girls Soccer)|
|Central Christian||Comets||Kidron||Blue, White
||Joining Spring 2015|
- Ashley Aces (Charter member, 1948-1952)
- Cardington-Lincoln Pirates (Charter member, 1948-1954)
- Centerburg Trojans (Charter member, 1948-1962, 1963-1977, 1981-2013)
- Sunbury Eagles (Charter member, 1948-1949)
- Mount Gilead Indians (1949-1954)
- Richwood Tigers (1950-1952, 1953-1954)
- Sunbury Big Walnut Golden Eagles (Consolidation of Sunbury and Galena, 1950-1954)
- Ashley Elm Valley Aces (Consolidation of Ashley, 1952-1954)
- Granville Blue Aces (1954-1962)
- Summit Station Hornets (1954-1956)
- Pataskala Watkins Memorial Warriors (1955-1962)
- Summit Station Licking Heights Hornets (Consolidation of Summit Station, 1956-1962)
- Howard Bulldogs (First reformation charter member, 1963-1964)
- Mount Vernon St. Vincent de Paul Blue Streaks (First reformation charter member, 1963-1968/School closed)
- New Albany Eagles (1965-1972, 1984-1990)
- Gahanna Columbus Academy Vikings (1966-1977)
- Newark Catholic Green Wave (1966-1973)
- Lucas Cubs (1968-1979, Second reformation charter member, 1981-1999)
- Zanesville Bishop Rosecrans Bishops (1977-1979)
- Bowerston Conotton Valley Rockets (1978-1979)
- Mansfield Christian Flames (1982-1983/no football)
- Worthington Christian Warriors (1982-2004/no football)
- Fredericktown Freddies (1999-2013)
- Johnstown-Monroe Johnnies (1950-1962, 1994-2013)
- Northridge Vikings (1986-2013)
- Utica Redskins (1951-1958, 1960-1962, 1999-2013)
- Howard East Knox Bulldogs (1964-1979, 1981-2014)
Originally formed in 1948, the league has had three separate incarnations. The original league lasted until 1962. The MBC reformed again in 1963 and lasted until 1979. The third and final reformation so far, took place in 1981 and that league has lasted to this day.
The league's future
The future of the MBC was threatened by more re-alignment in OHSAA conferences, as five of the league's former members submitted "intent to withdraw" letters to commissioner Wintermute in 2011. Johnstown-Monroe, Northridge, and Utica agreed to join the revamped Licking County League in 2013. Centerburg, Danville, East Knox, and Fredericktown expressed interest in joining the Mid-Ohio Athletic Conference, a league that was exploring expansion in May 2011. MOAC membership was initially only extended to Centerburg and Fredericktown, both of which agreed to join the league in 2013-14. East Knox was offered membership on February 23, 2012 and joined in 2014.
By 2014, the MBC had the possibility of being down to 2 members (Danville and Loudonville). However, applications for admission were submitted by Lucas, Mansfield Christian, and Mansfield St. Peter's to join in 2013-14, and were approved by the league shortly thereafter. The league will continue to look for additional members, although they will not support a football championship. Danville, East Knox, Loudonville, and Lucas began competing as football independents in 2013. Central Christian will join in the Spring of 2015 and Crestline will join in the Fall of 2015. As of the Fall of 2014, both Mapleton and Crestview compete in the MBC for girls soccer.
- Putman, Bob (February 23, 2012). "MOAC to expand to 16 teams: League extends invitations to Galion and East Knox". Marion Star. Retrieved February 23, 2012.
- Davis, Bill (March 9, 2012). "Mid-Buckeye Conference may not be dead after all". Mount Vernon News. Retrieved March 9, 2012.
- Conrad, Curt (May 4, 2012). "MBC welcomes new members: St. Peter's, Mansfield Christian, Lucas join struggling league". Mansfield News Journal. Retrieved May 4, 2012.
- Bates, Jarred A. (December 22, 2014). "Crestline to join Mid-Buckeye Conference in 2015". Mansfield News Journal. Retrieved January 3, 2015.