Canal through Zweth
Location in South Holland
|Established||1 January 2004|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Arnoud Rodenburg (CDA)|
|• Total||49.38 km2 (19.07 sq mi)|
|• Land||47.35 km2 (18.28 sq mi)|
|• Water||2.03 km2 (0.78 sq mi)|
|Elevation||−2 m (−7 ft)|
|Population (January 2014)|
|• Density||390/km2 (1,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Area code||010, 015|
Midden-Delfland ( pronunciation (help·info)) is a municipality in the Westland region in the province of South Holland in the Netherlands. It had a population of 18,449 in 2014, and covers an area of 49.38 km2 (19.07 sq mi) of which 2.03 km2 (0.78 sq mi) is water. Midden-Delfland is considered to be the main Cittaslow of The Netherlands.
It was formed on January 1, 2004, through the merger of the former municipalities:
- Maasland (population: 6,844), covered an area of 24.42 km2 (9.43 sq mi) of which 0.6 km2 (0.23 sq mi) water.
- Schipluiden (population: 11,173), covered an area of 30.00 km2 (11.58 sq mi) of which 0.39 km2 (0.15 sq mi) water.
The green area that comprises the municipality of Midden-Delfland was named Midden-Delfland before 2004, and it referred to the green area surrounded by cities (such as The Hague and Rotterdam) and the horticulture area of Westland. The supporters of a continuous green area were lucky that the municipality of Midden-Delfland became a reality: the cities of Delft, Vlaardingen and Schiedam wanted to build new houses here, and the Westland gardeners also wanted to expand. Now, Midden-Delfland is designated as a recreation area for people from the surrounding cities.
- "Gemeentelijke indeling op 1 januari 2004" [Municipal divisions on 1 January 2004]. cbs.nl (in Dutch). CBS. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- "Samenstelling college" [Members of the board] (in Dutch). Gemeente Midden-Delfland. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 2636HX". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 10 March 2014. Retrieved 11 March 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Midden-Delfland.|