Middle Class Rut
|Middle Class Rut|
|Origin||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Website||Middle Class Rut myspace, Middle Class Rut website|
Middle Class Rut, also known as MC Rut, is an American alternative rock band duo consisting of vocalist/guitarist Zack Lopez and vocalist/drummer Sean Stockham. They were formed in Sacramento, California in December 2006. After several EP's, in 2010 they released their first full-length LP, No Name No Color. Their second album Pick Up Your Head was released June 25, 2013.
Middle Class Rut was formed after the dissolution of Lopez and Stockham's previous band, Leisure, which was signed to Dreamworks Records in 2000 when Lopez and Stockham were in their teens. Leisure came to an end in 2003 and, after taking a hiatus from performing, Lopez and Stockham came together again to form Middle Class Rut.
The band played its first major national tour in the fall of 2007 with Receiving End Of Sirens and Envy On The Coast. Alternative Press reviewed MC Rut's live performance, saying “…it’s mind-blowing to witness the sheer depth and complexity of the sound these two guys are capable of unleashing on their own…but once the novelty subsides, you’re left with incendiary post-rock with visible traces of ‘90s alternative.” The Sacramento Bee, in a major feature this past spring, declared that “Middle Class Rut gives an intense spin to the adage that 'less is more.'” The band toured with Burning Brides during July 2008 and 3 during October 2008.
In late 2007 Sacramento alternative rock station KWOD 106.5 FM (defunct) featured Middle Class Rut's "New Low" as part of its on-air local band feature. KWOD DJ/Music Director Andy Hawk received the submission direct from the band and KWOD DJ Rubin played "New Low" later that day. "New Low" reacted immediately and was quickly added to regular rotation. The song became one of the most requested of the year and KWOD developed a relationship with the band. At the end of 2008, "New Low" was voted top song of the year by KWOD listeners in an on-line poll conducted by the station. Throughout 2008, Zack and Sean did numerous live interviews with KWOD DJs Rubin and Andy Hawk to promote local MC Rut shows. KWOD's parent company flipped the station's format in mid-2009 to an all 1990s format. During a local show after the flip, Middle Class Rut singer/guitarist Zack Lopez made mention of it saying "there's been a death in Sacramento. KWOD 106.5 gave us and a lot of good local bands a chance to be heard by a much bigger audience than we could ever get on our own. So thank you KWOD, we'll miss you." 
San Francisco alternative rock station Live 105 (KITS FM), Merced, CA radio station KBRE on 92.5, and San Diego alternative rock station 91X also played "New Low."
The band released two self-titled EPs, referred to as the Red EP and the Blue EP due to their respective colors, in early 2008, as well as a limited-edition 7" in the UK on November 24, 2008 which featured "Busy Bein' Born" and "All Walks of Life."
In September 2008, the band came to the attention of BBC Radio 1 DJ, Zane Lowe, who then featured their song, "Busy Bein' Born," as his Single of the Week during the week of October 20, 2008. In November 2008, the band was profiled in the Radar section of NME magazine, which described them as "...epic noise alchemists...," and played a five-stop tour in London, England for the first time. On November 19, 2008 the band recorded a live session for BBC One in Studio Four of the BBC's Maida Vale Studios. After this tour, Kerrang! magazine wrote in its December 12, 2008 issue, "[Their] sound is nothing short of colossal, and one that a mere two-piece shouldn't be able to create, combining the boisterous swagger and pomp of Jane's Addiction and the feral fury of Rage Against the Machine.", and Rocksound's December 2008 Christmas issue pegged them as "Ones to Watch," saying, "Their debut double A-side single 'Busy Bein' Born'/'All Walks of Life' is a breath of fresh air in the midst of the musical stench that emo is now emitting."
On May 1, 2009, Middle Class Rut performed at the 2009 Road Recovery Benefit show at the Nokia Theatre in New York.
During a concert in Cesar Chavez Park in Sacramento, California on June 19, 2009, lead singer Zack Lopez announced that Middle Class Rut would be releasing their debut album for which they had recently been recording new material. Lopez did not announce a release date. Outside a concert in Montreal, QC on March 17, 2010, Lopez said the new album was going to be out hopefully next summer.
Middle Class Rut opened for Social Distortion at the end of 2009, and Alice In Chains for the second half of their 2010 tour. They also opened for Them Crooked Vultures in Los Angeles, CA on April 14, 2010 and Las Vegas, Nevada on April 17, 2010. On October 4, 2010, Middle Class Rut released their full length album, No Name No Color in the United States and November 22, 2010 in the UK.
On October 30, 2010, Middle Class Rut opened for Chevelle's second night of the 10 Year Anniversary show at the Metro in Chicago, IL. Chevelle singer and guitarist Pete Loeffler is a fan of Middle Class Rut.
In February, 2011, Middle Class Rut opened for 30 Seconds to Mars at the Main Street Armory in Rochester, New York. On May 21, 2011, Middle Class Rut opened "DC101 Chili Cook-Off" featuring Middle Class Rut, Paper Tongues, Neon Trees, Panic! at the Disco, Papa Roach, Seether and Weezer at RFK Stadium grounds in Washington, D.C.
- Zack Lopez - vocals, guitar
- Sean Stockham - vocals, drums
|No Name No Color|
|Pick Up Your Head||
|Middle Class Rut: Blue EP||
|Middle Class Rut: Red EP||
|Busy Bein' Born/All Walks of Life||
|Busy Bein' Born/Start to Run||
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"All Walks of Life"||2008||—||—||—||Non-album singles|
|"I Guess You Could Say"||2009||—||—||—|
|"New Low"||2010||6||38||12||No Name No Color|
|"Busy Bein' Born"||2011||26||—||47|
|"Are You on Your Way"||2012||33||—||—|
|"Aunt Betty"||2013||38||31||—||Pick Up Your Head|
|"Pick Up Your Head"||2014||—||—||—|
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
- "iTunes - Music - Pick Up Your Head (Deluxe Edition) by Middle Class Rut". Itunes.apple.com. 2013-06-21. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- "AP&R - Alternative Press". Altpress.com. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- "Middle Class Rut - Busy Bein' Born (CD) at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- "Music Photography, Pictures, Galleries, Band Images and Live Photos". Nme.Com. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- "Kerrang! Kerrang! Magazine 17/12/2008". .kerrang.com. 2008-12-17. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- "Issue 117 - Xmas 08 | Magazine | Rock Sound". Rocksound.tv. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- Zane Lowe. "Zane Lowe's Hottest Records blog: Hottest Record - MC Rut - I Guess You Could Say". BBC. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- "Middle Class Rut, ‘Aunt Betty’ – Exclusive Video Premiere". Loudwire.com. 2013-04-26. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- "Record Store Day - Special Release". Retrieved 29 May 2014.
- Ruhlmann, William. "No Name No Color – Middle Class Rut". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved March 12, 2013.
- "Pick Up Your Head – Middle Class Rut". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved March 12, 2013.
- Blue EP (track listing) (Media notes). Middle Class Rut. 2008.
- Red EP (track listing) (Media notes). Middle Class Rut. 2008.
- "25 Years – Middle Class Rut". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved March 12, 2013.
- "Middle Class Rut – Chart History: Alternative Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved March 12, 2013.
- "Middle Class Rut – Chart History: Mainstream Rock Tracks". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved March 12, 2013.
- "Middle Class Rut – Chart History: Rock Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved March 12, 2013.
- All Walks of Life (track listingBright Antenna. 2009.) (Media notes). Middle Class Rut.
- I Guess You Could Say (track listingBright Antenna. 2009.) (Media notes). Middle Class Rut.
- Hurricane (track listingBright Antenna. 2011.) (Media notes). Middle Class Rut.
- Factories/Indians (track listingBright Antenna. 2014.) (Media notes). Middle Class Rut.
- Middle Class Rut Official Page
- Middle Class Rut at Bright Antenna
- Middle Class Rut on Myspace
- "Busy Bein' Born" YouTube Video
- October 20, 2008: "Busy Bein' Born" as Zane Lowe's Single of the Week on BBC Radio1