The middleweight division in mixed martial arts refers to a number of different weight classes:
- UFC's middleweight division, which groups competitors within 171 to 185 lb (77.5 to 84 kg)
- Pancrase's middleweight division, which formerly limited competitors to 181 lb (82 kg) now revised to 185 lb (84 kg)
- Shooto's middleweight class, which refers to competitors between 155 and 167 lb (70 and 76 kg)
- Pride FC's (defunct) middleweight division, which limited competitors to 205 lb (93 kg)
- SRC's (defunct) middleweight division, which formerly limited competitors to 183 lb (83 kg) revised to 185 lb (84 kg)
Ambiguity and clarification
For the sake of uniformity, many mixed martial arts websites refer to competitors between 171 and 185 lb (77.5 and 84 kg) as middleweights. This encompasses the former PRIDE Welterweight division (183 lb / 83 kg) and Shooto's light heavyweight division of the same weight limit.
The Middleweight division in the UFC used to be between 186 and 205 lb (84 and 93 kg) now known as their Light Heavyweight division.
This table is not always up to date. Last updated on September 30, 2014
|UFC||July 6, 2013||Chris Weidman||12-0 (5KO 3SUB)||2|
|Bellator MMA||September 26, 2014||Brandon Halsey||8-0 (1KO 4SUB)||0|
|WSOF||June 21, 2014||David Branch||14-3 (4KO 4SUB)||0|
- List of current MMA Middleweight champions
- List of UFC Middleweight Champions
- List of Strikeforce Middleweight Champions
- List of Pancrase Middleweight Champions
Footnotes and references
- "Nevada Revised Statutes: Chapter 467 - Unarmed Combat". http://www.leg.state.nv.us. Retrieved 2007-02-20.
- "Unified Rules of MMA". Association of Boxing Commissions. Retrieved 2012-07-15.