Midnight Madness (album)
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (March 2009)|
|Studio album by Night Ranger|
|Night Ranger chronology|
Midnight Madness is the second album from Night Ranger, released in 1983. The album contains the band's best known hit, "Sister Christian", and became the band's highest selling album, selling well over a million copies in the US. The first single/video, "(You Can Still) Rock In America" peaked at #51 in early 1984 on Billboard's Hot 100 chart and also reached #15 on Billboard's Mainstream Rock Tracks chart. "Sister Christian" peaked at #5 on Billboard's Hot 100 and was one of the most played videos of 1984. The song also has been featured in several films including "Boogie Nights" and "Rock of Ages" among others. "When You Close Your Eyes" was the third single/video and reached #14 on Billboard's Hot 100 chart and #7 on Billboard's Mainstream Rock Tracks Chart. "Rumours In The Air" also charted on the Billboard Mainstream Rock chart peaking at #26 in the spring of 1984.
All Songs Published By Kid Bird Music/Rough Play Music.
- (You Can Still) Rock in America (Blades, Gillis) - 4:16
- Rumours in the Air (Blades) - 4:33
- Why Does Love Have to Change (Blades) - 3:49
- Sister Christian (Keagy) - 5:03
- Touch of Madness (Blades) - 5:01
- Passion Play (Blades) - 4:43
- When You Close Your Eyes (Blades, Fitzgerald, Gillis) - 4:19
- Chippin' Away (Blades, Gillis) - 4:13
- Let Him Run (Blades, Keagy, Watson) - 3:29
"Rumours in the Air" was featured in the film Sixteen Candles. In the film, it is played through Justin Henry's headphones and can be easily missed.
The power ballad, "Sister Christian" is featured in the 2009 slasher film, Friday the 13th. It appears early on, during the sequence where Wade is wandering through the woods near Camp Crystal Lake, looking for a patch of marijuana plants.
According to a VH1 Behind the Music special, drummer Kelly Keagy wrote the song "Sister Christian" about his own sister. Though not credited, Alan Fitzgerald wrote some of the chord changes.
The German resp. European vinyl edition got a different running order:
- A Side:
- Sister Christian
- Rumours in the Air
- Touch of Madness
- Passion Play
- B Side:
- When You Close Your Eyes
- Chippin' Away
- Let Him Run
- (You Can Still) Rock in America
- Why Does Love Have to Change
- Jack Blades - Bass/Lead vocals
- Jeff Watson - Guitars/Keyboards
- Brad Gillis - Guitars
- Alan Fitzgerald - Keyboards
- Kelly Keagy - Drums/Lead vocals
- Glenn Hughes - backing vocals on "(You Can Still) Rock in America"
- Pat Glasser - Producer
- John VanNest - Engineer
- Brian Gardener - Mastering