Miguel Ángel Gómez Martínez
|Miguel Ángel Gómez Martínez|
17 September 1949 |
|Occupation||Composer and conductor|
|Spouse(s)||Alessandra Ruiz-Zuñiga Macías (2010)|
Miguel Ángel Gómez Martínez (born 1949 in Granada, Spain) is a Spanish conductor and composer. With Germanic education, he is known for his ability not to need a score for conducting and for his rigor when he interprets the works respecting the composer’s wills.
"I started to study music at age of four, by my own will and against my parents will."
At the age of five he was able to pass an examination at the Victoria Eugenia Music Conservatory of Granada and at the age of seven, in 1957, he climbed to the podium and did not only steady conducted the professors of the Band, but also corrected some errors made by the transcriber in the score.
At age of thirteen he got the title of piano professor at the Music Conservatory of Granada and at age of seventeen he won the extraordinary Price in Composition at the Music Conservatory of Madrid. 1964 he moved to Madrid and he got the First Class Diploma and the Price of the Conservatory at the final course.
With the March scholarship, Gómez-Martínez continued his studies of Orchestra and Chorus Conducting in Vienna under Hans Swarowsky’s direction. He got his Title at age of 21, with the Price of the Austrian Ministry of Education and Sciences.
Trajectory as conductor
His debut as conductor is dated at Sankt Pölten, near Vienna, 1973 and then he conducted in Lucerne and Berlin, where he conducted “Fidelio” by Beethoven. In Spain he made his debut 1975, at the International Music and Dance Festival in Granada.
From this moment he started a cereer which took him to be Chief Conductor and Artistic Director of numerous international orchestras: permanent Conductor at the Vienna State Opera (1976-1982), in which hi was distinguished later as permanent guest Conductor, Chief Conductor of the Spanish Radio Television Symphony Orchestra (RTVE) (1984-1987), where he was preceded by Enrique García Asensio and Odón Alonso, 1987 he announced his intention to leave this orchestra as several improvements of the musicians conditions were not fulfilled, such as a higher remuneration and a better image, Chief Conductor or the Teatro de la Zarzuela (1985-1991), Chief Conductor of the Euskadi Orchestra (1989-1993), General Music Director of the City of Mannheim (1990-1993) Musical and Artistic Director of the New Finnish National Opera Helsinki (1993-1996), Chief Conductor of the Hamburg Symphony Orchestra (1992-2000), orchestra which has nominated him as Honor Director, Chief Conductor of the Orquesta de Valencia (1997-2004), in which he continues being guest conductor, General Music Director of the Theatre of Bern (2000-2004), Director of the National Theatre in Mannheim (2004-2005) and since 2004 until today he is the Musical Director of the Easter Festival Orchestra in Bayreuth.
During his career he has conducted the most outstanding international orchestras along the world, in Europe, USA or Far East, as well as most of the Spanish Orchestras. Beside this under his direction he has conducted numerous soloist and singers of recognized international prestige, such asBoris Chistoff, Birgit Nilson, Cesare Siepi, Alfredo Kraus, Luciano Pavarotti, Montserrat Caballé, Plácido Domingo, Ainhoa Arteta, Leo Nucci, as well as many well known instrumentalists such as Mstislav Rostropovitch, Pinchas Zuckermann, Alicia de Larrocha, Maxim Vengeroff, Anne Sophie Mutter, and a very long etc.
Trajectory as composer
Gómez Martínez has compatibilized his career as conductor with the one as composer. Due to his numerous compromises he has seen himself obliged to compose in the meantimes between concert and concert on board of airplanes.
Among his Works stand out Suite Burlesca (1972), Sinfonía del Descubrimiento (Symphony of the Discovery) (1992) with occasion of the 5th. Anniversary of the Discovery of America, Five songs on Poems by Alonso Gamo (1996) for soprano and orchestra, Sinfonía del Agua (Water Symphony) (2007) by order made by EMASAGRA, Morning dawning (Passacaglia) (2010), work for piano, “Atallah”, his only opera until now, “Letters from a lover” work for baritone and symphony orchestra dedicated to his wife, Alessandra, Concerto for piano and orchestra, Concerto for violin and orchestra, as well as several works for piano solo, all of them composed between 2012 and 2013.+
Concept about orchestra conducting
As conductor Miguel Angel Gomez Martínez is well known for his memory, as he conducts by heart for affinity to humanist method:
"A conductor should look at the faces of his musicians."
As conductor is also outstanding his special interest in maintaining the composer’s essence, so, he pleads for the conductor’s obligation of reproducing as faithful as possible the composer’s intentions, without adding or eliminating anything from the original score.
"In the scores is written everything what we have to know, without adding or removing anything."
Along his career he has received numerous prices, so he got the Gold Medal of the City of Granada for his extraordinary artistic merits 1984, he is designated Citizen of Granada of the XXth Century by the Town hall of Granada, his home city, 1995 King Juan Carlos I has awarded him with the Encomienda de Número of the Order of Civil Merit, The Ministry of Culture of the state Bavaria has awarded him with the special price “ The Lion of Bavaria” for his work leading the Young Orchestra of the Easter Festival in Bayreuth. He is member of the Royal Academy of Fine Arts of Granada and Member of Honor in different musical associations in Spain and Europe, as well as gold or silver medal of various European cities.
- Gomez Martínez, a head full of music. El País October 30, 2000 (in spanish)
- Interview with Miguel Angel Gomez Martinez . Filomúsica December 15, 2007 (in spanish)
- Miguel Angel Gomez: The composers are the ones who mark us. El País April 27, 1986 (in spanish)
- Juanito Vida at the Artistic Center and other talents from Granada. Granadablogs May 16, 2013 (in spanish)
- Gomez Martinez’s new life . ABC.es November 23, 2012 (in spanish)
- Granada honors the orchestra conductor Miguel A. Gomez. El Páis January 19, 1983 (in spanish)
- Gomez Martinez opens the season of the Symphony Orchestra of RTVE. El País October 4, 1984 (in spanish)
- Miguel Angel Gomez: The relationship with the Symphony Orchestra of Galicia has worked. La Voz de Galicia August 26, 2011 (in spanish)
- Miguel Angel Gomez Martinez will be the new Chief Conductor of the Symphony Orchestra of RTVE . El País February 1, 1983 (in spanish)
- Press release. El País January 17, 1987 (in spanish)
- The Euskadi’s Orchestra under the direction of Miguel Angel Gomez Martinez and with the pianist Josu de Solaun in its abonnement season. Orquesta Sinfónica de Euskadi April 23, 2013 (in spanish)
- Acts of the International Day of Volunteering. Madrid.org November 30, 2007 (in spanish)
- Music in Support to Madrid 2020 from the hand of ORCAM. Ayuntamiento de Madrid July 19, 2013 (in spanish)
- Gomez Martinez leaves the leadership of Orquesta de Valencia today. El País June 11, 2004 (in spanish)
- I will not conduct in Teatro Real as long as Lopez Cobos is at its forefront. Eldia.es January 13, 2007 (in spanish)
- The other Gomez Martinez . Elcultural.es October 28, 2013 (in spanish)
- The RTVE Orchestra and Chorus premieres the work Morning dawning by Miguel Angel Gomez . RTVE.es March 10, 2010 (in spanish)
- Rigoletto ABAO OLBE. ABAO.org October 19, 2013 (in spanish)
- Interview with Miguel A. Gomez Martinez . Elcultural.es October 28, 2013 (in spanish)
- Concert by the RTVE Symphony Orchestra and Chorus with works by Peris, Respighi and Hindemith. RTVE.es February 15, 2006 (in spanish)
- Citizens of Granada of the XXth Century: a composer, a poet and a box-office man?. Mundoclasico.com February 22, 2002 (in spanish)
- Verdi opens this Saturday the lyric season of the VillamartaTheatre. Andaluciainformacion.es October 1, 2010 (in spanish)
- Special Price of the Ministry of Education and Culture of the State Bavaria for Miguel Angel Gomez Martinez. Beckmesser March 25, 2008
- Orchestra Conducting. Defense of the Work. Has Swarowsky, translation into Spanish by Miguel Angel Gomez Martinez.- Universal Edition Vienna, 1979, Real Musical, Madrid 1989
- Miguel Angel Gomez Martinez’s official web page
- Biography (in Spanish)
- Biography (in Spanish)
|Directors, RTVE Symphony Orchestra
|Directors, Valencia Orchestra