|First Vice President of Council of State of Cuba|
24 February 2013
|Preceded by||José Ramón Machado|
|Member of the Politburo of the Communist Party of Cuba|
10 October 1997
|First Secretary||Fidel Castro
|Born||Miguel Mario Díaz-Canel Bermúdez
20 April 1960
Villa Clara Province, Cuba
|Political party||Communist Party|
Miguel Díaz-Canel Bermúdez (born 20 April 1960) is a Cuban politician who has been First Vice President of the Council of State of Cuba since 2013. He has been a member of the Politburo of the Communist Party of Cuba since 2003, and he served as Minister of Higher Education from 2009 to 2012; he was promoted to the post of Vice President of the Council of Ministers in 2012. A year later, on 24 February 2013, he was elected as First Vice President of the Council of State; as such, he is considered likely to eventually succeed Raúl Castro as President of Cuba. His political views have been described as "hardline" and as being Marxist-Leninist, as opposed to Castroist or Guevarist.
Early life and education 
He graduated in 1982 as an electronics engineer, at which time he joined the Cuban Revolutionary Armed Forces until 1985. Beginning in April of that year he taught at the University "Marta Abreu" of Las Villas. In 1987 he completed an international mission in Nicaragua as First Secretary of the "La Unión de Jóvenes Comunistas (UJC)" of Villa Clara.
In 1993 he started work with the Communist Party of Cuba and a year later was elected First Secretary of the Provincial Party Committee of Villa Clara Province. In 2003 he was elected to the same position in the province of Holguin. He was also promoted to the Politburo in 2003.
- Damien Cave, Raúl Castro Says His Current Term as President of Cuba Will Be His Last, The New York Times, February 24, 2013
- "Who will be next to lead cuba", BBC News, 1 April 2003 (Retrieved 2 April 2013)
- Why Cuba Will Still Be Anti-American After Castro
- Miguel Diaz-Canel: Cuba’s Next President?, CBS Miami, February 26, 2013
- Ryan Villarreal, "Sustaining The System: Cuba's New VP Diaz-Canel Marks Ascent Of Younger Generation", International Business Times, 26 February 2013.
- "LOS CANDIDATOS DEL PUEBLO - VILLA CLARA (The Local Candidates)"
- "Designan vicepresidente de Cuba a Miguel Díaz-Canel Bermúdez"
- "Vicepresidente de Cuba pidió unión a los venezolanos ante intentos desestabilizadores"
- "Miguel Díaz-Canel Bermúdez - Juventud Rebelde (Diario de la juventud cubana)"
José Ramón Machado Ventura
|First Vice President of Cuba