Llera playing for Sheffield Wednesday in 2012
|Full name||Miguel Ángel Llera Garzón|
|Date of birth||7 August 1979|
|Place of birth||Castilleja de la Cuesta, Spain|
|Height||1.93 m (6 ft 4 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|2000–2001||→ San Fernando (loan)||19||(0)|
|2008–2009||Milton Keynes Dons||36||(2)|
|2011||→ Brentford (loan)||11||(0)|
|2011–2012||→ Sheffield Wednesday (loan)||4||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 19:29, 6 May 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Miguel Ángel Llera Garzón (born 7 August 1979) is a Spanish professional footballer who currently is a Free Agent after being released by Sheffield Wednesday in England, as a central defender. He has since appeared for Oldham Athletic FC as a trialist.
Llera was born in Castilleja de la Cuesta, Province of Seville. After unsuccessfully emerging through local Recreativo de Huelva's youth ranks, he represented several modest sides until 2005–06, when he contributed with 27 games (scoring three times) to Gimnàstic de Tarragona's return to the top division after a 56-year absence; however, midway through the following campaign, he was released from contract, after appearing in 12 matches (all starts) for the Catalans and scoring in defeats against Real Sociedad (2–3, away) and Getafe CF (1–3, home) as Nàstic was eventually immediately relegated back.
Subsequently Llera took his game to England, joining League One side Milton Keynes Dons in September 2008. He scored twice during his spell with the Dons, against Carlisle United and Brighton & Hove Albion.
After a successful season, with a third-place finish straight out of Football League Two, albeit without eventual promotion, Llera moved to Charlton Athletic on 2 July 2009, after turning down a new contract offer – he became the first Spanish footballer to play for the club. He quickly established himself as a fans' favourite after just four games, scoring on his debut against Wycombe Wanderers but also picking up a head injury which led him to wear a helmet for the next few games, similar to that of Chelsea's Petr Čech; he scored his first goal for the Addicks on 22 August 2009, in a 2–0 home win against Walsall.
After leaving Charlton at the end of the 2010–11 season, Llera spent some time training with Blackpool and joined them on trial, making his debut against Rangers on 19 July 2011. On 2 August he scored from a free-kick against Lancaster City, in a 1–3 defeat, and, two days later, he signed a one-year contract with the option of a further year.
On 10 January 2012, Llera was signed on a permanent deal by Wednesday, having been released by Blackpool. On 11 February, in a game against Exeter City, he suffered a head injury in an eventual 1–2 away loss, going on to miss approximately one month of action.
Oldham Athletic A.F.C
After impressing on trial, on 21 July 2014, Llera was offered a contract by Oldham Athletic.
- Sheffield Wednesday
- Football League One: Player of the Month April 2012
- Real Sociedad 3–2 Gimnastic de Tarragona; ESPN Soccernet, 17 December 2006
- Gimnastic de Tarragona 1–3 Getafe; ESPN Soccernet, 14 January 2007
- "MK Dons bring in defender Llera". BBC Sport. 1 September 2008. Retrieved 2 July 2009.
- "MK Dons 3–1 Carlisle". BBC Sport. 11 October 2008. Retrieved 26 October 2009.
- "Brighton 2–4 MK Dons". BBC Sport. 12 December 2008. Retrieved 26 October 2009.
- Javier Estera (10 June 2009). "Miguel Ángel Llera ficha por el Charlton" [Miguel Ángel Llera signs with Charlton]. Marca (in Spanish). Retrieved 10 June 2009.
- James Chard (27 May 2009). "Llera to leave as talks break down". MK Citizen. Retrieved 29 May 2009.
- "Charlton recruit defender Llera". BBC Sport. 2 July 2009. Retrieved 2 July 2009.
- "Charlton 3–2 Wycombe". BBC Sport. 8 August 2009. Retrieved 26 October 2009.
- "Charlton 2–0 Walsall". BBC Sport. 22 August 2009. Retrieved 26 October 2009.
- "Liera completes Blackpool move". Blackpool F.C. 4 August 2011. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
- Brentford sign Blair Adams and Miguel Llera on loan; BBC Sport, 8 September 2011
- "Llera loaned to Owls". Sheffield Wednesday F.C. 22 November 2011. Retrieved 1 December 2011.
- "Owls land Llera". Sheffield Wednesday F.C. 12 January 2012. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- Sheffield Wednesday sign Miguel Llera from Blackpool; BBC Sport, 10 January 2012
- Exeter 2 Sheffield Wednesday 1: Match Report; The Star, 13 February 2012
- "Offer: Miguel Llera". Oldham Athletic A.F.C. Retrieved 21 July 2014.
- Sheffield Wednesday official profile
- Hércules official profile
- BDFutbol profile
- Miguel Llera career stats at Soccerbase