Michu training with Swansea City in 2013
|Full name||Miguel Pérez Cuesta|
|Date of birth||21 March 1986|
|Place of birth||Oviedo, Spain|
|Height||1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Playing position||Striker / Attacking midfielder|
|Current club||Swansea City|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 15 December 2013.
† Appearances (Goals).
Miguel Pérez Cuesta (born 21 March 1986), commonly known as Michu (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈmitʃu]), is a Spanish professional footballer who plays for Swansea City in the Premier League as a striker or attacking midfielder.
He started playing for Real Oviedo, subsequently representing Celta de Vigo and Rayo Vallecano, making his La Liga debuts with the latter in 2011–12. In 2012 he signed with Swansea City, scoring 22 official goals in his first season and winning the League Cup.
Oviedo / Celta
Michu was born in Oviedo, Asturias. After beginning with local Real Oviedo in the lower leagues, he moved to Celta de Vigo B in Segunda División B in the 2007 summer; midway through his first season he received his maiden first-team callup, finishing the season in the starting XI of the Segunda División side.
In mid-January 2010, a transfer to La Liga with Sporting de Gijón in order to replace Birmingham City-bound Míchel was almost arranged, but it eventually fell through and Michu stayed at Celta. In his last two second level campaigns combined, he scored 12 goals for the Galicians.
On 8 June 2011, after helping the club to sixth position in the regular season, Michu netted the game's only goal in the first leg of the promotion play-offs against Granada, at home; in the second leg, however, he missed his penalty shootout attempt and his team was eliminated (4–5).
On 27 July 2011, after his contract with Celta expired, Michu signed a two-year deal with Rayo Vallecano, newly promoted to the top division. He made his debut in the competition on 28 August, in a 1–1 away draw against Athletic Bilbao.
In his first season Michu was one of the best national scorers (joint-ninth overall, best in the midfielder position), notably scoring braces against Real Sociedad (4–0 home win), Racing de Santander (4–2, home), Osasuna (6–0, home) and Real Madrid, the latter albeit in a 2–6 away loss.
On 20 July 2012 Michu signed a three-year contract with Premier League side Swansea City, for a fee of £2 million. 4–2–3–1 formation; however, he was given the number 9 shirt upon his transfer, and this saw him in coming games playing as a striker.
On his league debut on 18 August, Michu scored twice and provided an assist for Scott Sinclair in a 5–0 away win against Queens Park Rangers at Loftus Road. The first of his goals was also the first scored in the new top flight season, and he later described his debut as "incredible".
Michu stayed atop the goalscoring charts by netting the second in a 3–0 home win against West Ham United on 25 August, and the second in the 2–2 draw against Sunderland the following matchday.
On 6 January 2013 Michu scored his first FA Cup goal, coming off the bench in an eventual 2–2 home draw against Arsenal for the third round and finding the net a mere 73 seconds after entering the pitch. He followed this with another in his team's 2–0 win at Chelsea in the semi-finals of the Football League Cup.
On 23 January 2013, Michu signed a new four-year contract with Swansea. On 24 February he scored the second in a 5–0 rout of Bradford City to help his team win the League Cup for the first time in its history, in what was his 19th official goal of the campaign. he was subsequently named the team's Player of the Year, as well as the supporters Player of the Year.
Michu scored Swansea's first goal of the new season on 1 August 2013, in the club's 4–0 home win against Malmö FF for the third qualifying round of the UEFA Europa League. In the club's play-off tie against Petrolul Ploiești late in the same month, he netted the second in a 5–1 victory, also at home.
On 22 December 2012, courtesy of his performances with Swansea, Vicente del Bosque said that Michu would play for Spain for the first time in a friendly with Uruguay on 6 February of the following year. However, he did not make the final squad for that match.
On 6 October 2013 Michu was finally called up to the national team, as a replacement for injured David Villa. He made his debut five days later, starting in a 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifier against Belarus in Palma, Majorca (2–1 win).
- Swansea City
- As of 15 December 2013
|Spain||League||Copa del Rey||Supercopa||Europe||Total|
|2003–04||Real Oviedo||Tercera División||19||3||0||0||—||—||19||3|
|2005–06||Segunda División B||31||3||3||0||—||—||34||3|
|2007–08||Celta Vigo B||Segunda División B||28||10||—||—||—||28||10|
|2007–08||Celta Vigo||Segunda División||14||1||0||0||—||—||14||1|
|2011–12||Rayo Vallecano||La Liga||37||15||2||2||—||—||39||17|
|Wales||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Europe||Total|
|2012–13||Swansea City||Premier League||35||18||2||1||6||3||—||43||22|
1Includes two Segunda Division Play-off matches.
2Includes one Segunda Division Play-off goal.
In November 2012, along with fellow Premier League stars Santi Cazorla and Juan Mata, Michu bought shares in former club Oviedo as they struggled to raise €2 million to stay afloat in the third level. He spoke to the official Swansea website about his love for his former club and the decision saying, "It's my local club, a club I love, so I hope it will be enough."
- "Barclays Premier League squad numbers 2013/14". Premier League. 16 August 2013. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- "Miguel Michu". Swansea City. Retrieved 14 March 2013.
- "Michu no irá al Sporting de Gijón" [Michu will not go to Sporting de Gijón]. Faro de Vigo (in Spanish). 16 January 2010. Retrieved 9 June 2011.
- "Michu salió del banquillo para poner al Celta en el buen camino" [Michu came from the bench to lead the way for Celta]. Marca (in Spanish). 8 June 2011. Retrieved 9 June 2011.
- "Rayo Vallecano: acuerdo con Michu" [Rayo Vallecano: agreement with Michu]. esFutbol (in Spanish). 27 July 2011. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
- "Solid return for Vallecano". ESPN Soccernet. 28 August 2011. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- "Martinez red spurs Rayo". ESPN Soccernet. 6 November 2011. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- "Rayo comeback stuns Racing". ESPN Soccernet. 3 March 2012. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- "Osasuna hit for six". ESPN Soccernet. 7 April 2012. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- "Ronaldo revels in Rayo rout". ESPN Soccernet. 24 September 2011. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- Lutz, Tom (20). "Swansea City sign Michu from Rayo Vallecano for £2m". The Guardian.
- "Swans sign bargain Michu". Sky Sports. 20 July 2012. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- "Swansea striker Michu will play against Chelsea despite booking threat". The Independent. 4 November 2012. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- Ryan, Mark (18 August 2012). "QPR to shreds with Michu and Dyer at the fore". Daily Mail. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- "Michu magic inspires Swansea rout". ESPN Soccernet. 18 August 2012. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- Acedo, Francisco (22 August 2012). "Michu thriving at Swansea". Sky Sports. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- "Swansea impress again". ESPN Soccernet. 25 August 2012. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- "Swansea City 2–2 Sunderland". ESPN FC. 2 September 2012. Retrieved 10.
- "Graham to the rescue again". ESPN FC. 6 January 2013. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "Chelsea 0–2 Swansea". BBC Sport. 9 January 2013. Retrieved 17 January 2013.
- "Michu signs four-year contract with Swansea City". BBC Sport. 23 January 2013. Retrieved 23 January 2013.
- "Bradford 0–5 Swansea". BBC Sport. 24 February 2013. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- "Bantams battered by Swans". ESPN FC. 25 February 2013. Retrieved 26 February 2013.
- "Magic Michu steals the show". Swansea City. 16 May 2013. Retrieved 1 August 2013.
- "Swansea 4 Malmo 0: New boy Bony nets twice as £12m striker gives Laudrup big first leg lead in Europa League qualifying". Daily Mail. 1 August 2013. Retrieved 1 August 2013.
- "Swansea too strong for Petrolul Ploiesti after 5-1 win in Europa League". Sky Sports. 22 August 2013. Retrieved 22 August 2013.
- "Spain job will be my last, says Del Bosque". Goal.com. 22 December 2012. Retrieved 28 December 2012.
- "Del Bosque: "De momento no encontramos sitio a Michu y Aspas"" [Del Bosque: "No place for Michu and Aspas at the moment"]. Marca (in Spanish). 1 February 2013. Retrieved 1 February 2013.
- "Swansea's Michu earns first Spain call-up for final World Cup qualifiers". Sky Sports. 6 October 2013. Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- "Paso al campeón" [Champion coming through]. Marca (in Spanish). 11 October 2013. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "Michu". Football Database. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- "Chelsea and Arsenal stars team up to buy ailing Spanish club". Give Me Football. 7 November 2012. Retrieved 8 November 2012.
- "Michu answers a Real SOS back home". Swansea City. 7 November 2012. Retrieved 8 November 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Miguel Pérez Cuesta.|