Vítor on the bench for Leicester City
|Date of birth||30 June 1989|
|Place of birth||Torres Vedras, Portugal|
|Height||1.84 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|2008||→ Aves (loan)||7||(0)|
|2010–2011||→ Leicester City (loan)||15||(3)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 27 October 2013.
† Appearances (Goals).
He spent most of his career with Benfica, always as a reserve.
Vítor was born in Torres Vedras. Having been promoted from S.L. Benfica's junior squad for the 2007–08 season he made his debut for the first team in August 2007, appearing in both the league, against Vitória de Guimarães, and the UEFA Champions League, facing F.C. Copenhagen in the third qualifying round; this was because habitual starters Luisão and David Luiz were sidelined with nagging injuries.
Like midfielder Romeu Ribeiro, Vítor was loaned to second division side Desportivo das Aves in January 2008 until the end of the season. After the season's end he returned to Benfica, being relatively used in his first full campaign.
In early July 2010, Vítor joined English Championship club Leicester City in a season-long loan, teaming up with compatriots Moreno and manager Paulo Sousa. He made his debut in a 2–1 League Cup win over Portsmouth at Fratton Park on 21 September; on 6 November, he scored his first professional goal, heading from a Martyn Waghorn free kick after 18 minutes, in a 2–0 win against Barnsley at Oakwell.
On 19 December 2010 Vítor suffered a pulled hamstring in a 0–3 away defeat against Ipswich Town, being sidelined for three months. He netted twice on his return, a 3–0 success at Scunthorpe United on 12 March 2011.
Vítor subsequently returned to Benfica, being completely ostracized by manager Jorge Jesus – as practically all Portuguese players – and even being demoted to the B-team. After he refused to renew his contract, he left the club as a free agent in late May 2013.
On 24 June 2013, Vítor signed with Greek club PAOK FC. He scored his first goal for his new team – also the side's first in the new season – on 17 August, netting through a header in a 3–0 home win over Skoda Xanthi FC.
Updated as of 26 October 2013
- "Leicester City complete deal for Benfica's Miguel Vitor". BBC Sport. 9 July 2010.
- "Portsmouth 1–2 Leicester". BBC Sport. 21 September 2010. Retrieved 7 November 2010.
- "Barnsley 0–2 Leicester". BBC Sport. 6 November 2010. Retrieved 7 November 2010.
- "Ipswich 3–0 Leicester". BBC Sport. 19 December 2010. Retrieved 3 April 2011.
- "Scunthorpe 0–3 Leicester". BBC Sport. 12 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "Miguel Vítor pouco conta para o técnico" [Miguel Vítor ostracized by manager] (in Portuguese). Record. 14 December 2012. Retrieved 8 April 2013.
- "Miguel Vítor de saída" [Miguel Vítor leaving] (in Portuguese). A Bola. 25 May 2013. Retrieved 26 May 2013.
- "Κοντά σε συμφωνία με τον Miguel Vítor" (in Greek). PAOK's official website. 24 June 2013. Retrieved 24 June 2013.
- "Miguel Vítor a caminho do PAOK" [Miguel Vítor on his way to PAOK] (in Portuguese). Mais Futebol. 24 June 2013. Retrieved 24 June 2013.
- Stats and profile at Zerozero
- Stats at ForaDeJogo
- PortuGOAL profile
- Miguel Vítor career stats at Soccerbase
- Transfermarkt profile