Miguel Vale de Almeida (b. August 21, 1960 in Lisbon, Portugal) is a Portuguese, anthropologist, LGBT activist, and professor at the Instituto Superior de Ciências do Trabalho e da Empresa (ISCTE) in Lisbon. He is the current editor-in-chief of the journal Etnográfica and member of CEAS-ISCTE and APA. He was Visiting Professor (Tinker Fellowship) Dept of Anthropology and Latin American Studies’ Center, University of Chicago in the spring of 2006. As a LGBT activist, he is known in Portugal for participating in LGBT rights events, including several appearances on LGBT debates in television.
- Gender, Sexuality, Body
- Race, Ethnicity, Ethnopolitics
- Post-colonial studies, Creoleness
- Portugal, Brazil, Afro-Diaspora
- A Chave do Armário. Homossexualidade, Casamento, Família (Lisboa. ICS, 2009).
- Um Mar da Cor da Terra. Raça, Cultura e Política da Identidade, Oeiras: Celta. (2000)
- English version: An Earth-Colored Sea. Race, Culture and the Politics of Identity in the Post-Colonial Portuguese-Speaking World, Oxford and New York: Berghahn Books. (2004)
- Senhores de Si: Uma Interpretação Antropológica da Masculinidade, Lisboa: Fim de Século, colecção “Antropológica”. (first edition: 1995).
- English version: The Hegemonic Male: Masculinity in a Portuguese Town, Oxford and Providence: Berghahn Books. (2004)
- Outros Destinos. Ensaios de Antropologia e Cidadania - Porto: Campo das Letras. (2004)
- Corpo Presente: Treze Reflexões Antropológicas sobre o Corpo (org.) - Oeiras: Celta. (1996)