||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (April 2010)|
|Birth name||Mihai Trăistariu|
December 16, 1976 |
Piatra Neamţ, Romania
|Genres||Pop - Dance music|
|Occupations||Singer, composer, lyricist, math teacher|
|Labels||Sony Music, Warner Brothers, Jupiter Records, EPIC, EMI, Cat Music, Era Business, Template Records, Planet Works, Garden Records, Roton|
Mihai Trăistariu (Romanian pronunciation: [miˈhaj trəjsˈtarju]; b. December 16, 1976 in Piatra Neamţ) is a Romanian singer and musician. He represented Romania at the Eurovision Song Contest 2006 held in Athens, Greece, with the song "Tornerò". Since that competition the song has been broadcast in over 30 countries in Europe.
He comes from a family of artists. His father, Gheorghe Trăistariu, was one of the greatest painters of Piatra Neamţ and his mother, Natalia Trăistariu (born Natalia Antohi), studied medicine and performed in her youth. Mihai has three siblings: Geanina, Constantin and Vasile. All four play a musical instrument: Mihai - piano, Geanina - violin, Vasile - piano, and Constantin - trumpet and guitar. He studied piano for 10 years with a private teacher.
Mihai graduated from the University "Al. I. Cuza" University in Iași, with double major in mathematics and informatics, but chose to pursue a singing career. He graduated from the National College "Petru Rares" (high school) in Piatra Neamţ, mathematics-physics section. At 16 years of age he began to take courses in acting-directing with actor Corneliu Dan Borcia, the manager of the "Youth Theater " in Piatra Neamţ. At age 17, Mihai heard Mariah Carey's "Without You" and he began to train his voice. He went to Iași, joined the jazz courses of the Student House, led by composer and teacher Romeo Cozma.
He is one of the few male singers in the world that has a five-octave range, earning him the nickname "the male Mariah Carey". His highest recorded note was an astonishing live D♯7 (2492 Hz), which he sang when invited to a TV show. Mihai was tested and certified by a specialists in a famous Guinness Book TV Show. They concluded that Mihai Trăistariu is the only man in the world who has a vocal range of fiv octaves and a third (needs validation see here). So far only approved record belongs to singer Mariah Carey: 5 octaves and a half.
In 1998, he played in the boy-band Valahia, then began a solo career. He taught singing at the Academy of Stars - STARSCOOL in Bucharest. He also serves as the singing teacher for the finalists of the biggest Romanian music festival competition, called "Mamaia Festival".
Mihai Trăistariu is, perhaps, the most awarded Romanian singer of all time. Since his start in Romanian music, he has received 91 awards. He has won national and international competitions for interpretation or record and album sales.
He has released twenty singles and twelve albums in his native country, as well as four international singles ("Tornero", "Dimmi si o no", "Your love is high", "Puerto Rico", "Je t'aime") and four international albums ("Tornero", "Christmas", "Love" and "Best of"). He has contracts with record labels in 15 countries: Warner Brothers (Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark), Planet Works (Greece and Cyprus), Jupiter Records (Germany, Austria, Switzerland), Template Records (Malta), Vale Music (Spain and Portugal), Garden Records (England), Roton (Romania and Moldova).
He was a judge on the TV show I want to be a star on Antena One TV.
He is the organiser of the International Festival of Pop Music "Liga Campionilor" ("Champions League")] at Rasnov, Jud. Brașov, Romania. He is, together with Alina Todasca, one of the organisers of My Song Contest], a musical competition on TV.
- Obtained in Eurovision - the highest score in Romanian history: 172 points.
- Participated 6 times in national selection for Eurovision, placed 2,3,4,3,3,1
- "Best Voice in Romania": in 1999, 2000, 2003, 2006 and 2007
- "Best male voice in Romania": in 2000, in 2001 and 2006 ... and five other nominations
- "Artist of the Year" in Romania: in 2000 and 2006
- Received a star in Malta (2007), on Bay-street and one in Romania (2009), on Celebrity Noulevard in Mangalia. Mihai is the only Romanian artist with a star from another country.
- Two time winner of "Citizen of Honour in Romania", honorary citizen of Piatra Neamţ (2006), his hometown and honorary citizen of the town of Mangalia (2209)
- 5 time "Hit of the Year" with songs: "Banii si fetele", "La mare, la soare ", "Banana", "Cat de frumoasa esti " and "Tornero"
- 6 time winner "Mamaia" Festival - two times first prize, two times second prize, and two times third prize.
- 3 time winner "Album of the Year " Award: "Why", "Altceva" and "Tornero"
- Double disc Gold - Album sales for "Tornero" and "Christmas"
- 1 platinum hit — " Why"
- 8 gold hits — "Valahia", "Pisicuta", "Te iubesc atat de mult", "2002", "Curcubeu", "Altceva", "Tornero" and " Christmas"
- 43 fan-clubs in Romania, with over 31,000 fans are enrolled
- "Best male voice" (Greece, Cyprus, Malta, Sweden)
- "Hit of year" - "Tornero" (Greece, Malta, Cyprus, Sweden, Iceland, Belarus, Turkey, Croatia, Serbia, Poland, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Rep. Moldova)
- 7 trophies at international festivals: Macedonia, Belarus, Latvia, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Serbia, Georgia
- 1st place Eurodance international competition, with 11,000 popular votes
- nominated to Los Angeles Music Awards
- 11 international fan-clubs (in Russia, Sweden, Netherlands, Denmark, Belgium, Greece, Malta, Croatia, Poland, Cyprus, Rep. Moldova), with over 5,000 fans enrolled
- Greece (36 concerts)
- Rep. Moldova (25 concerts)
- USA (10 concerts - New York, Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles)
- Malta (10 concerts)
- Cyprus (9 concerts)
- Bulgaria (6 concerts)
- Belarus (3 concerts)
- Japan (3 concerts - Tokyo, Kyoto)
- Germany (2 concerts - Hamburg, Munchen)
- Norway (2 concerts - Oslo)
- Sweden (concert - Stockholm)
- Portugal (2 concerts - Setúbal,Lisbon)
Romanian Diaspora Concerts
- Germany ( 72 concerts )
- Canada ( 4 concerts - Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Kitchener )
- Austria ( 3 concerts - Vienna, Linz )
- Belgium ( 2 concert - Bruxelles )
- France ( 2 concerts - Paris )
- Italy ( 2 concerts - Padova, Venice )
- Spain ( 1 concert - Madrid )
- Cyprus ( 1 concert )
- Greece ( 3 concerts - Atena, Saloniki )
- Portugal (1 concert Lisbon,1 Concert Setubal)
- Germany ( between 2000 - 2003 - 6 tours of one month each )
- Japan (in 2002 – for 12 days)
- Rep. Moldova (in 2006 for 3 weeks).
- Sweden (in 2008 - for 14 days)
- Canada (in 2009 - for 14 days)
- U.S.A. (in 2010 - for 15 days)
- 1999: "Valahia"
- 2000: "Why"
- 2001: "Pisicuta"
- 2002: "Te iubesc atat de mult"
- 2002: "2002"
- 2003: "Curcubeu"
- 2005: "Altceva"
- 2006: "Tornero"
- 2006: "Christmas"
- 2009: "Love"
- 2010: "Best of"
- 2010: "Lie, ciocarlie"
- 2012: "Balade"
- 2004: "Cât de frumoasă eşti"
- 2005: "Iţi dau"
- 2006: "Tornero"
- 2007: "Dimmi Si o No"
- 2008: "Your love is high"
- 2009: "Puerto Rico"
- 2010: "Je t'aime"
- 2010: "Lie, ciocarlie"
- 2012: "Nu mai vreau iubire"
|Awards and achievements|
Luminiţa Anghel & Sistem
with "Let Me Try"
|Romania in the Eurovision Song Contest
with "Liubi, Liubi, I Love You"