||This biographical article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately, especially if potentially libelous or harmful. (December 2013)|
Education and teaching career
Rakshit graduated with a B.A. in economics from Presidency College, Calcutta, where he was to later spend most of his career. He completed his M.A. from the University of Calcutta and was appointed a Reader in the Economics Department at the University of Burdwan. He then went to pursue his PhD at the London School of Economics, initially under Dr Richard Lipsey and then under Dr S Andrew Ozga. The title of his doctoral thesis or the year of award is not presently available in public.
Professor Rakshit served as a professor and head of the department of Economics at Presidency College, Calcutta and then chaired the Economics Research Unit of the Indian Statistical Institute, Calcutta. He also served as faculty in the Delhi School of Economics, and the Erasmus University, Rotterdam, Netherlands. His field of research includes transnational macroeconomics and crises and recovery in developing economies.
He is the director of Monetary Research Project at Investment, Information and Crediting Agency (ICRA), Calcutta. He is the president of Annual Econometric Society. He is also the Editor-in-Chief of the quarterly journal Money and Finance.
- The Labour Surplus Economy, (Macmillan Publishers, 1982)
- Trade, Mercantile Capital and Economic Development, (Orient Longman, 1993)
- The East Asian Currency Crisis, (Oxford University Press, 2001)
- Macroeconomics of Post-reform India, (Oxford University Press, 2008)
- Money and Finance in the Indian Economy, (Oxford University Press Press, 2008)
- Studies in the Macroeconomics of Developing Countries, (Oxford University Press,1989)
- Issues in Economic Theory and Public Policy, co-edited with A. Bose & A. Sinha, (Oxford University Press, 1997)
- Planning and Economic Policy in India: Evaluation and Lessons for the Future, co-edited with M. Chattopadhya & Pradip Maiti, (Sage Publication, 1996)
- Essays on Public Intervention, Institutional Arrangements and Economic Efficiency, co-edited with M. Chattopadhyay & Pradip Maiti, (KP Bagchi & Company, 1999)
- Investment, Information and Crediting Agency (ICRA)
- Annual Econometric Society
- Mihir Rakshit (OUP 2008)
- Mihir Rakshit (OUP 2008)
- Mihir Rakshit (Orient Longman, 1993)
- Mihir Rakshit (Macmillan, 2001)
- Money and Finance
- Cornell University, April 19–20, 2002
- Ila Patnaik, Asian Currency Crisis Revisited