Tan at the 2005 AVN Adult Entertainment Expo
November 27, 1977 |
|Other names||Mika Okinawa, Leiloni|
|Ethnicity||Japanese, Taiwanese, Samoan|
|Height||5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)|
|Weight||120 lb (54 kg; 8.6 st)|
|No. of adult films||428|
Tan was born in Hawaii to a Japanese/Samoan father and an Okinawan/Taiwanese mother. She was raised by her grandmother, who was an established Hawaiian/Japanese folk dancer and singer, and was the owner of several massage parlors. While her mother's family was musical, her father's is mainly military, including her sister - who serves in the United States Marine Corps and helps Tan with her official website. As a "Navy brat", Tan traveled around the United States, Europe, Southeast Asia, the Middle East, and Africa all before she started high school.
Tan began as a child model, doing catalog work beginning at age 12, and also appeared as an extra in movies and television, including in the movie Operation Dumbo Drop; commercials, the theater. She was a member of the Movement Company dance troupe of Guam, where she performed modern jazz and ballet.
Tan studied at San Diego State University, where she earned a Bachelor's degree in Biochemistry. She also has an Associate's degree in Psychology. She did nude art modeling and was a stripper in nightclubs to support herself as a student.
Despite her aptitude for science, she did not enjoy it and worked in sales and marketing in the timeshare industry for Dennis Hof. Hof was later quoted as saying, "She is straight as an arrow; I had no idea she leaned that way; I would have approached her to work for my Moonlite Bunny Ranch back then!"
She tried her hand at acting in California, but quit after discovering that the casting couch is not a myth. She has been quoted as saying, "For the record, no adult entertainment director, producer, or crewman has ever sexually harassed me EVER. If I have to fuck for work, then I'll just fuck for work. Sure, the sex acts are documented, but at least the payoff is guaranteed in porn."
Adult film career
Tan was discovered at an am/pm by porn director Jack Pearl. Tan also had a third trimester miscarriage in this period, which she has described as the worst time of her life. She was married once, to Alec Knight, another performer in the adult industry.
Tan primarily does fetish-oriented work, including work as a dominatrix and sub for the Kink.com group of companies, mostly the "Men in Pain" and "Divine Bitches" websites, where her intense performances have made her a favorite. She also stars in non-fetish oriented work. She considers herself mainly a fetish model rather than a porn star. The official biography on her website states: "For the record, I do not consider myself a porn star and any girl who has done less than 250 films shouldn't either." Though she still does hardcore sex films, she also appears in story driven features, such as "Memoirs of a Modern-Day Geisha" (2006) (VCA).
As of December 2007, Tan had done over 1,350 fetish and hardcore scenes for video and the internet. She takes orders for custom videos through her website. Fans are told to submit a script, scenario, and choice of cast. In return, she will make the custom video for a nominal fee plus production costs.
When contract star Kaylani Lei resigned as the host on the Me So Horny internet radio show on KSEX, Tan replaced her, alongside Annie Cruz. Tan left the United States in June 2007 to handle some family legal issues for several months. Shortly afterwards, the cast and crew from KSEX all moved to RUDE.TV.
Tan has now moved into production, with her debut film featuring heterosexual Asian-American men in hardcore scenes. She is semi-retired, but manages four shoot locations, works as a certified makeup artist, studies film editing and post-production marketing, and works as an independent consultant who prepares random, time-coded quality control reports for the largest adult DVD distribution company, ensuring their fetish films do not contain scenes depicting non-consensual penetration (bound rape scenarios, abductions, or other acts which may be considered obscene or illegal by United States standards).
- 2009 Urban X Hall of Fame
- 2007 AVN Award for Underrated Starlet of the Year (Unrecognized Excellence)
- 2006 Adam Film World award for "Best Asian Starlet"
- 2006 XRCO Award for Unsung Siren
- Tan, Mika (2005 [last update]). "Portfolio Page 1". mikatan.com. Retrieved 13 November 2011.
- Tan, Mika (2005 [last update]). "Mika Tan: About Me". mikatan.com. Retrieved November 13, 2011. "Born in Honolulu, as a military brat, I was raised across the Pacific."
- Mika Tan Videos and Mika Tan Pics Gallery - BangBros Network. Retrieved December 15, 2011.
- "Mika Tan: Resume".[dead link]
- Mika Tan at the Internet Adult Film Database
- Gram Ponante. "Casual Fridays - Photo Frenzy". web.archive.org. Archived from the original on 2006-11-02. Retrieved 2010-06-01.
- Mika Tab Interview. HollymoodEntertainment.com via YouTube. Event occurs at 02:00. Retrieved June 18, 2012.
- Mika Tan Interview, HollymoodEntertainment.com, 02:52.
- "http://www.gramponante.com/2006/04/my-good-porn-friday.html".[dead link]
- http://blog.myspace.com Interview by Vincent P Davis
- www.lukeisback.com Mika Tan interview
- "Mika Tan: F-A-Q".[dead link]
- "Mika Tan: About Me".[dead link]
- TV.com - Blind Date. URL accessed on July 23, 2009.
- www.lukeisback.com Jack Pearl: The Man the Business Passed By
- "Mika Tan Starts Production House". Retrieved 2007-08-29.[dead link]
- "Bunny Ranch - Mika Tan". Retrieved 2009-03-13.
- Mika Tan: F-A-Q. Retrieved November 6, 2011.
- Gabriel Alvarez (2011-09-19). "The Top 50 Hottest Asian Porn Stars of All Time". Complex. Retrieved 2013-08-02.
- "2009 Award Winners". Urban X Awards. Retrieved August 1, 2009.
- "2007 AVN Award Winners Announced". AVN. 2007-01-16. Retrieved 2007-06-19.[dead link]
- Thomas J Stanton (2006-04-19). "Adam Film World Announces Award Winners". AVN. Retrieved 2008-06-12.[dead link]
- "2006 XRCO Award Winners". Bwdl.net. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
|Find more about Mika Tan at Wikipedia's sister projects|
|Media from Commons|