Mike Baird (politician)
|Treasurer of New South Wales|
4 April 2011
|Preceded by||Eric Roozendaal|
|Member of the New South Wales Parliament
24 March 2007
|Preceded by||David Barr|
|Political party||Liberal Party of Australia|
|Relations||Bruce Baird (father)
Julia Baird (sister)
|Children||Laura, Kate and Luke Baird|
|Alma mater||The University of Sydney|
Michael Bruce "Mike" Baird MP, an Australian politician, is the Treasurer of New South Wales in the O'Farrell Government since 2011. He is a member of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly representing Manly for the Liberal Party of Australia since 2007.
Early years and background
Baird is the son of Bruce Baird, a former New South Wales Minister and Member of Parliament, and a former Member of the Australian House of Representatives, representing Cook for the Liberal Party. His sister is journalist Julia Baird. Mike Baird is married to Kerryn and together they have had three children; Laura, Cate, and Luke.
Baird joined the National Australia Bank (NAB) under a graduate program, working investment banking for Deutsche Bank as a senior manager before spending a year in Canada studying for the Anglican ministry. At age 29, Baird unsuccessfully sought preselection for Manly, and returned to NAB, working in London, before returning to Sydney to work for HSBC Australia.
Baird was elected to the New South Wales Parliament in 2007. After initially serving time in a range of junior shadow ministries, in 2008 Baird was promoted to the position of Shadow Treasurer and touted as a future Liberal leader. Following the election of the O'Farrell government in 2011, Baird was appointed Treasurer, although O'Farrell removed some of Baird's ministerial responsibilities, transferring the authority for land tax, gaming tax, payroll tax, public service superannuation and the Office of State Revenue to Greg Pearce, the Minister for Finance and Services.
- Korporaal, Glenda (5 February 2011). "Political son wants a big gig". The Australian. News Limited. Retrieved 26 April 2011.
- Cleary, Paul (26 March 2011). "Ex-banker seeks to bring balance to Treasury: Mike Baird has the background to look after NSW's finances". The Weekend Australian (News Limited). Retrieved 11 April 2011.
- "About Mike Baird". Member for Manly. Mike Baird. Retrieved 11 April 2011.
- Lewis, Daniel; Gibson, Joel (28 December 2008). "Heir apparent promoted". The Sydney Morning Herald (Fairfax Media). Retrieved 11 April 2011.
- Clennell, Andrew (5 April 2011). "Cupboard is Baird for new Treasurer as Barry O'Farrell 'neuters' department". The Australian (News Limited). Retrieved 11 April 2011.
|Treasurer of New South Wales
|Parliament of New South Wales|
|Member for Manly