|Member of the Illinois House of Representatives
from the 115th district
|Preceded by||Gerald Hawkins|
December 30, 1960 |
Mike Bost (born December 30, 1960) is a Republican member of the Illinois House of Representatives, representing the 115th district since 1995. Bost is a candidate for the United States House of Representatives in 2014, running to represent Illinois's 12th congressional district.
Bost graduated from Murphysboro High School and attended the University of Illinois Certified Firefighter II Academy, later becoming a firefighter. Bost served in the United States Marine Corps from 1979 to 1982.
Bost ran his family's Murphysboro-based trucking business for ten years. Since 1989, Bost and his wife Tracy have owned and operated White House Beauty Salon in Murphysboro.
In May 2012, members of the Illinois House were given just twenty minutes to review and vote on a two-hundred page pension overhaul bill. Displeased with the situation, Bost ranted on the House floor. Bost's rant earned him the runner-up spot on CNN’s list of “Best Celebrity Flip-Outs of All-Time." Bost joked about his inclusion on the list, saying "I thought I was going to be No. 1."
In November 2013, Bost presented fellow U.S. Marine Archibald Mosley with Illinois House Resolution 706 for his lifetime accomplishments, including being among the first African-Americans to serve in the U.S. Marines. The presentation was part of a NAACP program.
As of 2014, Bost serves on the following state legislative committees:
- Appropriations-Higher Education
- Higher Education
- Public Utilities
2014 congressional election
Bost is running for U.S. Congress in Illinois's 12th congressional district. He ran unopposed in the Republican primary, and he will face incumbent Democratic Representative William Enyart in the general election. Illinois' largely agricultural 12th district leans Democratic, although it is home to many undecided voters. Enyart is considered vulnerable in the 2014 race. The Cook Political Report rates this race as "Toss Up" and the National Journal believes this district is the 21st most likely to flip Republican in 2014.
Bost says he is running because "the federal government has basically blown everything they are doing right now." He says he intends to fight for job growth and immigration reform. Bost has challenged opponent Enyart to as many as a dozen debates, though Enyart has “has thus far replied vaguely to forums.”
He and his wife Tracy have three children and nine grandchildren.
- "Final Illinois House Endorsements". Chicago Tribune. 1994-10-21. Retrieved 22 May 2014.
- Moser, Whet (31 May 2012). "The Politics of Mike Bost’s Pension Rant: Upstate, Downstate". Chicago Magazine. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
- "Representative Mike Bost (R)". Illinois General Assembly. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
- Vaughn, Lindsey Rae (2014-07-10). "Candidate makes stops in Union County". Gazette-Democrat. Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- "Bost rant on House floor goes viral". The Southern. May 30, 2012.
- "Watch: Ill. lawmaker loses cool over pension bill". CBS News. May 30, 2012.
- Moos, Jeanne (2014-01-20). "Richard Sherman's rant now among the best celebrity flip outs of all-time". CNN. Retrieved 22 May 2014.
- Wicklander, Carl (2-3-2014). "Large Percentage of Undecided Voters in IL-12 Leaves Election a Toss-Up". Independent Voter Network. Retrieved 22 May 2014.
- Mariano, Nick (2013-11-25). "Salute to success: NAACP gather for banquet; reminder of work that remains". The Southern. Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- "Bill Status of HR0706 98th General Assembly". Illinois General Assembly. Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- "Representative Mike Bost (R)". Illinois General Assembly. Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- McDermott, Kevin (2014-03-26). "Paper-flinging Illinois candidate Mike Bost being highlighted by national Republicans". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Retrieved 22 May 2014.
- "Race Rated Leans Democratic". June 26, 2014.
- Hale, Caleb (2013-07-27). "Murphysboro state legislator says it’s time". The Southern. Retrieved 22 May 2014.
- Wicklander, Carl (14 July 2014). "Ill. GOP Hopeful Mike Bost Forms Small Business Coalition to Compete in CD-12". Independent Voter News. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
- Representative Mike Bost (R) 115th District at the Illinois General Assembly -
- Mike Bost for Congress
- Profile at Project Vote Smart
- Financial information (federal office) at the Federal Election Commission
- State Representative Mike Bost at Illinois House GOP
- Mike Bost at Ballotpedia