Mike in June 2014
|Born||March 5th, 1959 (age 54)
|Known for||Math Abilities|
Michael "Mike" Byster (born March 5, 1959) is an American mathematician, mental calculator and math educator. He worked as a stockbroker until he quit his job and income to devote himself to teaching children his methods. Mike is able to do many arithmetic problems in his head at very fast speeds. During a study done years ago, Byster was claimed to have one of the fastest mathematical minds in the world. 
Byster was raised along with his older sister in the Chicago suburb of Skokie, Illinois. His parents, Gloria and Dave Byster encouraged his math shortcuts at a young age. He went to Niles North High School and then attended University of Illinois graduating with a bachelors degree in finance in 1981.
Byster used to work at the mercantile exchange, but after his cousin, a math teacher in a Chicago area high school, invited him to show the class his shortcuts for doing base 10 arithmetic, Byster quit his job to devote himself to teaching children his methods. After that, he continued to do shows for free to schools across the country. In December 2003, he released the website Mike's Math, but this was discontinued in 2007. In 2008, Byster produced the Brainetics math and memory system. Byster claims that Brainetics uses both sides of the brain to process and store information, allowing anyone to recall the information at a fast pace.
Mike appeared on ABC's 20/20 in 2007. From 2007 to 2010, he appeared on television shows multiple times. On January 21, 2010, Mike appeared on Oprah Radio's Gayle King show. Mike has appeared on The Shopping Channel in Canada and QVC in the United States multiple times. He appeared on Fox News June 8, 2011. He has also appeared on WGN in July 2011, Good Day New York in August 2011 and then Fox News Boston on October 27, 2011. He was on WBEZ's Afternoon Shift on September 27, 2013.
Byster got married in the early 1990s and has a son to whom he has taught his methods. He currently resides in the northern suburbs of Chicago.
- Pisarcik, Kristin (September 7, 2007). "Mikes Math". ABC News. Retrieved March 27, 2007.
- "Who Is Mike Byster, The Brainetics Pioneer". Retrieved March 29, 2012.
- "Wayback Machine". Internet Archieve. Retrieved March 27, 2012.
- Gayle King, Mike Byster (January 21, 2010). Math Whiz Mike Byster. Harpo, Inc.
- "Brainetics - New York News". Fox Television Stations, Inc. 2011-08-23. Retrieved 2013-06-21.
- Byster, Mike (27 September 2013). Teaching math by WBEZ's Afternoon Shift. Interview with Niala Boodhoo. WBEZ 91.5. Chicago.