Celizic authored seven books, including The Biggest Game of Them All: Notre Dame, Michigan State and the Fall of 1966.
Celizic had been a reporter for the Home News Tribune of New Brunswick, New Jersey, and a sports columnist for The Record of Hackensack, New Jersey. He was also a columnist for msnbc.com for 13 years. He was known for a trademark look that always included a hat.
Celizic died of cancer, survived by a wife, Margaret, and four children. He had covered the treatment on his lymphoma in a journal for MSNBC up until his decision to forgo further chemotherapy treatments following an unfavorable diagnosis of the cancer's return from remission.
- Celizic, Mike (2010-08-19). "Cancer journal: A happy birthday despite grim news". MSNBC.
- Mike Celzic. The Biggest Game of Them All: Notre Dame, Michigan State and the Fall of 1966. ISBN 0-671-75817-9.
- "A sad, fond farewell to Mike Celizic", George Malone, NBCSports.com, September 23, 2010
- "Cancer journal: A happy birthday despite grim news", Mike Celizic, MSNBC, August 19, 2010
- Malone, George (September 23, 2010). "Obituary" NBC Sports
- Levin, Jay (September 22, 2010). "Obituary NorthJersey.com
- "So Long, Mike Celizic", Jared Max, CBS New York, September 23, 2010
- "Here’s To The Hat – My Last Conversation With Mike Celizic", Ann Liguori, CBS New York, September 23, 2010