|Born||Michael Keith Chiesa
December 7, 1987
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight||155 lb (70 kg; 11.1 st)|
|Reach||76.0 in (193 cm)|
|Style||Wrestling, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Fighting out of||Spokane Valley, Washington|
|Team||Team Alpha Male|
|Rank||purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu |
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Michael Keith Chiesa (//; born December 7, 1987) is an American mixed martial artist. A professional MMA competitor since 2008, Chiesa has made a name for himself fighting in his home state of Washington and winning FX's inaugural The Ultimate Fighter: Live. He currently fights for the UFC in the lightweight division.
Mixed martial arts career
Chiesa began his professional MMA career in 2008. He fought for several regional promotions in the north-western United States, going undefeated in his first seven fights, before gaining an opportunity to appear on The Ultimate Fighter: Live reality show.
The Ultimate Fighter
Chiesa earned his way into The Ultimate Fighter house, and a $5,000 bonus, with a submission victory over Johnavan Vistante in the elimination rounds. He was chosen as the fifth pick for Team Faber. Chiesa's terminally ill father passed away shortly after his son's victory.
After teammate Al Iaquinta picked up the first win for Team Faber, his coach decided that Chiesa would fight Jeremy Larsen next. Chiesa would go on to defeat Larsen by unanimous decision after two rounds.
For his quarter-final fight, Chiesa was matched up with the highly favored prospect, Justin Lawrence. After a hard fought two rounds, the judges declared a draw and the fight went to a third, "sudden-victory" round. Early in the third round, Chiesa was able to reverse Lawrence on the ground, gain a mount position and win the fight by TKO, earning a $5,000 knock-out bonus and a place in the semi-finals.
Chiesa was selected to fight Team Cruz fighter, James Vick, in the semi-final round. Chiesa won the fight via KO in the second round. He moved on to the finals against Team Faber teammate Al Iaquinta.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Chiesa officially made his UFC debut at The Ultimate Fighter 15 Finale on June 1, 2012 against fellow Team Faber teammate Al Iaquinta. Chiesa defeated Iaquinta by technical submission due to a rear naked choke 2:47 into the opening round thus becoming The Ultimate Fighter: Live's inaugural winner and received Submission of the Night honors for his efforts.
Chiesa was expected to face Rafaello Oliveira on December 8, 2012 at UFC on Fox 5. However, Oliveira was forced out of the bout with a broken hand and replaced by Marcus LeVesseur. Then, the week of the event, Chiesa was forced out of the bout with LeVesseur with the shingles and the bout was scrapped altogether.
Chiesa was expected to face Reza Madadi on July 27, 2013 at UFC on Fox 8. However, on May 14, 2013, it was announced Madadi was pulled from the bout due to visa issues. Chiesa instead faced Jorge Masvidal.Chiesa was stopped by Masvidal in the second round due to a submission, resulting in the first defeat in his professional career.
Chiesa next faced Ultimate Fighter winner Colton Smith on November 6, 2013 at UFC Fight Night 31. He won the fight via submission in the second round. The win also earned Chiesa his second Submission of the Night bonus award.
Film and television
Championships and achievements
- 2012 MMA "Valor" Award 
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Lords of the Cage
- LOTC Lightweight Championship (One time) 
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|12 matches||11 wins||1 loss|
|Win||11–1||Francisco Trinaldo||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 173||May 24, 2014||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||10–1||Colton Smith||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC: Fight for the Troops 3||November 6, 2013||2||1:41||Fort Campbell, Kentucky, United States||Submission of the Night|
|Loss||9–1||Jorge Masvidal||Submission (D'arce choke)||UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Moraga||July 27, 2013||2||4:59||Seattle, Washington, United States|
|Win||9–0||Anton Kuivanen||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 157||February 23, 2013||2||2:29||Anaheim, California, United States|
|Win||8–0||Al Iaquinta||Technical Submission (rear-naked choke)||The Ultimate Fighter 15 Finale||June 1, 2012||1||2:47||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Won The Ultimate Fighter 15; Submission of the Night|
|Win||7–0||Darrell Fenner||Submission (rear-naked choke)||CageSport 16||October 1, 2011||1||0:45||Tacoma, Washington, United States|
|Win||6–0||Matt Coble||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Lords of the Cage 6||July 16, 2011||1||2:13||Manson, Washington, United States|
|Win||5–0||Evian Rodriguez||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Lords of the Cage 5||April 28, 2011||1||1:03||Airway Heights, Washington, United States|
|Win||4–0||Darcy James||Submission (D'arce choke)||Battlefield Fight League 7||March 26, 2011||1||0:53||Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada|
|Win||3–0||Andy Paves||Decision (unanimous)||Rumble on the Ridge 14||October 20, 2010||3||5:00||Snoqualmie, Washington, United States|
|Win||2–0||Brian Wilson||Decision (unanimous)||Arnett Promotions 3||February 21, 2009||3||5:00||Clarkston, Washington, United States|
|Win||1–0||Charon Spain||Submission (triangle choke)||Thunder and Lightning||August 16, 2008||2||N/A||Lapwai, Idaho, United States|
Mixed martial arts exhibition record
|Win||4–0||James Vick||KO (punches)||The Ultimate Fighter: Live||May 25, 2012 (Live airdate)||2||1:55||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||The Ultimate Fighter: Live Semi-Final round|
|Win||3–0||Justin Lawrence||TKO (punches)||The Ultimate Fighter: Live||May 11, 2012 (Live airdate)||3||1:02||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||The Ultimate Fighter: Live Quarter-Final round|
|Win||2–0||Jeremy Larsen||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: Live||April 6, 2012 (Live airdate)||2||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||The Ultimate Fighter: Live Preliminary round|
|Win||1–0||Johnavan Vistante||Submission (rear naked choke)||The Ultimate Fighter: Live||March 9, 2012 (Live airdate)||1||2:05||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||The Ultimate Fighter: Live Elimination round|
- "'The Ultimate Fighter 15' cast unveiled with 32 lightweight fighters". MMAJunkie.com. February 27, 2012. Retrieved March 19, 2012.
- "'The Ultimate Fighter 15' cast unveiled with 32 lightweight fighters". MMAJunkie.com. February 27, 2012. Retrieved February 27, 2012.
- "Mixed martial arts results, Season 15 – The Ultimate Fighter". State of Nevada, Department of Business and Industry Athletic Commission. March 9, 2012. Retrieved March 25, 2012.
- "Episode No. 5 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter: Live'". MMAJunkie.com. April 6, 2012. Retrieved May 14, 2012.
- "Episode No. 10 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter: Live'". MMAJunkie.com. May 11, 2012. Retrieved May 14, 2012.
- "Episode No. 12 Recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter: Live'". mmajunkie.com. May 25, 2012.
- Staff (August 30, 2012). "UFC on FOX 5 adds Mike Chiesa vs. Rafaello Oliveira". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved August 30, 2012.
- "Replacement Marcus LeVesseur meets Michael Chiesa at UFC on FOX 5". MMAjunkie.com. October 24, 2012.
- Staff (2012-12-03). "Michael Chiesa ill, scratches from Saturday's UFC on FOX 5 event". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-12-03.
- Staff (2012-12-20). "Mike Chiesa vs. Anton Kuivanen added to UFC 157 fight card on Feb. 23 in Anaheim". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2012-12-20.
- Staff (2013-04-23). "Michael Chiesa vs. Reza Madadi added to UFC on FOX 8 in Seattle". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-04-23.
- "Reza Madadi out of UFC on FOX 8, Jorge Masvidal now meets Michael Chiesa". mmajunkie.com. 2013-05-14.
- John Petit (2013-08-23). "Michael Chiesa Vs Colton Smith Confirmed For Fight For The Troops". fighters.com. Retrieved 2013-08-23.
- Staff. "UFC Fight Night 31 bonuses: Kennedy, Chiesa, Khabilov, Masvidal win $50,000". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-11-06.
- Tristan Critchfield (2013-06-17). "Lightweights Joe Lauzon, Michael Chiesa slated for UFC Fight Night in Connecticut". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- Fight Life: MMA Documentary
- "TUF Live Finale bonuses: Kampmann, Chiesa, Lawrence, Cofer win $40K awards". mmajunkie.com. June 2, 2012.