|Member of the Missouri House of Representatives
from the 80th district
January 7, 2009
|Preceded by||Mike Daus|
St. Louis, Missouri
|Residence||St. Louis, Missouri|
|Alma mater||Truman State University, St. Louis University|
Mike Colona is a Democratic member of the Missouri House of Representatives. Before redistricting, Colona represented the 67th district. Colona currently represents the 80th district, which is centered on the Tower Grove South area within the city of St. Louis. Colona also serves as the House Minority Whip for the 96th General Assembly.
Mike Colona was born in St. Louis in 1969. He is a 1987 graduate of Fox High School in Arnold, Missouri. Colona earned a Bachelor of Science from Truman State University and a J.D. from St. Louis University. A lawyer in private practice, he specializes in personal injury, worker’s compensation and some first amendment cases. Colona has also served as an adjunct professor of criminal justice for the University of Missouri - St. Louis. Colona is openly gay and both his 2008 and 2010 campaigns won the support of the Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund. He is one of three openly LGBT legislators in Jefferson City, alongside Sen. Jolie Justus (D–Kansas City) and Rep. Jeanette Mott Oxford (D–St. Louis).
American Legislative Exchange Council
Colona resigned from the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) stating:
“The American Legislative Exchange Council is not the innocuous, bipartisan organization it purports to be. Their agenda is radical and wrong for Missouri.”
In August 2008 Colona defeated four other Democratic challengers in the primary to replace term-limited Representative Mike Daus. Colona won with nearly 43 percent of the vote. No Republican ran for the seat so Colona was unopposed in the November 2008 general election. In the 2010 general election Colona handily defeated Republican challenger Curtis Farber with 82-percent of the vote to win a second term.
|Missouri 67th District State Representative Election 2010|
- Board member, St. Louis Effort for AIDS.
- Ex officio board member Grand Oak Hills Neighborhood Association.
- Past President, Truman State University Alumni Association.
- Member, Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys.
- "Hulshof leads Steelman for GOP governor spot". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. 2008-08-05. Retrieved 2008-08-09.[dead link]
- "Smart Voter: Mike Colona biography". Retrieved 2008-08-09.
- "Two red hot primaries: Colona vs. Landmann, Wright-Jones vs. Hubbard". The Vital Voice. 2008-07-11. Retrieved 2008-08-09.
- "Victory Fund endorsed candidates: Mike Colona". Retrieved 2008-08-09.
- "Maida Coleman takes side in tough Tower Grove primary". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. 2008-07-21. Retrieved 2008-08-09.[dead link]
- "Missouri Secretary of State: August 2008 primary results". Retrieved 2008-08-09.
- "Intriguing Democratic contest goes to Colona". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. 2008-08-06. Retrieved 2008-08-09.
|This article about a Missouri politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|