Early Man (band)
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (August 2010)|
Early Man in 2006.
|Origin||Ohio, United States|
|Genres||Heavy metal, speed metal, Thrash Metal|
The End Records
Early Man is a heavy metal band from Brooklyn, New York, now based in Los Angeles, California. Guitarist and vocalist Mike Conte began performing under the name "Early Man" in the early 2000s, and when drummer Adam Bennati moved to New York in 2003, the two formed the nucleus for the current line-up. Drawing influence from bands such as Black Sabbath, Mercyful Fate, Megadeth, Judas Priest, Kreator, Celtic Frost, and early Metallica, their traditional approach quickly gained the attention of the independent music scene and they released their first EP in early 2005 on Monitor Records. Matador Records quickly signed them and released their debut LP, "Closing In", in the fall of the same year. Lead guitarist Pete Macy was added to the band's lineup in 2005. The band has used several bass players over the years and at times will perform without one.
The band cut ties with Matador Records and signed with The End Records in 2008. They released "Beware The Circling Fin", a 4-song EP on October 14, 2008, and tours with Iced Earth, High On Fire, 3 Inches Of Blood, Toxic Holocaust, Skeletonwitch, and Valient Thorr soon followed. The follow-up to the group's debut album is entitled "Death Potion". It was recorded and produced by Jack Endino. "Death Potion" was released on July 20, 2010, and the band did a fall tour with Evile and Bonded by Blood. Prior to the tour Mike Conte announced that he had officially cut ties with Adam Bennati. The band is currently using various touring drummers for live shows.
In July 2011 it was announced that Mike Conte is the Composer for a new show debuting on the Cartoon Network called Secret Mountain Fort Awesome. Conte is in charge of all of the music for the show which premiered in the fall of 2011.
- Early Man (EP) (Released April 5, 2005 on Monitor Records)
- Closing In (Released October 11, 2005 on Matador Records)
- Beware The Circling Fin (EP) (Released October 14, 2008 on The End Records)
- Death Potion (Released July 20, 2010 on The End Records)
- 2007 - "More to Me Than Meat and Eyes", from the film Aqua Teen Hunger Force
- 2007 - "Feeding Frenzy", from the video game MLB 07: The Show
- 2007 - "Evil Is", from the video game NHL 2K8
- In 2009 the original version of "Death Is The Answer To My Prayers" from the Early Man EP was featured in the first episode of HBO's Eastbound & Down.
- In September 2009, the song "Death Is The Answer" from Closing In was featured in a line of RadioShack commercials.
- Strip 482 in the webcomic Questionable Content referenced Early Man, where Martin Reed describes them as sounding "like Black Sabbath if Ozzy Osbourne weren't functionally braindead now."